Author Topic: Photobucket problem?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline RickB

Re: Photobucket problem?
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »
You might want to consider another photo hosting site.

I really prefer Picasa over photo bucket.

Picasa has a little known hidden feature that lets you resize photos (or rather constrain the size) on the fly when linking to them.  That feature is nice since not all forums support specifying the image size when posting the [img] code.  Example: [img width= 640, height = 480]

I can also link to my Picasa account through my Roku player to do slide shows right on my large screen high-def TV.

Flickr is also supported by some streaming devices.

How are the upload speeds

Offline RickB

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »
You might want to consider another photo hosting site.

I really prefer Picasa over photo bucket.

Seriously?  I just spent an hour downloading , importing, multiple sign ons and then another 30min trying to upload to an album. After that was done still could not find a way to get a Img link. That is without a doubt the most convoluted piece of crap software I have ever used. I could have done all of that in 10 min with PB.  I'm just sayin! But your right if you have to want to edit your photos it's all there. Personally I would rather  do it right from the git go. It also loads all your my documents folder into its database. Lord only knows what google is looking at there. It should ask you which folders you want to load but it does not. Stay away from this! Be warned!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:15:31 PM by RickB »

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »
First off, I wasn't talking about their horrendous Picasa software.  I agree, it's crappy, cumbersome and there's no need to use it - AT ALL!  Sorry Rick, I didn't consider that you'd download that piece of... you know what!

Get rid of it and skip their software altogether. Use whatever you like for editing, etc. and use the Picasa website as a hosting site ONLY. That requires absolutely NO downloads at all.

Secondly, Picasa, unfortunately, does not give you the [lMG] code (PhotoBucket, admittedly, does make that easy), but linking to a photo from ANY photo host site is easier than you think.

Internet Explorer: Right-Click on the image (in picasa, PhotoBucket, flickr, etc.) and click "Properties".

In the Properties box highlight & copy the Address (URL) - (right-click, then click "copy" or use Ctrl+C ).

Paste the Address (URL) inside [lMG] [/lMG] tags like this:

[lMG]httqs://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-r9p2ZSEYXYU/UB82Dgte6lI/AAAAAAAADIw/1BB0Uh5tqKU/s640/BSLT01.JPG[/lMG]

FireFox & some other browsers make it easier:

Simply Right-Click on the image (in picasa, Photobucket, flickr, etc.) and click "Copy Image location"

Then paste it inside the Image Tags:  [lMG]paste the URL location here[/lMG]

Doing that is very quick and easy, like the IMG code feature in PhotoBucket.

As far as your upload speed question:  Again, DON'T USE THE PICASA SOFTWARE!  The Picasa website has a built-in multi-image uploader that is easy and quick using a drag & drop (Click the "Upload" button at the top of your Picasa website page).

When it opens, it looks like this:

Just drag & Drop your photos from the folder on your PC to the box. You can type a new Album name, or use an existing album to upload them to.

Hope this helps and makes it less confusing!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:26:47 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
BTW - The Picasa Website does have a built-in photo editor (called the Creativity Kit) that will let you do some basic photo editing right on the website after you have uploaded the image. You can crop, resize, adjust sharpness, color, contrast, etc.

Again, I'm talking about the website, NOT the software.

If any Picasa users want to know the Picasa IMG code trick for scaling photos in any forum it's very easy!

In the URL you will see a tags that looks like this: .../s800/... 

This tells the host server to constrain the image to a MAXIMUM of 800 pixels (width or height).  Just change it to .../s640/...,  .../s500/...  or to whatever pixel size limit you want.

Again, I hope someone finds this useful!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:44:44 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RickHH

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:28:33 PM »
In the past I used Photobucket and just joined again because I cant seem to open my old account...now with the new version I have not figured out how to take a photo and transfer it from PB to the forum.....Old age is no fun.. :'(

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 11:32:04 PM »
Old age is no fun.. :'(

no kidding.  my sister said it best, "getting old isn't for sissies".   i like the old photo bucket too.  the new one was to hard to use.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline RickB

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:18 PM »
Trust me friend I was not upset with you. It was that intrusive software I could not deal with. Lets hope PB see's the light of day or deals with their upload speed problems. I'll quit posting before I deal with either again. Just not worth it.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 12:21:44 AM »
I load my photos to my blog and the automatically go into Picasa and they load fast this way. I use Photoshop elements to resize my photos to 900 ppi, pixels per inch at 150 dpi. I can do this in batches to a folder and select them when I load to Picasa. I can log in to Picasa anytime just to view. The 900 ppi works good for my blog but for in here they are a little larger than the screen, you see a slider at the last photo in my posts. 800 would probably be better. I will see if I can do one from Picasa and get it in right. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 12:48:41 AM »
For alls info still not positive about the warning from my anti-virus software Avast. I switched over to the new version and I don't get the warning anymore. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 02:31:44 PM »
All might not be so bad for you who use Photobucket, I got an e-mail today saying as soon as they get all over to the new system they will work on adding some features that were in the old ver. I don't mind it too bad, the biggest issue I have now is I can't upload to a specific album even if it's the one I have open. When I upload they go into my first album that must be the default one. I can move them but that's a pain. If they never fix that I may have to look at using Picasa. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi