Author Topic: Fire Safety No. One  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Fire Safety No. One
« Reply #-1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:41:38 AM »

Reading a recent post here and seeing an embarrassing photo posted by a member of a charred circle in his deck. Thanks to his post it should be reminding us that with any outdoor cookers safety should be number one.

I have read many close tragedies over the three years I have belonged to BBQ forums. One had cold smoked salmon for years in a homemade smoker made from wood, a smoke chamber made of an electric hot plate with wood chips in a pan on top and the smoke piped into another wood chamber. I remember seeing his set up and thinking it didn’t look that safe but he had used it for years. It wasn’t long when he posted about his fire; the fire also destroyed a nice work shed too.

I have read several fire related posts in here. The best and safest surface to cook on outdoors is cement or Mother Nature earth and open air above. Many use cookers on their wood decks or covered patios. My cook area is a covered wood deck built against my house; very convenient but not the safest.

First thing you should have is a fire extinguisher. For a pellet smoker you need one rated “A, B, C”. I bought one at Walmart for $22, rated A, B, C, good for 10 years and refillable. I was able to locate it where it is handy for my smoke area and my kitchen.

Next is if you have your cooker on a wood deck get a good mat for under it. I only found one that was fire resistant and comes in a rectangle or circle. It is made from cement product and I got mine at Lowes, a rectangle about 3X4 feet. I think it was $37.

In reality all cooking devices should be closely monitored when in use. With long and overnight cooks not uncommon with pellet smokers one tends to go back to bed or do other things while they’re cooking. If you do this at least get a good remote monitoring system where you can monitor pit temps. along with meat temps and it should have high and low pit temp warnings. My Maverick ET 732 has a low temp. warning but I have to visually monitor for high pit temps.

Another good tip for controlling grease fires is to keep a box of baking soda on hand. It may save you a larger fire and you may be able to save whatever you are cooking. It will just have a built in antacid!

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
Re: Fire Safety No. One
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:54:53 AM »
Good reminder Don.  Another point to consider is to keep your cooker clean and serviceable.  I think many of us had a grease fire from a gunk build up and I hope none of us had to deal with a fire from a gas leak.  Also, use your equipment as intended.  I don't know, but I suspect that the gentleman with the burnt circle on his deck tried  to get more heat output by doing something outside of the manufacturers directions.  (Tommy - that last bit of advise naturally does not apply to you.  :D).

Be safe and cook some tasty food.

Offline RAD

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 06:21:43 AM »
Don't forget that when using a fire extingusiher:

P A S S

Pull the Pin at the top of the extinguisher. The pin releases a locking mechanism and will allow you to discharge the extinguisher.

Aim at the base of the fire, not the flames. This is important - in order to put out the fire, you must extinguish the fuel.

Squeeze the lever slowly. This will release the extinguishing agent in the extinguisher. If the handle is released, the discharge will stop.

Sweep from side to side. Using a sweeping motion, move the fire extinguisher back and forth until the fire is completely out. Operate the extinguisher from a safe distance, several feet away, and then move towards the fire once it starts to diminish. Be sure to read the instructions on your fire extinguisher - different fire extinguishers recommend operating them from different distances. Remember: Aim at the base of the fire, not at the flames!!!!
Love to cook and eat

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 06:33:56 AM »
I'm amazed at some of the set-ups I've seen posted on various forums... grills under awnings, grills next to the house, cooking in garages, etc.

A fire extinguisher is NOT an optional cooking tool. It is essential... not only near the grill but in the kitchen and garage. I have three extinguishers readily available... one in the kitchen closet, one right outside the door going into the attached garage and one mounted at the garage exit door. Not quite as fancy as an Ansul system but effective if need be.

Another tip I learned... if you're deep frying, be sure to have a cover large enough to cover the pot in case the oil flares. Once oil gets to 425 degrees or so you're getting it too hot for safety.

There are some videos on UTube about turkey fryers and cereamic cooker blow backs. They're worth looking at.

We all love playing with fire but be careful.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:20:56 AM »
Don that is great advice! I too have read about many fires that have happened or a
"Almost" fires over the years. Fires are usually started when we least expect them. So be safe people. The things that you have done for the past 10 years the same way might bite you one time.

And Don the ET-732 has both high and low alarms for the cabinet/cooker temps. It will also alarm if it loses connection with it's base at the cooker. It has been my trusty companion for my overnight pellet cooks ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:44:01 AM »

Yep, it can happen when you least expect it..

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »
Hey Pat, you got a "before" picture cause I cant make out the After :)

Edit: Ok its the drip tube and bugget, I see it now :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:22:36 AM by Keymaster »

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:16 AM »
Hey Pat, you got a "before" picture cause I cant make out the After :)

That's my grease drain spout on the side of my MAK.
I had a grease fire break out inside of it, and the flames were shooting out the grease drain like a blow torch before I cut the power..

Did a h*ell of a number on my powder coating.   ???

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Fire Safety No. One
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »
Last week I had the grease pan underneath my SRG catch fire while making some burgers. Yeah, it was time to clean it out ;)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »
Absolutely fantastic advice!  And, a reminder, too.  My cookers are all on a concrete slab covered by a metal support and roof so I'm not concerned with catching anything else on fire, BUT all of them are capable of malfunctioning in some way or another and having a glorious conflagration inside.  I'll make a trip to the hardware store and get one of those handy extinguishers before I fire up for my next cook.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:34 AM »
My dad was a firefighter and he always said to keep it close, but not next to the cooker. You don't want to reach right at the fire for the extinguisher. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

Fire Safety No. One
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
Nice post and comments. Had a grease fire in my Mak.....poor maintenance. Charred a nice circle on my composite deck from my chimney starter.....poor use of brain.

Thanks SD.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »
This is a great thread. No matter what type of equipment or fuel type you use it is always safety first.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:08 AM »
i got a pool.  if anything catches fire i just throw it in the pool.  i always thought common sense of cleaning my equipment would work.  but, i don't have a fire ex out back.  i will get one today.  i do have kids who use my bbq's.  they don't have common sense.   :'(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66