Author Topic: Is it just me or have others noticed???????  (Read 6662 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Is it just me or have others noticed???????
« Reply #-1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »
I'm a member of six forums, well five now due to attitudes but that's another story...

Anyway, I noticed on a few of the other sites   (not including this site)   That the general attitudes of the other site is if your not of one mind set we don't care to reply or even discuss your post.  Is it me????

Reason this site is so good, no one way of thinking and everyone has something good to bring to the table.
I have phone #'s of a few here and know I could call if need to and would get a big "HI"  not a lecture.

Not bragging on the site,  just saying as big as the internet is you'd think other forums would be a  good source of info instead of a bunch of "know it all types"

OK getting of by soap box now,

Thanks   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it just me or have others noticed???????
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »
I agree with you 100% Tommy... this is the place to be.....check your attitude and ego at the door and Lets Talk BBQ...... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
I don't have time to spend on many forums (wish I did!) So, I've had to be very selective. And, for many of the reasons you cite, Tommy, I agree this is probably the best one I've seen. I still like the CB forum as well - many of the same folks - also friendly and helpful; I like it especially for the tips I get on specific types of equipment while this one is broader. A pefect pair for my interests.

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »
i too belong to a couple of forums also.  most other forums are for one form or cook equipment.  didn't say that right.  ummm.....  a pellet forums are for pellet ppl, weber forum are for weber ppl and so forth.  this forum takes all forms of cooking.  that alone is  why i'm here.  i like charcoal and my wsm's, kettle and pbc.  i also love my pellets and my mak.  i love seeing tommy post on his srg's.  love seeing smoke and capt cooking stuff w/ charcoal.  this really is a very good forum.  i kinda cook by the sit of my pants and i like it that way.  never planning anything.  and the ppl here are good w/ it.  you ppl are my friends.  this really is the best forum around.   8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:06:46 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »
EXACTLY Tommy. I like seeing what everyone is cooking and on what. I like the sharing of ideas and seeing how they are done. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »
What Sparky said!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »
What Sparky said.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Sam3

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:34:37 PM »
I agree with sparky too. I've been very hesitant to join any "other" forums.
This site gives me a little bit of everything and that is a blessing.

MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »
Tommy I agree with you on how some forums are run. The Ego stuff gets to me!

I am on the Jets forum the most
The backyard Theater forum the second most.
Two food forums (including this one) the third most.
The Cardinals Baseball & Football the fourth most.
The Genesis (music) forum is another forum I am on about once a month. 

The sports forums are 50/50 as far as people being nice. (Cardinals baseball & football get low grades).

The Jets are about 65/35 good people)

The Backyard Theater is also a great site until they closed two weeks ago

Food forums are great with people always willing to help (just don't mention Turkey bacon or Ketchup on steak) ;D

The Genesis forum is about 70/30 as far as people being nice.

One other thing I have noticed ......People from other countries are generally very nice people on all the forums. 
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
the only two BBQ forums I belong to are this one and CB

I joined this one for all the above reasons and that some of us had other kinds of equipment that it wasn't appropriate to discuss on the CB forum, since it is hosted by CharBroil for their users.

Technically all 6 pieces of my outdoor cooking equipment are Char-Broil. but I get a huge kick out of doing my indirect cooks on my old vintage aluminum Char-Broil grill. it's my way of rubbing CB's nose in the fact that they never should have quit producing that line ;)The only folks making an aluminum grill now are the PK folks and the new PK version of my old Char-Broil is now $300  :o

the other thing I love about his site is nepas' sausage threads
Yep, I like to do that with the mods I make to all my grills/cookers.  Shows how much better they could be  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 01:23:19 PM »
I agree with all this is ONE GREAT site! This is the place to be for talking BBQ! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:34 PM »
To me a good forum should be open to discussing all ideas, techniques, methods, and equiptmet because there ain't no one right way. As our lives change our techniques, methods and desires change. Growing up all our cooking was true BBQ as invisioned as old timey in that there was no such thing as charcoal or gas cooking.  It was all wood.  As I got older I did charcoal for years.  Then I went to gas.  Now all of mine is gas or electric grillin, roastin, and smokin because I'm cotton pickin' lazy and want the convience.  I still learn alot by reading the posts by charcoalers and stick burners that I can convert to my equipment and tecniques.  Another thing that is important is lack of egos. Nobody was born good at this outdoor cookin stuff.  It was learned over a period of years by trial and error, money availablity, time available, mentoring and some other things.  As those things progress in life from little to a lot expetise grows and I think as that expertise grows it's good to be sort of humble and pass on what you have learned from others so that the student becomes a teacher.  I believe when that happens you are helping to pass the torch to new comers who in turn will do the same thing over time and that's what makes this "hobby" which we love so much to continue to flourish and grow for our children, their children and generations to come...all because you lit the humbilly and without ego lit the match today.  Other than that....I have nothing to say. ;D  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 01:58:49 PM »
What I've learned from years of online forum participation is that the written word deserves some care and consideration.  When we post, nobody can see our face and nobody can hear our voice.  Our words are all we have to show.  Sometimes those words can have unintended meanings or can be read in ways in which we did not really say them.  That's why some forum members get their feelings hurt.  It isn't deliberate.  It's just the medium.

Yes, bad and hurtful things are sometimes posted deliberately and when that happens a good moderator jumps on it and takes appropriate action.  Good forum posters, repliers, and moderators apply tolerance and judgement to what they write.  Reconsideration resulting in "I'm Sorry" has even been known to occur.

Helpful hint:  Those funny face "emoticons" at the top of the message box can help you get your point across in addition to just being entertaining.
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 03:12:01 PM »
I'm a member of six forums, well five now due to attitudes but that's another story...

Anyway, I noticed on a few of the other sites   (not including this site)   That the general attitudes of the other site is if your not of one mind set we don't care to reply or even discuss your post.  Is it me????

Reason this site is so good, no one way of thinking and everyone has something good to bring to the table.
I have phone #'s of a few here and know I could call if need to and would get a big "HI"  not a lecture.

Not bragging on the site,  just saying as big as the internet is you'd think other forums would be a  good source of info instead of a bunch of "know it all types"

OK getting of by soap box now,

Thanks   

Tommy

You are 100% correct.

On another forum (not going to say) There is a guy who thinks he knows all, if your not doing things his way it seems your on the blackball list...I wont mention but you may know him. I also see folks from other forums leaving and coming to LTBBQ.

I have had 100% support with everyone here and have met with some of you.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »
I notice the same thing. I was just actually thinking the same thing a few days ago when i posted my wings in the great SRG (can I say that here ;D) Especially if I post the same cook on both forums. Unless you cook with that specific type cooker, you might as well save your keystrokes and pics uploads. I pretty much visit this one and occassionally the other.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker