Author Topic: TendaRub  (Read 19829 times)

Offline Jaxon

TendaRub
« Reply #-1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
Scopin' out YouTube earlier and I saw a video that piqued my interest.

It's about a product called TendaRub...supposed to tenderize ribs and such so that you only have to cook 'em for an hour before they are nice and tender.

Anybody had experience with this product?  Any reason NOT to try it?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: TendaRub
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »
No personal experience, BUT if it sounds too good to be true probably is.
Snake oil sales are alive & well :o
Hopefully I'm wrong.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:16:49 PM »
Jax - I would check for MSG, but there could be other ingredients that assist with meat tenderizing. These are usually enzyme based. But - I tend to agree with LA. Time, fire, smoke.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 01:29:56 PM »
Interesting to make a grill out of a truck tool box.
They looked a little burnt but that could be just the result of  the method of cooking.
Lighter fluid?  Leaves a  taste does it not?
Where can you get it?  I'm willing to try anything once.
Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »
I just checked their website, Tendrarub.com.  They are in north GA just outside of Atlanta. The product is sold in the northern and western counties of GA.  I emailed to find if there are any in the Augusta area.  Check out their website. Pretty well done and interesting the way this product was developed.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
1 hour to cook the ribs and 4 hours to burn off all the lighter fluid he used... sheesh!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 03:02:14 PM »
No reason not to try it at all -- however: 

Most "fall off the bone" ribs are overcooked, mushy and have lost most of their flavor.  If you like them that way you might like the product.  I'm also hearing "MSG" which is, in itself, not horrible, but in large quantities gives some people problems.  I'm a "doubting Thomas" on this one.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
No reason not to try it at all -- however: 

Most "fall off the bone" ribs are overcooked, mushy and have lost most of their flavor.  If you like them that way you might like the product.  I'm also hearing "MSG" which is, in itself, not horrible, but in large quantities gives some people problems.  I'm a "doubting Thomas" on this one.

Hub

I understand how you feel Hub - I used to think my wife's allergies were more "in her head"....until we wound up in the emergency room ;). I have seen the evidence for both sides of the MSG argument - and, unfortunately experienced one side of it.
It was not a immediate thing - but years of exposure that created a "sensitization" to MSG for me. Not exactly like an allergic reaction. Kind of hard to believe...until it happens to us. :)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »
Jaxon - will that rub make ribs at tenda as your heart?  :D :D

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »

I understand how you feel Hub - I used to think my wife's allergies were more "in her head"....until we wound up in the emergency room ;). I have seen the evidence for both sides of the MSG argument - and, unfortunately experienced one side of it.
It was not a immediate thing - but years of exposure that created a "sensitization" to MSG for me. Not exactly like an allergic reaction. Kind of hard to believe...until it happens to us. :)

When I was writing the article series on Appearance, Taste and Tenderness that KCBS uses for some training, I was very surprised to discover in my research that MSG is a natural substance that normally occurs in some foods.  I always supposed it was an "unnatural" chemical additive.  It is a super-saturation of it, when it is used as either a tenderizer or a flavor enhancer or both, that is the real culprit.  I've read that Frito-Lay has cut way back on using it (was a major contributor in their potato chips) and it isn't uncommon to see "No MSG" signs in some restaurants, particularly Chinese. 

Aside from the well known sensitivity and reaction problems, I've found that rubs that are high in MSG will cause some texture/tenderness problems (instead of solving them) in some barbeque approaches.  The MSG emulsifies the outer surface of the meat.  Then, depending on how the meat is cooked, it will either stay mushy or develop a "super bark" that isn't exactly pleasant to the mouth feel.  These effects are most pronounced when the rub is left on for an extended period prior to the cook.

Back to the "Tenda Rub" -- I'm really curious to know what's in it.  If it is MSG I'd most certainly stay away from it.  The only other natural tenderizer I'm aware of is acetic acid (which creates the powerful sourness of vinegar) and I don't think that would taste very good.  I really am curious.  Maybe somebody will "guinnea pig" a package.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »
1 hour to cook the ribs and 4 hours to burn off all the lighter fluid he used... sheesh!
I was thinking the samething while watching the first par of the video  ??? ???   

Hub is right about ribs being over done.   Now My ribs take about 1.5 hrs give or take a few mins in infrared and they pull off the bone like they should. But his looked a little "To Done"  :o :o

If Dee will get some and let us know how it does that would be great!  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 05:27:43 PM »

If Dee will get some and let us know how it does that would be great!  ;)

If Dee got some, maybe he could take a picture of the label's ingredient list for us.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »

When I was writing the article series on Appearance, Taste and Tenderness that KCBS uses for some training, I was very surprised to discover in my research that MSG is a natural substance that normally occurs in some foods.  I always supposed it was an "unnatural" chemical additive.  It is a super-saturation of it, when it is used as either a tenderizer or a flavor enhancer or both, that is the real culprit.  I've read that Frito-Lay has cut way back on using it (was a major contributor in their potato chips) and it isn't uncommon to see "No MSG" signs in some restaurants, particularly Chinese. 

Aside from the well known sensitivity and reaction problems, I've found that rubs that are high in MSG will cause some texture/tenderness problems (instead of solving them) in some barbeque approaches.  The MSG emulsifies the outer surface of the meat.  Then, depending on how the meat is cooked, it will either stay mushy or develop a "super bark" that isn't exactly pleasant to the mouth feel.  These effects are most pronounced when the rub is left on for an extended period prior to the cook.

Back to the "Tenda Rub" -- I'm really curious to know what's in it.  If it is MSG I'd most certainly stay away from it.  The only other natural tenderizer I'm aware of is acetic acid (which creates the powerful sourness of vinegar) and I don't think that would taste very good.  I really am curious.  Maybe somebody will "guinnea pig" a package.

Hub

Yep - it does occur naturally in some foods. That is a good point that a lot of us forget Hub. And - in a discussion recently with Cliff (Tenthunter) he has learned a lot from some food allergies - that could benefit all of us.
You are right on target about how MSG can make meat "mealy" textured.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RickB

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »
Well a spot right down the road from me sells it.  I'll grab a bottle and let y'all know.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 05:39:07 PM »
Well a spot right down the road from me sells it.  I'll grab a bottle and let y'all know.
Please do, I'm over in that part of the country 2 to 3 times a year and would get some if it's good
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION