Author Topic: TendaRub  (Read 19830 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Re: TendaRub
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
From the Tenda Rub website: "... he heard a voice that whispered the name of an ingredient.  Immediately, he knew that it was the voice of the Lord, and that it was the missing ingredient for the chicken recipe."

Call me a heathen but I absolutely refuse to try a product whose developer claims God (yes, that God - the old Jewish guy who looks like George Burns and spells his name with a really big capital "G") whispered the name of the secret key ingredient in his ear.  I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:59:19 PM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pappymn

TendaRub
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
From the Tenda Rub website: "... he heard a voice that whispered the name of an ingredient.  Immediately, he knew that it was the voice of the Lord, and that it was the missing ingredient for the chicken recipe."

Call me a heathen but I absolutely refuse to try a product whose developer claims God (yes, that God - the old Jewish guy who looks like Mel Brooks and spells his name with a really big capital "G") whispered the name of the secret key ingredient in his ear.  I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night.

God likes good chicken ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »
I would guess vinegar is heavily involved too. When my little smoker was down I started using this method from BBQ Pit Boys to get some pretty good 2 hour ribs. They use cider vinegar to tenderize the ribs and help the spices get down into the meat. The first time I did this I did two rack of baby backs, one using the cider vinegar and rub and one with CYM and rub. The vinegar ones did get more tender and had a "sweet" taste I was not used to but wasn't unpleasant. I am not a fan of fall off the bone ribs anyway, but they were tender and juicy.

Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »

Call me a heathen but I absolutely refuse to try a product whose developer claims God (yes, that God - the old Jewish guy who looks like George Burns and spells his name with a really big capital "G") whispered the name of the secret key ingredient in his ear.  I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night.

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck either Turtle. I will pass on this rub, and I hardly ever pass up a chance to try a new rub but I can't do this one.........not after reading that hogwash...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
ya can't cook a proper rib in a hour.  i don't care what you use.   >:(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »

I told you'll SNAKE OIL salesmen are alive & well ::)
I didn't just fall off the turnip truck either Turtle. I will pass on this rub, and I hardly ever pass up a chance to try a new rub but I can't do this one.........not after reading that hogwash...........
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
for the record...contains NO MSG!!

What IS that secret ingredient?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »
I just watched the entire video and he burned those poor racks of ribs. Some of the people tasting them asked what kind meat the ribs were. If you have to ask what kind of meat they are than you are not a good judge of ribs IMHO.

He did not need to remove the silver skin because he burned it off. I think anyone can grill ribs in an hour over coals as hot as those were.

Says there is a patent pending on the jar. I wonder what ingredient he has in it that requires a patent?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
TendaRub
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »
I just watched the entire video and he burned those poor racks of ribs. Some of the people tasting them asked what kind meat the ribs were. If you have to ask what kind of meat they are than you are not a good judge of ribs IMHO.

He did not need to remove the silver skin because he burned it off. I think anyone can grill ribs in an hour over coals as hot as those were.

Says there is a patent pending on the jar. I wonder what ingredient he has in it that requires a patent?
It's a secret for now and probably really good for ya ;) ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 09:48:15 PM »

I know that God loves us and meets our needs.  This man was on the brink of financial collaspe.  Why wouldn't God answer his prayers?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:54:36 PM by Tinnmel »

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
TendaRub
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
What's not to like, just look at what he says. Bahahahahaha!

All this and you'll have championship quality ribs.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:51:58 PM by mikecorn.1 »
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
for the record...contains NO MSG!!

What IS that secret ingredient?

Only the Lord knows for sure Jaxon... ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 08:42:52 AM »
I wonder if they have a rub that will make a 1 hour brisket??  :P Hogwash...
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:21 AM »
Ed Mitchell, formerly associated with The Pit in Raleigh, NC, did a Rib Throwdown with Bobby Flay and cooked his ribs in one hour. No TendaRub required.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
1 hour to cook the ribs and 4 hours to burn off all the lighter fluid he used... sheesh!

I know, that made me cringe before he even got to the meat & Tenda Rub in the video.  YUCK and DOUBLE YUCK!!!!

ya can't cook a proper rib in a hour.  i don't care what you use.   >:(

I agree wholeheartedly!  Part of the flavor profile for me is the gentle application of smoke, and that just can't be rushed at a high temp.

...I was very surprised to discover in my research that MSG is a natural substance...

...in a discussion recently with Cliff (Tenthunter) he has learned a lot from some food allergies - that could benefit all of us.

I don't want to get off topic on this thread, so I'll do a writeup about MSG and it's makeup, etc. in a thread/section that focuses specifically on that subject that can hopefully shed a little light. :)

As far as how it relates to the Tenda Rub discussion -  I can tell you that MSG is not an effective tenderizer, as it can only tenderize to the extent that salt (sodium chloride) can. Tenda Rub must be using other tenderizing ingredients.

Quote from: Hub
The only other natural tenderizer I'm aware of is acetic acid (which creates the powerful sourness of vinegar)

Acetic Acid is one. Here are a few other natural tenderizers commonly used in marinades: Pineapple & Papaya - contain Bromelain & Papain enzymes (respectively), Citrus juices contain Citric acid, Wine contains natural phosphates.  Yogurt & buttermilk are rich in natural phosphates and lactic acid which can also tenderize.

I would love to see an actual ingredient list for Tenda Rub posted on their website for allergen info.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:08:56 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68