Author Topic: brisket flats  (Read 824 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
brisket flats
« Reply #-1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:29:28 PM »
howdy ya'll.   :)  i got a question.  i bought a brisket flat from costco.  i don't have a needle thinging to inject it.  if i soak it in my mixture w/ the flat soak some of the stuff into its pores?  i drink alot of gatorade.  so i was thinking about some grape gatorade and beef stock in a ziploc w/ the flat.  will it work?   ???  don't laugh.  its a good question.  i just don't know.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: brisket flats
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:23:26 PM »
Do you have a Foodsaver marinade canister? that would be the next best thing if it would fit in their. I must admit I have only done 2, yes two briskets and did not inject either and they came out great. I will PM you the directions I used incase you ever want to try it.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »
howdy ya'll.   :)  i got a question.  i bought a brisket flat from costco.  i don't have a needle thinging to inject it.  if i soak it in my mixture w/ the flat soak some of the stuff into its pores?  i drink alot of gatorade.  so i was thinking about some grape gatorade and beef stock in a ziploc w/ the flat.  will it work?   ???  don't laugh.  its a good question.  i just don't know.   8)
I have a brand new injector I'm sending you.. I just finished putting a cool box together for ya! Will UPS it this weekend...
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Pappymn

brisket flats
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »
Gotta have an injector for brisket, chicken, turkey.......just about anything. Make sure the needle will support thicker injections.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »
Sparky if you can get a full packer go for it. That large hunk of meat comes out so much more tender than just a flat. Then you can separate the point and make some burnt ends. And all the leftovers that your son can eat ;)

I was able to get a full packer from Wally Mart
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:57:47 PM »
Sparky, look up Neely's Cider brisket on Google. I've done it numerous times with great results, especially, if you can get a CAB. I inject, also.  ;)

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:46:55 AM »
howdy ya'll.   :)  i got a question.  i bought a brisket flat from costco.  i don't have a needle thinging to inject it. 
I have a brand new injector I'm sending you.. I just finished putting a cool box together for ya! Will UPS it this weekend...

thank you scally and YA.

thank you all for the tips.  i just bought a flat so thats what i got to work w/.  and i do have cherry pellets so i will use them.   drip pan w/ water.  check.  mustard on the flat or just rub?  i'm thinking of using Fine Swine & Bovine for my rub.  i figure stick w/ what you know.   smoke for 2 hours then bump to 250° until it hits 190° for slicing and foil after that?  sounds good?  okie dokie.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »
Briskets can have a mind of their own.  Injecting one isn't absolutely necessary but, particularly if it is just the flat portion, the injection is moisture insurance.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »
I would start at 225F until it hits a 160F IT then bump to 260F until the IT is 200F to 205F

The choice of rub sounds real good! Have you thought about trying molasses instead of CYM for the slather? And then maybe a spicy rub to offset the sweet?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Fine Swine and Bovine will be an excellent choice Sparky.

If you check at the market, you might find Tony's marinades with a injector taped to the bottle. Good way to have one on hand. The next time I order some Cajun Injector marinades they always toss in a freebie injector (they work purdy good), I will send you a couple...hang in there and good luck on the briskie...injecting is not a deal maker by any means....sometimes they come out just fine without injecting and sometime you wish ya did.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
Sparky , sometimes you gotta work with what you got.
I use CYM or oil just to get the rub to stick.
I'd smoke @ 220-300F ( in this range I vary temp to get my product done at an convenient time.
I would foil or covered pan when temp of meat reaches 160-170 or so.
Cook till meat temp is about 200F ( I like the probe test)
Let rest an hour or two & serve.
For brisket I only slide what I'm using that day.
I refrigerat the leftovers then slice & store.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp