Author Topic: Col. Robert L. Howard VA nursing home, Pell City, AL  (Read 7590 times)

Offline TwoPockets

Col. Robert L. Howard VA nursing home, Pell City, AL
« Reply #-1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:39:40 PM »
I have moved my Dad into the Col. Robert L. Howard Nursing home in Pell City, AL. and I can't believe how nice this place is and how much I appreciate how much they are doing for out veterans. He was living in a typical nursing home that was smelly and they kept him either laying in a bed or sitting in a wheelchair out in the hall all day. This place is like a resort and they are taking so much better care of him. He has been there for a couple of weeks and the difference in how he is doing is amazing. If you have a parent who is a vet or is a spouse of a vet, there are is so much assistance out there that they are so much entitled to that most of us don't know about. I went out to visit today and it is amazing how much better he is doing.

Had never heard about Col. Robert L. Howard but he was a true American hero. Depending on which website you read he was the most decorated American soldier since WW-II and Aucey Murphrey or the most decorated ever. Dee and Capt Jack might have heard of him.

It is just so nice to see my Dad come from being a vegatable to looking around and being able to enjoy his surroundings. OK, it has nothing to do with cooking and it is late at night, but since most of my last few years have been tryiing to take care of him and worrying, it is nice to feel good about how he is being taken care of.

If you are a vet or your parent or is a spouse of a vet there are benefits out there that you or your parent;s are entitled to. Check on it.

Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Pappymn

« on: March 18, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »
My philosophy is that we can never do enough for veterans who have served in harms way.  Never. All the way to he end.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Col. Robert L. Howard VA nursing home, Pell City, AL
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »
Ken, I can't imagine what you are going thru.  I don't know anything abut Col Howard.  I'm glad your Daddy is in a better place.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:17:05 AM »
Glad to hear they are taking care of the men that fought for our freedom.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline crchamp

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
My parents are in a veterans home in Louisiana (Jennings). Both my mother (93) and father (98) were in the Marine Corps during WWII. Two and a half years ago, my mother fell and broke her hip. She ended up in a nursing home in their hometown (Houma) and it was a terrible experience. Fortunately, she didn't have to stay there long as an opening became available at the veterans home for both of them. It has been quite a blessing and the place is SO much nicer than any nursing home. They love it when I visit and bring some Texas brisket (just to keep in the whole BBQ theme!)

Offline Don O

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
God Bless All the Robert Howard's of the United States.
Thank you for allowing me to have and enjoy the freedom I live with.

Offline Patio Cook#1

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »
Well that certainly is a VERY nice set up for the veterans living in the state of Alabama.
I wish our state had such facilities for vets.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »
We can never do enough for our parents and veterans.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
Ken,

Good for your dad and good for you to find this for him. And thank you for letting us know about the options and opportunities. My dad retired as a Brigadier General and the time for something like this (he's 86) may be sooner than later. I've been worrying about quality of care vs. available funds and you've inspired me to look further.

Thank you,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Sam3

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »
Wow. Thank you to all our Vets for your service. That was a great video you posted too.
I love how he was snarling as he spoke. What a hero.

Ken, I'm happy your Dad is in a good place.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »
Ken,

Good for your dad and good for you to find this for him. And thank you for letting us know about the options and opportunities. My dad retired as a Brigadier General and the time for something like this (he's 86) may be sooner than later. I've been worrying about quality of care vs. available funds and you've inspired me to look further.

Thank you,

David

David, Dad started getting Aid and Assistance while he was still in an assisted living facility but aid for home care is also available.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »
Ken,

Thank you,

David

David, Dad started getting Aid and Assistance while he was still in an assisted living facility but aid for home care is also available.

Thank you, Ken!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »
Dee and Capt Jack might have heard of him.

What am I?  Chopped liver? I was stationed briefly at Benning with Bob Howard back in late '73-early '74.  Didn't know him that well but had a lot of mutual friends and some work and social contact in the Infantry School and Airborne Department. Good guy and glad to see that he has a worthwhile legacy.

I also watched a couple of the other MOH vids that pop up after the one Jack posted.  Bob Patterson's was kinda funny - he was one of my NCOs at Bragg in '70-71 and we reconnected when he was a sergeant major here in the late 70s-early 80s.  He still tells the same story he did then but has cleaned up cleaned up his language - in those days it was "I had no fukkin' idea what happened."  Checked out one or two others of people I knew back in the day - pretty neat stuff.  Just so you know, most of those guys were nuts (and it was a good thing they were)!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »
Ken it must be really good to know your dad is being well taken care of. Thanks for sharing :)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »
I love the idea of naming schools and roads for our heroes, instead of self-serving worthless politicians.  Need way more respect for these heroes.

I have a great book that tells the story of every CMH recipient. Just amazing stories
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109