Author Topic: Col. Robert L. Howard VA nursing home, Pell City, AL  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Don O

Re: Col. Robert L. Howard VA nursing home, Pell City, AL
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »
Hi Pappymn,
If you don't mind sharing, what is the name of that book?

Offline Pappymn

Col. Robert L. Howard VA nursing home, Pell City, AL
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 07:56:14 PM »
Hope this link works. It is called Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond The Call of Duty.

A beautiful hardcover book.

http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Edition-Peter-Collier/dp/1579654622/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363737252&sr=8-1&keywords=medal+of+honor+portraits+of+valor+beyond+the+call+of+duty
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
Ken it must be really good to know your dad is being well taken care of. Thanks for sharing :)

Key it really is good to have him in this place. After my Mom was killed is a boating accident in 1998 I have been trying to take care of him as he slipped deeper into his dementia. He was in a bad assisted living facility then in a good one, then had to go in a nursing home that was pretty bad and was costing nearly $6,000 a month. This place is awesome and they seem to have hired all first class personnel, not just folks that can't find a better job. I was out there yesterday and sat with him while they were feeding him lunch. He would look around and say how nice the place was and would look at the young lady that was feeding him and tell her how pretty she was. He has always been a charmer. I am not sure he knew who I was, some days he knows and some days he thinks I am his youngest brother.

There are men and women Vets in this home in varying degrees of health from assisted living to skilled nursing care. Most of them seem to be WW-II or Korea era with quite a few Vietman vets in there.

I just want to say again, if you are a Vet or have a parent who was a Vet or was a spouse of a Vet, there are benefits out there that they earned while serving our country. You don't hear much about them but don't fail to get with the VA and ask. I was lucky in that Pell City had a little 2 person VA office that was open a couple of days a week and when I found out he might be eligible I went up there and a very nice lady gave me the forms and told me what to answer on each question for him to get the maximum benefits. Having dealt with Social Security and other government agencies whose only goal seems to be denying benefits, it was a very welcome change.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
I didn't recognize the name "Robert'' Howard but recognized his picture and knew him as Bob Howard. He and I were classmates at the Command and General Staff College, Ft Leavenworth, KS in 1979-1980.  Never heard anything negative about him.  I had the opportunty to serve with four Medal of Honor recipients during my time in the Army. One of them, Hal Fritz and I had our promotion to captain celebration party together.   I was assigned to the Infantry School as a Leaderhip Instructor after returning from Viet Nam in '69 and there were so many Infantrymen there who had done heroic things in combat that it was accepted more or less as common practice of being a soldier. At one time on the Leadership Committee we had two MOH recipients, four Distinquished Service Crosses (one fellow had two) and numerous Silver Star awardees.  Y'all may have seen the movie with Mel Gibson about the Idrang Valley. There were number of NCOs on the committee who were there.  Later on when I went back to the Infantry School as a chief of one of the branches in the Infantry School, the sergeant, Savage, who was prominent in the movie as the NCO whose unit was isolated worked for me.  He was awarded the DSC for his action there.  The Charlie company commander of the isolated company which was cut off, Edwards, was my boss.  I saw him in the shower at the gym one day and he had holes all in his back from wounds he got there.  I never knew he was in the Idrang until I saw him protrayed and interviewed in Gibson's movie.  That's the type of heroes Howard and many others were and are.  Unfortunately, the last picture I saw of Bob Howard awhile before he died and the years had really taken a toll on him. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:54:18 AM by deestafford »
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »
I was kinda wondering when your memory would kick in.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
I was kinda wondering when your memory would kick in.

I would imagine that happens less and less often these days.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
say what? What y'all talking about?  Oh, well.  It doesn't matter anymore since I forgot what I was gonna say. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers