Author Topic: Help on Hard Boiled Eggs!  (Read 810 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Help on Hard Boiled Eggs!
« Reply #-1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:30:29 AM »
I really hate to admit this; but I have more trouble doing hard boiled eggs. The shells sometimes just do not peel well and wants to stick to the whites. Lately I have tried new methods. My old method was to boil from 3 to 5 minutes then remove from the heat, cover, and let set for 15 minutes. I then ran cold water over until the eggs were cool.

I just tried a method from a gal’s food blog she said was the perfect way. She said to use eggs that were at least two weeks old. Cover with water and bring to a hard boil, cover and remove from the heat. Let them set for 17 minutes then douse them in ice water. I followed her directions to a tee. They were terrible; the first three was not bad but did not peel as well as I would have liked. The next three I did the whites did not seem firm enough and wanted break and come off the yoke. Besides all that the yokes were not done enough for me. You can see in the photo the dark yellow is not done. For me the yokes should be a uniform light yellow.

I am beginning to blame the eggs; I have been using Egglands Best large white eggs. I am going back to my old method and try some different eggs for now.

If any of you have a better ways or ideas please let me know. Can’t boil eggs! Don

A bad egg!

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Help on Hard Boiled Eggs!
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:42:05 AM »

I've seen methods where people do them in the oven in pans with great results.  Lemme see if I can find it again..

Offline Scott6049

Help on Hard Boiled Eggs!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
I have heard of the oven way to, my brothers wife cooks them that way. Let me ask her and will get back to ya
MAK Grill 2 Star General #1366 **
Weber Charcoal Grill
Old Gasser
Whoo Hoo BBQ
Let's get SMOKING!

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:59:08 AM »
My wife is often asked to make hard boiled eggs for church functions and she HATES eggs.  So, you can guess who gets to do them.  My method always works for me:

(I usually do two dozen at a time)

Place eggs in big pan like a stew pot and completely cover with cold water.  Over medium-high burner, bring the water to a full, rolling boil (this can take a while with cold eggs and cold water but helps to cook them very evenly).  Remove pan from burner and cover with lid.  Wait 15-20 minutes.  Remove residual heat by placing pan in sink and running cold water into it (not just pouring out hot water) for ten minutes.

Cracking and peeling the eggs is a bit of an art and an acquired skill.  I do best by "bashing" the end of the egg on the counter to kind of craze the shell on that end.  Next, peel off the shell in chunks as large as possible.
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:03:06 AM »

(I usually do two dozen at a time)

Place eggs in big pan like a stew pot and completely cover with cold water.  Over medium-high burner, bring the water to a full, rolling boil (this can take a while with cold eggs and cold water but helps to cook them very evenly).  Remove pan from burner and cover with lid.  Wait 15-20 minutes.  Remove residual heat by placing pan in sink and running cold water into it (not just pouring out hot water) for ten minutes.

Cracking and peeling the eggs is a bit of an art and an acquired skill.  I do best by "bashing" the end of the egg on the counter to kind of craze the shell on that end.  Next, peel off the shell in chunks as large as possible.

Same here. Best method I've found. Also, 'older' eggs peel easier :)
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:52:08 AM »
I use a steamer. They come out really well that way. I have a more difficult time getting the eggs right in boiling water.

I think Hub is in to something allowing the eggs to come up to temp with the water. Sounds like they would cook more evenly that way.

You can also get those containers that hard boil an egg in the microwave but I don't know how well those work.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »
I have always started my eggs in cold water but I do it on high so maybe the lower heat would do better, bringing them up slower. How long do you steam them Muebe? I just bought some cage free brown eggs to try. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:58:57 AM »
I have been steaming eggs for years. 18 mins and done.

Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »
I have always started my eggs in cold water but I do it on high so maybe the lower heat would do better, bringing them up slower. How long do you steam them Muebe? I just bought some cage free brown eggs to try. Don

I use the same steamer as Nepas. As he stated 18 minutes and done. Great for veggies, rice, etc.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
My method is to let my wife do them.  I have no idea how she does them, but they turn out good.  I have tried a ton of ways, and I have screwed them up every possible way.  I quit!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
Thanks to all for the quick response and help. Steaming is the answer I liked and tried. Perfect; I did 6 eggs in my Aroma rice steamer about 20 min. Let set about 5 min. then cooled one down & pealed. It was easy and perfect, the yoke was done. The other 5 set at least 20 min. the steamer lid was open. They were still pretty hot so ran cold water over about 5 min. Peeled as easy as the first one so it seems forgiving to how long you let them sit. I was wanting to pickle some eggs. Thanks again. Don

Eggs peeled and ingredients to pickle.

Pickling, one on the right is in with some Anaheim peppers I pickled, on the left is with onions, turnips, a dill spear and the spices above.

Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi