Author Topic: Working on a presentation for our Kiwanis Club....  (Read 782 times)

Offline dawrecknq

Working on a presentation for our Kiwanis Club....
« Reply #-1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
About Operation BBQ Relief. I have recently volunteered to travel and respond with OBR. I was very close to responding to West, Tx. In fact was packed, equipment loaded in the trailer, truck gassed and heading out of town. Then they said they thought they'd had enough teams show and to save my gas. I have been a volunteer with our churches response teams and have been to several serverely impacted cities over the years. I am sure many on here heard of the Greensburg Tornado, the Andover Tornado and many others. I know from being there that feeding the multitude of first responders and victims is an utmost priority. If I can use my equipment and what few cooking skills I have developed to better serve those most in need; then I feel this is the direction I need to go. God has blessed me tremendously and I am going to serve my Lord and Savior, by serving those most in need. But this post isn't about me. I will be giving a presentation to our Kiwanis Club soon about OBR, which hopefully will lead to a service project to raise much needed response funds for OBR! If there are any members on here who have been to a disaster, know of some who have or can help provide me specific information about OBR's previous deployments I would be grateful to hear them. Especially in ways that OBR has impacted children, since serving children is our main priority. If you want, you can pm me or post here. Many, many thanks to all!!
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Working on a presentation for our Kiwanis Club....
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:37:28 PM »
First - i want to say that I am proud of/for you to be able to participate in a noble and worthwhile cause in serving those who serve all of us.

And - I admire you following your conviction. A man is not complete unless he recognizes that which is greater than himself, and the reason to put others ahead of self.

I am third.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Working on a presentation for our Kiwanis Club....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
I signed up for this great group. I have received much in the way of correspondence. I would love to help more, but it seems very hit and miss.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:36:53 AM »
Sounds like you have got your priorities in line.  Thanks for what you do.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »
Thanks T- I appreciate the kind words.

Pappy- having been on a response team for many years....it seems like having the opportunity to serve does seem hit and miss. I know that it seems like I go forever without the opportunity, then suddenly more than I can volunteer for. Just stay patient, I am sure your time will come.

SB- Your welcome; just trying to do my part!
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 05:46:38 PM »
well done
King of the OldSmokey

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
Thank you for what you and your group does. Having been frustrated by trying to finding small ways to help after so many of the disasters we have had here locally, this sounds interesting. We have been able to do our small part after tornadoes here but an organized effort sounds better.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
It's you and people like you who make America GREAT!  Thank you.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
A great organization. My hat is off to you and your whole group, and I hope you're able to raise some great funds with your presentation.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
Thank you for what you and your group does. Having been frustrated by trying to finding small ways to help after so many of the disasters we have had here locally, this sounds interesting. We have been able to do our small part after tornadoes here but an organized effort sounds better.

TP- one thing that I have learned.... it is not always a huge response that means alot. For instance, Harveyville, Ks 2012; the entire OBR response was one cook team. Yet, they were able to bring in some corporate help with food, supplies and the dreaded extrasentials. You know those essentials that you always need extra of. The nice thing is, you have experienced responders to call on if and when your own community needs it. One team starting a cook or response will bring many. I wish I had time and space to really delve into some of the responses that I have researched. But in the most recent; West, Tx: over 500 meals cooked the first nite alone. Over 12,00o meals cooked, delivered and served over 9 days. This response ended on Sunday; then OBR was called to come back. They stayed through Wednesday providing meals for every memorial that needed it. Delivered 375 breakfasts every day to school kids.