Author Topic: Traeger Pellets FDA Approved  (Read 5863 times)

Offline Pappymn

Traeger Pellets FDA Approved
« Reply #-1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:22:13 PM »
Was at Costco this morning, and they are having a Traeger road show right now. Guy asked me if I had one, I said no, but that I did have a pellet grill. Saw me looking at the Traeger pellets, and shared that they are the only FDA approved food grade pellet. He also said they will burn longer as they are made using 10,000 PSI of pressure when manufactured.  By the way, $15 bucks for a 20 pound bag.

Thought both these comments were interesting
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Traeger Pellets FDA Approved
« on: May 03, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »
I have used other pellets that I like better than Traeger but too hard for me to get here in NW Ohio. I am kind of locked in to using Treager pellets but I do like their oak as well as any I have used, they burn clean, hot and slow and I like the flavor I get. I have to pay $18.99 a bag here. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
As far as I know there is no such thing as a "Food Grade" pellet. If the FDA is involved now with approving food grade pellets that is new news to me. Companies offer cooking pellets but you cannot be 100% sure what you are getting due to no regulation. So unless you watched them being made who knows.

There are Fast Eddy pellet cookers that are approved for restaraunt use. He had extensive testing done for their approval.

As far as density of a pellet well that can work against you. If the pieces are too large and dense that can stop or slow the auger. And at lower temps that can cause excessive ash.

And many of the traeger brand pellets use flavored oils to create different wood flavors. This allows very consistent temp results with all types but not as much flavor IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
As far as I know there is no such thing as a "Food Grade" pellet. If the FDA is involved now with approving food grade pellets that is new news to me. Companies offer cooking pellets but you cannot be 100% sure what you are getting due to no regulation. So unless you watched them being made who knows.

There are Fast Eddy pellet cookers that are approved for restaraunt use. He had extensive testing done for their approval.

As far as density of a pellet well that can work against you. If the pieces are too large and dense that can stop or slow the auger. And at lower temps that can cause excessive ash.

And many of the traeger brand pellets use flavored oils to create different wood flavors. This allows very consistent temp results with all types but not as much flavor IMHO.

muebe is correct on all counts.  Perhaps one of our pellet manufacturer members will see this and let us know if there has been any action by the FDA or what it is, otherwise.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »
I don't care for Traeger's flavored pellets but their 100% oak pellets are hard to beat. For me in my Traeger 07E they burn hotter, last longer, and very little ash compared to any other pellets I have tried. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Amazen1

• A-MAZE-N Products
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »
Pellets....Pellets and Pellets......!
So, here's my take on the subject
Try a few different brands
Find the one you like and stick with it
All too often, guys try several different brands, and don't learn their equipment.  Then, quickly blame the pellets.

Though I'm NOT the manufacturer, I have learned a few things about pellets.
I've tried a few brands, and dig LumberJack.  Not because they're the best, but I'm a dealer, so it's a No Brainer for me!
I also get some 100% Peach, 100% Apple, 100% Pecan, 100% Mesquite and a few other varieties from other manufacturers.  These are not meant to perform in a pellet pooper.

Some manufacturers use oil to lubricate the dies of their pellet mill.  I believe this is where the term "Food Grade" is being borrowed from.  The only other type of oil would be petroleum oil.
Did you know that the waste oil from McDonalds is "Food Grade".....ISH!
I just had a discussion with the guys at LumberJack last week, and there was no mention of any U.S. Government approval for any pellets.  My guess is the salesman at the Costco Road Show was giving a "Sales Pitch"

So, the moral of the story...Find some pellets that perform well in your smoker, and stick with them

Todd

A-MAZE-N Products

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »

My guess is the salesman at the Costco Road Show was giving a "Sales Pitch"

Traeger has not lately been known for spreading the truth and I think you are likely correct, but stranger things have happened.  Using another brand of pellets in your Traeger WILL NOT void your warranty, as some believe, and the statements of the hired shills ("Traeger Reps") at Costco shows are legendary in their falsehood.  Traeger dealers are getting scarcer, too, as the company continues to circumvent them and undersell them.  In marketing-ese, this is indicative of a final stage in the product lifecycle wherein the seller maximizes return on an obsolete product by moving as much as possible through the lowest cost channels.  This does not mean that Traeger pellets or cookers are a bad deal, but rather that they seek to occupy a bottom of market position on purpose.  Bargains abound for the discerning  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline BAM1

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:34:28 AM »
Let me say right  off, I love my Traeger Texan and have had many successful cooks on it with excelllent results since getting it in August.  Now, that being said, I voided the warranty by adding a Savannah Stoker and although I started out burning Traeger pellets and also tried Cammeron. I have gone exclusively to Lumberjack.  INMHO they seem to last longer.  This past weekend I did three butts over night in the rain and upper 30's and when I checked them at the 8 hour mark my hopper was down 2".  With supplemental smoke using my AMAZEN tube at the end of 14 hours they were done and I had used only 1/3 hopper of pellets.  In Iowa i pay $28 dollars for a 40 pound bag.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »
... Using another brand of pellets in your Traeger WILL NOT void your warranty, as some believe, and the statements of the hired shills ("Traeger Reps") at Costco shows are legendary in their falsehood ...

As Hub and many others have pointed out, using another brand of pellets in your Traeger will NOT void your warranty if you don't use thier pellets.  As far as I know, they are the only manufacturer, which also make pellets, to require their customers to use their BBQ pellets.  I'm no lawyer so don't take my words as gospel! ... but those that know a lot more than I do claim the following:

There is one grill manufacturer who requires their customers exclusively use their BBQ pellets and threaten their grill owners by voiding their product warranty if they don’t comply.  However, “tie-in sales” are addressed in a federal law as follows:

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.

Referring to the Federal Magnuson-Moss Act; Section regarding tie-in's..... Quoting,
"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."  This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »
Mak just started making their own pellets too
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »
Mak just started making their own pellets too

I spoke with MAK Daddy last summer and their MAK All-Star Hazelnut Blend Barbecue Pellets are manufactured for them by a pellet company in Oregon  :)  ;)  Have used their Hazelnut Blend and I really like the results!!
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »
My sister and her husband bought a Traeger road show at the costco. She said hey my brother been using these for years and maybe you know him?

So she tells him and he says yeah i know him.

So sis he gotcha EH

Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »
... Using another brand of pellets in your Traeger WILL NOT void your warranty, as some believe, and the statements of the hired shills ("Traeger Reps") at Costco shows are legendary in their falsehood ...

As Hub and many others have pointed out, using another brand of pellets in your Traeger will NOT void your warranty if you don't use thier pellets.  As far as I know, they are the only manufacturer, which also make pellets, to require their customers to use their BBQ pellets.  I'm no lawyer so don't take my words as gospel! ... but those that know a lot more than I do claim the following:

There is one grill manufacturer who requires their customers exclusively use their BBQ pellets and threaten their grill owners by voiding their product warranty if they don’t comply.  However, “tie-in sales” are addressed in a federal law as follows:

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.

Referring to the Federal Magnuson-Moss Act; Section regarding tie-in's..... Quoting,
"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."  This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 10:27:35 PM »
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »
Many manufacturers try to tie the product to the "dispenser". This was most famous with Gillete's motto - give away the razor and sell the blades. It is common in the cleaning industry - chemical proportioners that are tied to specific types of chemical packages - get the dispenser and be locked into the chemical. Same for paper towels - dispensers are free, but only accept certain (proprietary) rolls of paper. It shouldn't be surprising that a pellet grill maker would try to get residual revenue by requiring the use of their pellets. In other industries the manufacturer must demonstrate the nature of the proprietary requirement to pass FTC muster. I would think it will be much more difficult in this situation to uphold a warranty exclusion based on the brand of pellet. Especially if it can be shown that the majority of pellets are essentially the same (other than blends of wood) in how they are dispensed and burned.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #