Author Topic: Very Interesing  (Read 1270 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Very Interesing
« Reply #-1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »

10 Limits to Human Perception ... and How They Shape Your World
Every human has limits. You can only run so fast, jump so high, and go for so long without water.… Read…
The human palate is arguably the weakest of the five traditional senses. This begs an important question regarding wine tasting: is it bullshit, or is it complete and utter bullshit?

There are no two ways about it: the bullshit is strong with wine. Wine tasting. Wine rating. Wine reviews. Wine descriptions. They're all related. And they're all egregious offenders, from a bullshit standpoint.

Exhibit A: Wine experts contradict themselves. Constantly.

Statistician and wine-lover Robert Hodgson recently analyzed a series of wine competitions in California, after "wondering how wines, such as his own, [could] win a gold medal at one competition, and 'end up in the pooper' at others." In one study, Hodgson presented blindfolded wine experts with the same wine three times in succession. Incredibly, the judges' ratings typically varied by ±4 points on a standard ratings scale running from 80 to 100. Via the Wall Street Journal:

A wine rated 91 on one tasting would often be rated an 87 or 95 on the next. Some of the judges did much worse, and only about one in 10 regularly rated the same wine within a range of ±2 points.

Mr. Hodgson also found that the judges whose ratings were most consistent in any given year landed in the middle of the pack in other years, suggesting that their consistent performance that year had simply been due to chance.
It bears repeating that the judges Hodgson surveyed were no ordinary taste-testers. These were judges at California State Fair wine competition – the oldest and most prestigious in North America. If you think you can consistently rate the "quality" of wine, it means two things:

1: No. You can't.

2. Wine-tasting is bullshit.

Exhibit B: Expert wine critics can't distinguish between red and white wines

This one's one of my favorites. In 2001, researcher Frédéric Brochet invited 54 wine experts to give their opinions on what were ostensibly two glasses of different wine: one red, and one white. In actuality, the two wines were identical, with one exception: the "red" wine had been dyed with food coloring.

The experts described the "red" wine in language typically reserved for characterizing reds. They called it "jammy," for example, and noted the flavors imparted by its "crushed red fruit." Not one of the 54 experts surveyed noticed that it was, in fact a white wine.

Exhibit C: We taste with our eyes, not our mouths

Actually, scratch that. We taste with our eyes, ears, noses, and even our sense of touch. We taste with our emotions, and our state of mind. This has been demonstrated time after time after time.

Research out of Cornell University's Food and Brand Lab has shown that people will rate food as more enjoyable if it's consumed in the relaxed atmosphere of a fine dining environment, as opposed to a noisy fast food restaurant.

A 2006 study, published by the American Association of Wine Economists, found that most people can't distinguish between paté and dog food.

A recent New Yorker piece describes a followup to Brochet's 2001 study, wherein he served wine experts a run-of-the-mill Bordeaux in two different bottles:

One bottle bore the label of a fancy grand cru, the other of an ordinary vin de table. Although they were being served the exact same wine, the experts gave the bottles nearly opposite descriptions. The grand cru was summarized as being “agreeable,” “woody,” “complex,” “balanced,” and “rounded,” while the most popular adjectives for the vin de table included “weak,” “short,” “light,” “flat,” and “faulty.”
Exhibit D: Wine critics know wine reviews are bullshit

Here's Joe Power, editor of the popular Another Wine Blog, in a post titled "Wine Reviews are Bullshit!":

Today, with apologies to messieurs Penn and Teller, I am going to stand up and shout, “Wine reviews are bullshit!”

If you are wondering if this is going to be some justification of why our reviews at AWB are just spiffy and everyone else is full of shit, you can stop wondering; ours are bullshit too. It is just the nature of the beast.

There is no hard science involved in reviewing wine, no real way to quantify results, no test cases, and certainly no verifiable set of standards that everyone adheres to. Everyone makes up their own processes for reviewing from Wine Spectator to us and all of the way down to the most recent person who just discovered how easy it is to set up a blog of their own.
When asked point blank what he thought of the aforementioned results from Robert Hodgson's study (see Exhibit A) wine-maker Bob Cabral said he was "not surprised":

In Mr. Cabral's view, wine ratings are influenced by uncontrolled factors such as the time of day, the number of hours since the taster last ate and the other wines in the lineup. He also says critics taste too many wines in too short a time. As a result, he says, "I would expect a taster's rating of the same wine to vary by at least three, four, five points from tasting to tasting."
See? Horseshit.

Exhibits E – ZZZ: Countless other studies

In 1996, research published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology concluded that wine experts cannot reliably identify more than three or four of a wine's flavor components. Most wine critics routinely report tasting six or more. The wine review excerpted in the top image for this post, for example (which is a real review, by the way – somebody actually wrote those words about a bottle of wine, in earnest) lists the following components in the wine's "principle flavor" profile: "red roses, lavender, geranium, dried hibiscus flowers, cranberry raisins, currant jelly, mango with skins [Ed. note: jesus wine-swilling christ – mango with skins?], red plums, cobbler, cinnamon, star anise, blackberry bramble, whole black peppercorn," and more than a dozen other flavors that I refuse to continue listing lest my head implode.

Fun fact: MIT behavioral economist Coco Krume recently conducted a meta-analysis of the classifiers used in wine reviews, and found that reviewers tend to use "cheap" and "expensive" words differently. Cheap descriptors are used much more frequently, expensive ones more sparingly. Krume even demonstrated that it's possible to guess the price range of a wine based on the words used in its review. "From a quantitative standpoint," Krume writes, "there are three types of words more likely to be used for expensive wines":

Darker words, such as intense, supple, velvety, and smoky
Single flavors such as tobacco or chocolate versus fruity, good, clean, tasty, juicy for cheap wines
Exclusive-sounding words in place of simple descriptors. For example, old, elegant, and cuvee rather than pleasing, refreshing, value,and enjoy
Additionally, cheap wine is preferentially paired with chicken and pizza, while pricey wine goes with shellfish and pork
Using her scientific metric, Krume goes on to create the most expensive-sounding wine review ever penned: "A velvety chocolate texture and enticingly layered, yet creamy, nose, this wine abounds with focused cassis and a silky ruby finish. Lush, elegant, and nuanced. Pair with pork and shellfish." If that sentence made you yearn for a glass of classy red, congratulations, there's a very real chance you're a pompous asshole.

The Exception

You want an exception to the wine-tasting is bullshit mantra? Here it is.

In 2008, a survey comprising more than 6,000 blind tastings found a positive correlation between price and enjoyment – for individuals with wine training. In other words: if you're a wine expert, there's a chance you'll enjoy expensive wines more than cheaper ones. HOWEVER, it bears emphatic mentioning that whether this suggests more expensive wines are objectively better (which it doesn't) is irrelevant, because among amateur wine drinkers (which, let's face it, you are), the survey found the opposite, i.e. a negative correlation between price and happiness, “suggesting that individuals on average enjoy more expensive wines slightly less.” This lead the researchers to conclude that "both the prices of wines and wine recommendations by experts may be poor guides for non-expert wine consumers."

The upshot: screw the experts. Drink what tastes good/whatever you can afford. Or just have a beer – it's unequivocally better, anyway.

Top image via Shutterstock
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Very Interesing
« on: May 10, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
I always think its bs when sommeliers start with their, hint of this and notes of that when they are describing or tasting a wine and all the other bologna that comes with it.
I WILL HAVE TO TRY THE OLE RED FOOD COLORING THING ON SOMEONE. :) 

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Barry CB Martin

Re: Very Interesing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »
some  know I spent the first part of my career as a maitre d and wine steward at some tuxedo wearing restaurants. During that time I probably tasted 4-to-5000 differentsbottles of wine. I concur with the information presented. There is good wine because you like it and there is bad wine because you don't. I like champagne.

After my restaurant ttour of duty I was involved with Miller Brewing Company advertising agencies for about 7 years and witnessed multiple blind tastings in focus groups between Miller and Budweiser. 9 times out of 10 hardcore bud drinkers chose Miller as their preferred beer.  50 percent of the time beer drinkers ywhohad no preference liked  the beer and didn't care. oh the other 50 percent liked there beer a little bit colder.

makes me think of the experiment some of us tried a couple years ago where we cooked meat without any the rubs and other potions we put on it and discovered that it tasted pretty good without all that stuff...that in fact we kinda forgotten what the base flavor of meat was because we got so used to all the stuff we added to it

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »
I knew my saving money by drinking Thunderbird and MD2020 is a good choice; however, no matter what the experts say, I think Wednesday vintages are the best of the week.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »
Heh...

This reminds me of the old quip Cajun cook Justin Wilson used to say, "You know what kind of wine goes good with this dish? The kind of wine you like, I Guarontee!"
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
I knew my saving money by drinking Thunderbird and MD2020 is a good choice; however, no matter what the experts say, I think Wednesday vintages are the best of the week.  Dee

Many years ago, MD had a pink grapefruit.  I think it was MD16 though.  ???  I think I drank a bottle of that stuff.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:40:26 PM »
Trader Joes carries some good wines for under $10.00
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 02:22:57 AM »
... Thunderbird and MD2020 is a good choice...  Wednesday vintages are the best

True for Thunderbird (as well as Annie Greensprings and Boone's Farm) but late Tuesday night is better for MD2020.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »
I don't understand, L A...what are trying to say about wines and wine critics?

Don't beat around the bush, man!
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »

The bottom line is we aren't as good as we think we are :o
Reminds me of those who say they can tell the difference in food cooked on different brands of charcoal !
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »
Any barbeque judge or competition cook totally understands this.  As to wine, after years of careful experimentation, I have determined that jug burgundy, the ten dollar stuff, goes best with barbeque.  I recomend Wednesday's vintage.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »

The bottom line is we aren't as good as we think we are :o
Reminds me of those who say they can tell the difference in food cooked on different brands of charcoal !

Now THAT I Can do...put your butt over Kingsford or Stubbs...big difference.  Stubbs is au naturale with no artificial binders.  In fact, I have a bag of each in my shack now.

Don't you believe me?!?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
82nd Airborne Aviator's Formal Dinner Wine for 1970. 

Always wonder how one would classify it?
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 03:29:44 AM »
82nd Airborne Aviator's Formal Dinner Wine for 1970. 

In 1970, members of 1st Brigade (especially 1/504) were mature enough to have choices - Boone's Farm, MD 20-20, Annie Greensprings, and (when you wanted to ensure the evening went your way) Mateus.  We also had smaller watches and made less money than you aviators, but had bigger cojones and far more fun.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »
My wife and I love wine. We were married north of napa in sonoma county. Rented a vineyard for it.
We've had expensive wine and cheap and neither of us have ever understood the bs involved with tasting.
We have friends that we are in competition with on finding the best $15 bottle or less! No one looses! !
Reds, heavy, dirty leather...big flavor!
Nutin better then Hard Wood!