Author Topic: I'll probably take some heat for this...  (Read 6022 times)

Offline Hub

Re: I'll probably take some heat for this...
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
I've said it before . . . and will repeat myself until I keel over dead . . . A good cook can turn out wonderful chow on a Zippo lighter in the wind on a rainy night.  We all love our toys and have our preferences, but the cooker is just a tool.  It only assists in the effort.  Cook on, friends . . . it is the effort that counts  ;D

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »
This is a great thread. The vids were fantastic
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
Jaxon - there are a number of web sites with advisories for mods that may be helpful at some point. A baffle that helps to evenly distribute heat/smoke from the fire box throughout the food chamber. A means to lower the intake on the exhaust chimney that ensure more heat and smoke in the chamber....but getting used to the way it works right now is the most important thang!  Way to go.

And to think - it all started with a TEC/Char-Broil grill.... 8)

Barry, the Old Country smokers already have these covered. There is a good size baffle inside the cooking chamber that spreads the heat/smoke as it comes from the smoke box .The exhaust is right down at grill level so it keeps more smoke down on the meat. These are both points I would use when trying to steer a customer toward an Old Country, plus the very heavy gauge steel. That Old Country Pecos that Jack bought is probably the best smoker for the money out there.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »

Barry, the Old Country smokers already have these covered. There is a good size baffle inside the cooking chamber that spreads the heat/smoke as it comes from the smoke box .The exhaust is right down at grill level so it keeps more smoke down on the meat. These are both points I would use when trying to steer a customer toward an Old Country, plus the very heavy gauge steel. That Old Country Pecos that Jack bought is probably the best smoker for the money out there.

Ken, you answered that one before I could...I am absolutely sold on this smoker like I am on my infrared grill.  The things you mentioned are good.  PLUS...the door to the firebox fits an inset and the HUGE steel dampers fit so well.  The lid is inset and heavy so that it seals shut.  Don't get me wrong - this smoker is not air-tight, but I didn't see smoker coming out around any seams or cracks.  The fire-box is oversized almost and holds plenty of wood for a sustained fire regardless of the temps.

Again...you guys hafta realize I am just a "backyard jack" when it comes to cookin'.  I'm still at the elementary level.  I'm in it for the fun and "sport"...the "Challenge", if you will.  Like golf, their are a lot of clubs to choose from, depending your lie, distance to the green, etc.  And even though you may play poorly today, the next round may be your BEST round.  And even with your best round, there is always the thought, "if I had used my 3 wood on no. 6, I could have hit the fairway."  Anyway, that's where I am and I am having so much fun.

I am lookin' forward to the summertime in the backyard.  If you're ever down this way, gimme a call and I'll try to cook something for you.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »
Your video of the finished ribs had me drooling...what a great cook!
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
Glad you are happy with your off-set.  Now get out back and fire it up and smoke something up for Old Smoke  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »
I guess I'll be in class this weekend for Memorial Day...
I am planning to smoke an 8 pound butt.  Yep, there will be videos (I hope to get some detailed shots of the smoker).  As usual, these are not going to be "how to" videos, more of a simple documentary of the cook.  I have found it to be a whole lot easier to use my Flip Video to document things and upload to YouTube than it is to try to edit pics and post 5 or 6.  At my age, easy is mo' better.

Now, let me call Old Hickory in here for some words about the wood.  Anybody else can jump in, too.  I have 16 inch split pecan logs to use.  Some is well-seasoned, the other may be a month old.  How should I use this mix of wood during this long cook?  I'm looking for the "kiss" of smoke flavor to add to the great taste of the pork.

You guys are really helping me a lot, and I appreciate it.
<><

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »
Just keep the smoke blue for the entire cook and you got it made.  If using charcoal for heat, smoke heavy the first hour or two then just go straight heat the rest of the way..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 12:33:17 PM »
Just keep the smoke blue for the entire cook and you got it made.  If using charcoal for heat, smoke heavy the first hour or two then just go straight heat the rest of the way..........

The exhaust on this smoker looks like one on a diesel rig...at least 5 inches in diameter...with a steel damper that slides across the opening for even micro adjustments.  So it has a very positive airflow.
When cooking, I closed the damper about halfway to see what would happen...the temp began to fall slowly but steadily.  I opened the damper and the temp came back up.  I did NOT try closing the top about halfway and opening the firebox dampers to catch that effect.  I'll try that this weekend, though. What effect do you think I'll see with that configuration?

Now, for heat source I am using only wood (the charcoal is just to get the fire started).  Will the newer wood give me the same blue smoke as the seasoned wood?
I noticed some of the newer wood "sweating profusely" from the end as it burned.  Is that a bad thing?  It didn't llok like sap coming out - more like water bubbling from the end...kinda like it was boiling inside the wood (no, I had NOT soaked the wood).

Dang, I hope this is making sense, cause I am looking for the best results I can get (duh...who isn't?).
<><

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
watcha wanna do when using splits is to heat up the splits of wood before adding them to the fire. Now, my off-set used to have the square fire box so I would just rest the splits on top of the fire box.

When I had a round fire box I would place the splits in the smoking chamber.

The reason why you get the splits warm is when they are warm and they hit the fire they will burst into flames and burn clean and will not smolder like a locomotive when they are "room" temperature.

Trust me on this one...of course if your fire-box is square and you do warm your wood on top of the fire-box, stick around the pit, I have had them start burning....... ???
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »
Pretty good idea!  I have a Square area on my firebox so I will be using this trick this weekend.  Makes good sense.
<><

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »
The greener the wood, the wetter and more smoke and sharp smoke taste.  Pecan is much softer in smoke and taste than oak or hickory ( IMHO ) .  If you are watching your cook and it isn't terribly long, you probably will be fine.  I have been cooking/smoking  meat for over 60 years. ( I am 80yrs + now and still learning and trying to improve )  The only time I over smoked was using my offset with a mix of fresh cut and year old red oak.  I mix now with lump natural charcoal and red oak or hickory sticks for cooks over 4hrs.  Smoke has a good idea to pre-heat your sticks.  I haven't tried that one, but it sounds interesting.  I sure enjoyed your video.  I haven't mastered how to post that ..... yet.  I am looking forward to your next cook.  Have fun. 
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »
Ken, I'm glad Academy sold Jack an offset that was already baffled because the last thing we need is for Jack to be baffled. ;)  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »
It's no time to pile on....heck I have the latest Yoder Pellet pooper and am looking forward to getting a Yoder Kingman on Competition Cart. Like you, I have a love of the fire and smoke! I mean plug and play is great...but I kinda miss the good ol' fashion fire management etc. So, as far as I am concerned...carry on young man!!!

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »
Congrats Jack!   I felt sorry for Deb, having to sit there and watch you eat and she had to film you  :D

Did she ever get a rib?   ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION