Author Topic: Why won't vets talk about their war experiences?  (Read 995 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Why won't vets talk about their war experiences?
« Reply #-1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:28:01 PM »
The other day I was checking out at the Kroger register (which by the way is a good place to check out when leaving a store) and they lady working the register saw my Purple Heart ball cap and said her Daddy served in Korea and has a Purple Heart.  During our conversation she told me that he never talked about the war and it was just a few years ago that she found out he had a Purple Heart and some other medals.  Then she said she just couldn't understand why he didn't want to talk about it and "let it all out".  I told her that most don't talk about it except maybe to others who were there.  Only they understand.

After I was walking to my truck two things dawned on me.  The first was the impression that we all who have been in combat have "it bottled up inside which needs to be let out".  To me that is hog wash. It's hog wash that has been created by the media and others who think that anyone who has been in combat is scarred psychologically and are just walking around with some type of fuse inside of us that is just going off any minute if we don't "talk to someone and let it out''.  Granted, combat changed us...some more than others both physically and mentally and for some it was for the  better in both categories.  I don't think there is anything in the majority of us who has something that we need to let out. Some of these whom you see "going off the deep end" were nuts to start with and some are doing it for attention and had never left the States or, in some cases, never in the military. Granted, it did damage some badly mentally.  Just as an aside, Sen Ted Kennedy had someone on his  staff (I think he was the senator's chief of staff), who claimed to have the Medal of Honor.  When the truth came out not only did he not have the MOH he had never been in the military.

Second.  In my opinion, the reason most of us don't tell "war stories" to those who have not been there is people won't understand the tone in which we talk about what happened.  You see, most of the time we do talk to each other there is a lot of humor involved in the telling. Such as, "You won't believe it but that d@mn VC sniper shot tracer rounds right between my legs!! After I jumped in the canal, which helped clean my britches,  we took his @ss out and we left him dangling from a rope where he was tied in the tree."  You see, there is sort of a "black humor" among those who have "been there".   Why do we laugh and joke about it even though it was dangerous and your fellow soldiers may have gotten wounded or even died?  I don't know.  But to me that's just the way it is and that, in MY opinion, is why veterans won't talk about their war experiences.

Dee
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:32:49 PM by deestafford »
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: Why won't vets talk about their war experiences?
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:40:53 PM »
Very well said. Thanks for expressing this.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
Dee...

Thank you for your service.

I was on AD with the AF in VN toward the end of the conflict flying CH-53 choppers. Coming off active duty I joined the Reserves flying C-130s and later serving as an operations officer with ARSS.

I rarely -- very rarely -- discuss my service. I was just doing a job!

I'm a life member of the VFW and have caught many "posers" claiming military service that just didn't sound right. One time a guy came in the post wearing a green Nomex flight jacket with senior pilot wings pinned on it (not the leather [now cloth] patch that's used on flight gear) and none of the correct insignia. I challenged him and he was so FOS!! He said he was an F-4 pilot... problem with that is the AF didn't fly F-4s!

I have a few awards and commendations but I don't wear the lapel pins.

Mike
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »

I'm a life member of the VFW and have caught many "posers" claiming military service that just didn't sound right. One time a guy came in the post wearing a green Nomex flight jacket with senior pilot wings pinned on it (not the leather [now cloth] patch that's used on flight gear) and none of the correct insignia. I challenged him and he was so FOS!! He said he was an F-4 pilot... problem with that is the AF didn't fly F-4s!

I have a few awards and commendations but I don't wear the lapel pins.

Mike

...and that is why most do not talk about it.  There is no need to explain to those who understand.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »
Yup
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:22:16 PM »
My dad was a veteran of WWII, the Korean conflict and two tours of 'Nam as an 'advisor'. He rarely discussed his experiences.....he only would say "you wouldn't understand." and left it at that.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »
The other day I was checking out at the Kroger register (which by the way is a good place to check out when leaving a store) and they lady working the register saw my Purple Heart ball cap and said her Daddy served in Korea and has a Purple Heart.  During our conversation she told me that he never talked about the war and it was just a few years ago that she found out he had a Purple Heart and some other medals.  Then she said she just couldn't understand why he didn't want to talk about it and "let it all out".  I told her that most don't talk about it except maybe to others who were there.  Only they understand.

After I was walking to my truck two things dawned on me.  The first was the impression that we all who have been in combat have "it bottled up inside which needs to be let out".  To me that is hog wash. It's hog wash that has been created by the media and others who think that anyone who has been in combat is scarred psychologically and are just walking around with some type of fuse inside of us that is just going off any minute if we don't "talk to someone and let it out''.  Granted, combat changed us...some more than others both physically and mentally and for some it was for the  better in both categories.  I don't think there is anything in the majority of us who has something that we need to let out. Some of these whom you see "going off the deep end" were nuts to start with and some are doing it for attention and had never left the States or, in some cases, never in the military. Granted, it did damage some badly mentally.  Just as an aside, Sen Ted Kennedy had someone on his  staff (I think he was the senator's chief of staff), who claimed to have the Medal of Honor.  When the truth came out not only did he not have the MOH he had never been in the military.

Second.  In my opinion, the reason most of us don't tell "war stories" to those who have not been there is people won't understand the tone in which we talk about what happened.  You see, most of the time we do talk to each other there is a lot of humor involved in the telling. Such as, "You won't believe it but that d@mn VC sniper shot tracer rounds right between my legs!! After I jumped in the canal, which helped clean my britches,  we took his @ss out and we left him dangling from a rope where he was tied in the tree."  You see, there is sort of a "black humor" among those who have "been there".   Why do we laugh and joke about it even though it was dangerous and your fellow soldiers may have gotten wounded or even died?  I don't know.  But to me that's just the way it is and that, in MY opinion, is why veterans won't talk about their war experiences.

Dee
Good post Dee, and Thank You for your service.
I am not a veteran (at age 55 now,  was too young for Viet Nam), but quite a few family members are, as well as many friends. It's hard to feel /understand some things if you haven't walked in their boots. It just seems from my experience with my family and friends, those who have seen the most, speak the least of their past. I just respect that and well, with some you can see the stories in their eyes. I am both proud and honored to have these folks in my life.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »
Now Turtle, if I had told that side of the war experiences T would have had to take away my "moderator" tag as he says this here thing is read by wives and children ( I seriously doubt the latter given the current education system) and then the whole thing would have been shut down because of the the yankee government's diversity requirement of some ignorance on the part of at least one moderator.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

Why won't vets talk about their war experiences?
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »
Thank you Dee. It just dawned on me that I never really had anybody in my life who served in combat. Dad was in the navy, but was out out before Vietnam. 

I guess my love and respect for he military comes from love of country.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »
As a wise man once said, the only difference between a fairy tale and a war story is that a fairy tale begins with "Once upon a time..." while a war story starts with "And this is no $hit..."
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »
Thanks, Dee.

I have two uncles who immigrated (legally and privately paid like all of my family) before WWII.  They joined the military when the US entered the war.  One went down on the USS Jarvis.  The other was shot down in a B17 over Germany and was a POW for two years.

After a couple of months at home he sat all the family members down and said something like, "You have been asking me about the time in the POW camp.  Tonight I'll tell you everything and answer your questions.  Then we'll never talk about it again."

He did and the family honored his request.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 08:03:58 PM »
Dee,
Wonderful post!  I spent my time in the U.S. Navy in or around fast attack nuclear submarines during the Cold War.  An interesting time of my life that I will never forget.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »
I rarely -- very rarely -- discuss my service. I was just doing a job!

I'm a life member of the VFW and have caught many "posers" claiming military service that just didn't sound right.  I have a few awards and commendations but I don't wear the lapel pins.

X2 ... 2 tours in Nam ... Enough said ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
Only did one and glad I got out with most of me intact!
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 10:41:31 PM »
Any non vets that's interested a good book is "boys of 67"  about Charlie company in VN. I have met some of these men in the book and been able to talk about their service. The only thing they told me the book could not get across is the smell in the Mekong Delta where they served. Gave me a better idea of what it takes to be a American Soldier.