Author Topic: Why won't vets talk about their war experiences?  (Read 994 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Why won't vets talk about their war experiences?
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 10:47:08 PM »
It is a private experience that is difficult to translate into a public dialogue. Most do not feel comfortable talking about it - not because it is something to be ashamed of...but because the experience is so foreign and bizarre to most - that it is not something that makes for good "dinner conversation".
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »
Dee, my Dad never talked about his time in the military until he waw getting into the mid stages of dementia. He was on the battleship USS Nevada and while he never was on the ground fighting they saw their share of combat during every major battle in the South Pacific in WWII. He talked about the suicide planes that attacked them and killed all his friends in the gun turret next to him and being awake for 2 weeks at a time while they bombarded the islands of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.  He was a gunners mate and his job was to dial in the coordinates that the forward spotters called in to make the large 14 inch guns hit their target. He basically aimed the guns and gave the command to fire. He was worried that he was personally responsible for killing thousands of Japanese and that he might not be able to go to heaven to be with my Mom. Luckily through a friend I was able to find a preacher who was a Marine on the ground in the same battles who was able to talk to him and give him some peace of mind.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline IBCookin

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 11:31:37 PM »
teesquare, I think you are absolutely correct (at least for me). It's not something that makes for general conversation. What may have happened and how it may have happened is generally beyond the knowledge base of anyone that hasn't been in that situation. This makes it very difficult to carry on a two-way conversation.
Everyone is good at something....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Cooker