Author Topic: am I becoming a BBQ snob  (Read 2982 times)

Offline fishingbouchman

am I becoming a BBQ snob
« Reply #-1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:35:08 AM »
At work and didn't have time to make dinner before I left the house.  Figured I would just eat there as they usually have good prices and ok food.  Had BBQ as the special.  OK can't be that bad.  probably not real BBQ but more crock pot pork...  oh man worst 4.50 ever spent.  boiled ribs?  mushy with no flavor pork  >:( 
Is it  because I am becoming a snob since you all made me step up my game and I am getting a taste for real bbq or was it really that bad. 

Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: am I becoming a BBQ snob
« on: June 08, 2013, 12:43:32 AM »
No not a snob. Your just realizing what real BBQ should taste like. When I go out to eat BBQ I don't expect it to be as good as mine. It is difficult for a restaurant to produce quality BBQ on a large scale. Now I did not say impossible just difficult. But I do expect it to be good. And you expecting the same is not being a snob IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
I agree with muebe. But that does look like a really nice PIC of food.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:24:46 AM »
Hopefully the sausage was good at least, how can you mess up sausage unless it was bad sausage when it was made.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »
My wife owns a lingirie shop and sometimes people will ask her where is a good place to eat and she tells them she doesn't go out to eat because her husband cooks the best meals she can eat. 
My son in law is an executive chef and one time  I asked him about being disappointed in eating when he went out to eat.  He said, "It is what it is."
I have heard many good cooks respond to questions of why their food is so good and their response has always been, "Love".  And I think that is what makes us here cook so well...we put our love of cooking into what we do.  I enjoy the cooking much more than I do the eating.  I like to watch the response of the people eating my food.  That's where my satisfaction comes from.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 10:43:36 AM »
Usually don't eat out myself.  For the price, we can make a much better meal at home.  Sometime we like to play what would this meal cause us for a plate had we gone out and we made it for how much. 

Sausage was ok and the only thing I ate.  Picked at the rest but most of it found the recycle bin. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 10:58:46 AM »
Why pay for sub-par BBQ when it is so much fun and better to make your own.....if that is snobby, then I am one of the biggest snobs around.

We only go out to eat breakfast a couple of times a year to visit two  local old school diners that are left in the valley.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

am I becoming a BBQ snob
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 11:03:03 AM »
It is all about the love
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:13:53 AM »
I agree.  your a huge bbq snob.  and you should be because you can cook better bbq than what most places serve ppl.  i'm glad your a bbq snob.  we all should be.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
am I becoming a BBQ snob
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 12:57:04 AM »
Hopefully the sausage was good at least, how can you mess up sausage unless it was bad sausage when it was made.
Trust me when I say that perfectly good sausage can be ruined. My in-laws can fat-out sausage with the best of them. I think they like to see the sausage squirting out all the juices to make the flames bigger ;D  I've also had leather chicken legs and dry as hay beef ribs ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:02:43 AM »
We rarely go out to eat.. my bride keeps telling me "I get better food at home." I tried explaining that going out means I don't have to cook but she won't have any of that...

I'm an executive chef and cook for a living... sometimes it's just nice not to cook even if the food isn't that great.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »
Good Morning Group...my name is Dan and I'm a BBQ Snob! I really don't eat at BBQ places much any more. Muebe has it right. BBQ joints just take the time to put in real love. Don't get me wrong, I have eaten some really good BBQ, but it depends on which pitmaster you get that day. Famous Dave's is usually good. County Line was good till they closed. JT's in Joplin, Mo; if it's still open was always good.
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
THIS:

I have heard many good cooks respond to questions of why their food is so good and their response has always been, "Love".  And I think that is what makes us here cook so well...we put our love of cooking into what we do.  I enjoy the cooking much more than I do the eating.  I like to watch the response of the people eating my food.  That's where my satisfaction comes from.  Dee

Is at the heart of understanding why we enjoy cooking. The fact that we mostly enjoy doing outdoors is a bonus. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
I have been involved in a couple of outdoor cooking forums for over 4 years - it's like going to school for me.
During that time, and particularly during the past year, my focus has turned toward bbq - low and slow.  I think the reason for that is this:  there are so many variables / options for each lesson.  There are flavor options with rubs, marinades, wood selection, etc.  There are temp options and smoke options.  There are choices about which cooker to use.  It is never boring and seldom predictable for me.  I realize most of y'all know how you're food will turn out even before you begin, but it is always a challenge for me, especially as I continue to try different techniques that y'all present herein.

We have some bbq restaurants in our area.  Some are bbq "joints", and it seems they have the better que.  Could be because bbq is their LIFE - they learned it early on and put all they have into it - including the LOVE factor.

Every now and then, I get a hankerin' to try some que at a place I haven't tried before...but usually, Deb likes the food she gets at "backyard jack's".  I think she can taste the love...and you know, it does my heart good when she starts braggin' on it (whether its good or just so-so.)

Am I a bbq snob?  Probably not...I just know what tastes good to ME.  And to think - a couple of years ago I didn't KNOW the difference.
Thanks Y'all,
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:30:57 AM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 11:40:08 AM »
When I brought my wife home from the hospital yesterday and went to get all her prescriptions filled she said she wanted some Brunswick Stew for lunch. I stopped by one of our local BBQ places and picked her up some stew and a BBQ sandwick for myself. This place just finished second as the best BBQ restaurant in the state of Alabama. It was a March Madness style competition that started with 64 restaurants competing head to head in 4 regions, getting down to one in each region then two head to head.

Anyway, her Brunswick stew was all meat, couldn't even squeeze any moisture out of it. She ate a bit and I will add some liquid and some more goodies and heat it up for leftovers. My sandwich was also very dry and had probably a pound of meat on it. I should have split into two sandwiches and added much more BBQ sauce to it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware