Author Topic: Crazy genius or just crazy?  (Read 3636 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Crazy genius or just crazy?
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 08:13:54 AM »
Most of the great solutions out there come from "crazy genius" ideas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 09:38:35 AM »
I gota get me one of those reusable cubs.  Then use this amazing new invention.  Do I call it the Tendadry!
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »
This seems like an appropriate place to post this.  Several weeks ago my Keurig K-cup machine quit working.  I had been descaling it every time the light went on.  Finally, no water would come out.  Time to buy a new one.  Well, we went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and found the latest model similar to mine and bought it, with their 20% off coupon, of course.  The person checking me out said, "You'll love this machine".  My wife replied, we are replacing our old one that just quit working.  He said, if you bought it here and it is five years or less, I will give you your original money back.  My wife, bless her heart, had saved the receipt from B3 and it was less than 5 years old.  I went back in the next day and found the man who had checked us out and showed him the machine and the receipt.  He gave me my original money back.  It turned out to be a really good deal.  I got more money back than I originally paid, and the newer one had more features.

Keep those receipts from B3.  You never know when or if you may need them.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
Art that is good to know. Did they take your old unit back?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
So am I a crazy genius or just crazy? ::)

Is there a difference between 'crazy genius' or 'just crazy'?  Not really sure but you need to patent something Mike, make a fortune so you can spend your time inventing things and tweaking other things ...  :D ;)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
Mike,
Yes, I took the old unit back.  I don't know what they did with it, but it was out of my hands.  My wife wanted to know if they didn't want it back, was I going to scavenge parts?  I think I speak for most guys.  The answer is a resounding "YES"!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Crazy genius or just crazy?
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 01:47:09 PM »

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
Mike,
Yes, I took the old unit back.  I don't know what they did with it, but it was out of my hands.  My wife wanted to know if they didn't want it back, was I going to scavenge parts?  I think I speak for most guys.  The answer is a resounding "YES"!

Art

Well more than likely it was just a defective water pump. They use very cheap air pumps, water pumps and solenoids. I keep all three on hand.

The solenoid will stick that let's the water come out. So you have to smack the unit to get it to start releasing the water to brew. The problem is that when the unit is on and not releasing water the solenoid is activated. So the solenoid is on more than it is off. This wears out the solenoid quicker IMHO. Also there is a second solenoid that activates and lets the water out the tube that goes into the water reservoir when there is a restriction. This one does not stop working because it is only activated if there is a restriction but they do start leaking water. and so does the other solenoid.

When the unit takes a long time to pull in water or no water at all when brewing this is the water pump. The pump head fails and spins freely on the shaft causing no water to be drawn in.

When it draws water in but you get very little water pressure coming out for brewing and the needle is not plugged then the air pump might not be working.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
Cool idea.. I just go to Starbucks for my coffee though... :P :P :P
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:50 AM »

That's brilliant!

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 07:12:38 PM »
Well more than likely it was just a defective water pump. They use very cheap air pumps, water pumps and solenoids. I keep all three on hand.

Where's a good place to buy spares? Mines coming up on 5 years with no problems. Does the Keurig Breville have the same parts as the rest?
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 09:03:45 PM »

Where's a good place to buy spares? Mines coming up on 5 years with no problems. Does the Keurig Breville have the same parts as the rest?

SS I also have the Breville unit. If you have gone 5 years with no problems then your doing really good! And yes the solenoids and pumps are the same or similar enough to work from the other Keurig units.

Here is a link to the solenoid valve. The Keurig uses two...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SOL-132/SOLENOID-VALVE/1.html

Here is the air pump. The Keurig only uses one...

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/12vdcdiaphragmairpump.aspx

And the water pump. The Keurig only uses one...

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/12vdcminiwaterpump.aspx

This website has the solenoid valve also but it costs a dollar more per solenoid then the other link at the top...

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/12vdcpneumaticsolenoidvalve.aspx

Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
Very good info, Muebe. You have done your homework! My Keurig is at work now getting some heavy use. I will stock the spares you recommend. Thanks!
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's