Author Topic: How did you get your user name?  (Read 9460 times)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: How did you get your user name?
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »
Gus is short for "August" which is my middle name.

same for me except its my 1st name.   you Portuguese like me too?  8)
Nope - Polish, French, and an vast assortment of others ( a mutt, not a purebred ;D)
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »
My user name is pretty generic ... 1st forum was 'Bradley Smoker'.  Since I was smokin' meat and my name is Peter I chose 'smoker pete'.  Have used the same name with all the forums I've visited over the years ...  8)

Used to be ...      before I became ...   

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »
Always liked the picture of me smoking the Huka so when I joined the Bradley Smoker Forum  thought it fit...added the Mo for Missouri...
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 04:18:12 PM »
My passion was sailing sail boats.  Started sailing when I was 23 years old.  Did some racing but mostly cruising but anytime another sail boat came along it turned into a race.  Difference between a racer and a cruiser is the cruiser don't spill his beer  ;D.  Sold my boat when I moved to Florida and was going to buy another one but I quickly found out that the boats were cheaper in cost here but the storage and fees were way more than I could afford so that was the end of my owning a cruising boat.  Joined a sailing club for a while but it was not the same as owning.  As I got older I got into the radio controlled sail boats and did a lot of racing with them around the country.  Now my time is taken up with smoking meats and making sausage and working.  Long winded story to answer the question how did you get your handle.  Sailboats still hold a special place in my heart just don't have the time to work on them and clean them and having friends go sailing and drink all my beer.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline EFGM

• Carrollton, Texas
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »
No real special story here. Just used my initials on another forum and wanted something different with the change.
Had some guys over from work for a cookout and water volleyball game and someone called me the Grill Master.
(That's what happens when you feed  them Baby Backs, Sausage, pulled pork, "E" Beans, and Pig Candy)
Not being comfortable claiming that title I did settle for EFGM, Etheridge Family Grill Master, which I am comfortable with. Not that there aren't some good cooks in my Family. I'm just the best backyard cook in the "E" Clan.

Doug
PG1000
 ST1400
(DE)

Offline Patio Cook#1

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
I found this forum after being on another forum for quite a while. For whatever reason when I tried to sign on to this one it wouldn't accept the info I was using on the other forum. Had to try something else
I had the same issue as IBCookin. Couldn't get on with the original name I was using on other forums. Thought I was banned before I got started. So, since I do a lot of cookin on the patio, I thought I'd use the name "PatioCook and "stay under the radar".
So far, so good.

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 03:55:58 AM »
Before I started posting in BBQ message boards I was looking for a handle with some reference to cooking. As I like chicken wings I thought Wing Commander (like the computer game - that I actually never have played in my life) would be a nice choice. Today I'd choose some other handle, but I use Wing Commander in several message boards and it's also my blog's name, so won't change it.

Offline Hub

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 07:09:54 AM »
Some interesting stories here . . . and answers to some names I've wondered about.

Mine is quite simple.  First three letters of my last name (I'm Gordon Hubbell in the funny papers).

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
The holidays are over for awhile, kids back in school, and some off to college.

Since I posted this we have a lot of new members and since I am not very good at welcoming you when you join; I welcome you now! The more the merrier! If you have an interesting story of how you got your user name let us hear it. If some of you older members missed this pop in now and tell your story!

I have read all now and there are some good stories here! Smokin Don

Maybe if there is some good responses I will tell the story of my nickname at work? I have been retired since 2003 after 30 yrs, at FordMoCo.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Buffalo Wings and I always consume my share.  On pellet grill forums I am Maineac.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
tee square:
A guide used in mechanical and architectural drawing; consists of two arms joined together at right angles, like the letter T; the shorter arm slides along the edge of the drawing table or drawing board, which serves as a guide; the longer arm is used to draw parallel lines or to support triangles for drawing lines at different angles.

There is a lot of psycho-babble I could go into ...but....nah......
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 01:48:53 PM »
I think that no explanation needed .
but any way  here it go's

i live   

i love 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:50:39 PM by africanmeat »
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »
I cant remember.

It's all a blurr

Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
How do you follow that?   lol

I have always been outdoorsy. Once I discovered backpacking, I was gone, a lot. I joined a few backpacking forums but "backpacker" of course was never available, unless I was willing to use "backpacker5634239753". I can't remember numbers if my life depended on it. So, that was out, tried hiker, same problem. But after returning from a long trip, my then girlfriend stated, "hikerman you are finally home". A bell went off, it was available, and now it's history, old history at that.

But I never once woke up in a weenie costume.....that I can remember!  Honest...  Well, I'm pretty sure.

Offline Pit Boss Mike Hedrick

• No Picture = No Cook
    • My Website
How did you get your user name?
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 07:14:18 PM »
I was given my Title Pit Boss by NASCARs Jeff Hammond and his Pit Crew BBQ group. The National Tailgating League and now Bristol Motor Speedway refer to me as Pit Boss Mike Hedrick.

Too many people claim to be Masters or Pitmaster yet very few are really masters of all parts of Pit work.

I may not be the master but I am my PITs BOSS
That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
I'm not a celebrity Pit Boss but I play one in NASCAR.
Best BBQ in Northern Virginia 2013 & 2014