Author Topic: I got a box today.......and yes I got busted  (Read 2517 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: I got a box today.......and yes I got busted
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 11:55:50 PM »
I know the feeling, Pappy. It DOES look like a great buy - you have more guts than I!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 12:05:44 AM »
AWESOME! Great score Pappymn. Keep us posted on your new hobby. I'd love to grind my own burger & sausage, but the garage is too hot in the Summer and too cold in the Winter (the wife says it aint comin' into her house.  :-X   
I think you are headed down a fun and flavorful journey Pappy.  :-*
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:07:27 AM by BigDon »
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 12:07:03 AM »
Thanks guys. On the bright side I do get to sleep in my own bed tonight, on the down side she has a very long memory.......

Thanks Pappy, I am laughing way to hard.

I can't wait to see what you make with it. I already put one in my wish list ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:16:54 AM »
Funny thing...I was gonna buy a chuck roast at $3.99 a lb so I could grind it up for Deb's delicious burgers.  Got stopped when see saw the price of ground chuck was $3.29 a lb.

I also was on the verge of doing this and had looked at the LEM, which is a real quality unit. I thought that I would make sausage and ground beef since we use 10 lbs a month. When I looked at the cost of Ground Chuck and other cuts of beef, I found that my regular purchases at Sam's Club for 90 per cent lean was a lot cheaper at $3.18 per lb for the 10 lb. tubes of beef. My sausage ideas come from the scraps and trimming I make when preparing meats for the smokers like ribs. At that point, I could not cost justify the time and the energy, the energy especially that I do not have, to do this work as well as the expense. I would have to do a lot meat grinding and sausage making to make this worthwhile. If there were another place where beef could be purchased in bulk around here for $2.00 per pound, then I would jump on it.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 01:49:04 AM »
Better get busy grinding up meat Pappy! I like some just buy my ground beef but lucky enough to have my butcher 3 minutes away and he always has fresh ground beef 80-20 and fresh ground sausage. Leaner beef he has frozen in pound chubs. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Sam3

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 05:46:58 AM »
Nice score Pappy! LEM makes a good product.
I have the #22 and use it often.

Keep your eye out for the vertical stuffer. Ya can't have one with out the other.  ;D
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »
Congrats on that new grinder!  It should last you a lifetime.  While it is true that normally you can get ground beef cheaper at Sams, Costco and other places you got to remember that beef is not the only thing you will be grinding.  If you plan on making pork sausage either in patties or stuffing you will be using the heck out of that grinder.  Not to mention chicken and turkey sausage.  If you do venture to the sausage side and start making summer sausage you will need that grinder.  My cheap #12 from Northern tools has ground up hundreds and hundreds of pounds of pork, deer, chicken and turkey and I don't think I have ever ground up any beef cause I can buy the GB cheaper in the tube.

Just remember that if you do get on the sausage band wagon.....a grinder is for grinding and a stuffer is for stuffing.......just sayin  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 08:47:28 AM »
SWEET SCORE!!!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
Congrats on that new grinder!  It should last you a lifetime.  While it is true that normally you can get ground beef cheaper at Sams, Costco and other places you got to remember that beef is not the only thing you will be grinding.  If you plan on making pork sausage either in patties or stuffing you will be using the heck out of that grinder.  Not to mention chicken and turkey sausage.  If you do venture to the sausage side and start making summer sausage you will need that grinder.  My cheap #12 from Northern tools has ground up hundreds and hundreds of pounds of pork, deer, chicken and turkey and I don't think I have ever ground up any beef cause I can buy the GB cheaper in the tube.

Just remember that if you do get on the sausage band wagon.....a grinder is for grinding and a stuffer is for stuffing.......just sayin  ;D

They call it a grinder for a reason!!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »
That's a great price on that grinder. You are going to love it!

Quote from: Jaxon
Funny thing...I was gonna buy a chuck roast at $3.99 a lb so I could grind it up for Deb's delicious burgers.  Got stopped when see saw the price of ground chuck was $3.29 a lb.

Same thing here. I rarely grind my own beef because I can usually get it already ground from my butcher for less, and it's fresh. Go figure!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 11:52:41 AM »
Nice score.  First rule... HAVE IT SHIPPED SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN YOUR HOUSE!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 05:13:47 PM »
Ok Pappy here's the deal. I will ship to your house, you ship to mine and we will just have stupid looks on our faces when it shows up. ???. Being that it will be cross boarder it will be even harder for our wife's to trace our handy work.

Never paid for it Honey of course we don't have to return it ;)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »
Ok Pappy here's the deal. I will ship to your house, you ship to mine and we will just have stupid looks on our faces when it shows up. ???. Being that it will be cross boarder it will be even harder for our wife's to trace our handy work.

Never paid for it Honey of course we don't have to return it ;)

I like that one! When Pappy doesn't "need" to buy something, I'll be happy to step in!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #