Author Topic: Too Much Smoke  (Read 893 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Too Much Smoke
« Reply #-1 on: August 04, 2013, 11:01:10 PM »
"Who at LTBBQ was supposed to remind me to not use too much flavor wood in my charcoal?

I thought Smoochy had my back 

Everything about the turkey was great......moist......tender......just a little too much smoke for me and the wife.

I used ONE piece of cherry that was 2 inches by 5 inches......still too much.

No more wood in my charcoal!"

Too little smoke flavor is still very good, too much not so much :o
Why I gave my Lectric smoker away!
With any new cooker I start with a little wood & work up.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Too Much Smoke
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:07:11 AM »
Was not me!  But I am surprised that little amount of wood caused that much smoke flavor
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »
While my wife would agree with the too much smoke, I don't think there is such a thing.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:11:34 AM »
With turkey and chicken it doesn't take much some days -- they absorb smoke like sponges when the conditions are right.  Better luck next time. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
"Who at LTBBQ was supposed to remind me to not use too much flavor wood in my charcoal?

I thought Smoochy had my back 

Everything about the turkey was great......moist......tender......just a little too much smoke for me and the wife.

I used ONE piece of cherry that was 2 inches by 5 inches......still too much.

No more wood in my charcoal!"

Too little smoke flavor is still very good, too much not so much :o
Why I gave my Lectric smoker away!
With any new cooker I start with a little wood & work up.

this should be a sticky thing.  it sums up my entire bbq life.  everyone wants great smoke flavor.  but to much smoke on food is real icky.  I use to think throw 4 pieces of wood on the WSM and let her rip.  stupid.  I now only put 1 or 2 pieces of wood on and weight them.  not all pieces of wood are the same.  some of the same size in the same species are way heavier.  and only light smoking wood.  pecan, apple, cherry.  to me these woods offer a lighter smoke for me.  great thread LA.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »
It's so easy to add or subtract bisquettes. 

Advantage Bradley.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
Towards the end of my charcoal/stick burning days, I mostly used peach, apricot and apple wood.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »
I feel your pain, LA!

Deb is not shy and will let me know right away if there is too much smoke - IH(her)HO.  But she's GREAT, too, because she will REALLY let me know when the food it cooked right (more frequently now).

With the offset, I find that I can adjust the amount of smoke by wrapping the meat when I think it is smoked enough.  I'll put the butt it a foil pan and cover it to keep it out of the smoke...ribs- I just wrap in foil like I'm supposed to.  Since wood is the only fuel in that smoker, I don't know of another way to keep from smokin' as it cooks.  Howsomever, I am open to suggestions.

In the MES, I seem to over-smoke everything, so I am going to start from almost no chips and build up from there until I find the right amount for us and our tastes.

The Cajun Injector Barrel Smoker we have is a dream to cook on - especially when it comes to chicken.  It is called "the world's best chicken cooker", and after the chicken we cooked Friday, Deb has declared that to be the absolute truth.  I can easily adjust the smoke flavor therein by the amount of chunks I put on the charcoal.  We have found that cherry wood for chicken makes Deb cheery.

<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »
Not to leave others out.....but I am going to send you a PM to talk about some possible solutions.

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
Boy, until  I learned my lesson about over smoking I put out some food that tasted like creosote crossties....only the ties were a little tougher.  Got to kiss and caress with thin blue smoke (TBS) rather than assaulting the meat as Bama will do to a Texas A&M QB if he ain't suspended for getting paid for writing his name...which is something no Auburn player could ever be accused of.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 10:34:24 PM »
wife does not care for the smoke that much.  a fine line but better for me to error on the less side.  Now I did do some chicken and some beef with mesquite and that is strong but turned out great.  But was not overly smoked. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"