Author Topic: CFS for lunch  (Read 1577 times)

Offline CaptJack

CFS for lunch
« Reply #-1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:41:08 AM by CaptJack »
King of the OldSmokey

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: CFS for lunch
« on: August 06, 2013, 01:46:07 PM »
Coincidentally, I am having CFS for lunch today as well (at a place called Norma's in Frisco, TX).  My wife and kids are going to be at the mall that the restaurant is in front of, so I am going to go grab lunch with them and return to work (can't remember the last time I have done that).  Why CFS you might ask.... when this restaurant had their grand opening a few months ago (the original is just outside of downtown Dallas and has been there for many years), they had a free CFS for a year deal for the first few customers of the 1st day when they openened at 6:00.  It was on my way to work, so I figured I would stop and see if I was early enough at 5:45.  I was, so now I have a free CFS a week punch card (comes with three sides).  Great once a week lunch during my workday.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

CFS for lunch
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »
No idea what CFS is. But I would like a plate and then a nap ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
Looks like Chicken Fried Steak. And as good as that sounds - that tater looks killer! With some nice cool watermelon to finish it off - great lunch! And then a nap.  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:12:31 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Sam3

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »
First time I had CFS was last year while on my Antelope hunt in Wyoming. I can't believe I went 47 years without ever trying it before! Off the charts!!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 03:11:06 PM »
If that was for my benefit Jack...you win...I miss the CFS about as much as Texas BBQ.... :D Man- that looks good!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »
I'm going to prevail upon Tim to henceforth make it against policy of this forum to post pictures of chicken fried steaks.  No restaurant east of the big river has one that is worth writing home about at the currently inflated cost of postage.  A few try, all fail.  For primo, killer, wonderful, slap-yo-mamma, succulent, delightful, delicious, savory, perfect CFS one must be west of the big river and, preferably in the state of Oklahoma or Baja Oklahoma.  The establishment selling the steak will not be part of any chain and can most often be located by simply asking the locals who has the best CFS in the area ("area" west of the river means within a hundred miles or so, usually). 

It is ABSOLUTE TORTURE for me and other native southwesterners now residing EAST of the big river to have to look at a big ol' juicy CFS all the while knowing we have no access to it.  We also have a problem with obtaining MEXICAN FOOD  that has not been dumbed down for the spice-averse "eastern" palate.  Henceforth, I hope that those forum members living WEST of the big river will take pity on the deprivation suffered by me and my similarly situated brethren who periodically dream of a CFS or some real MEXICAN FOOD but cannot reasonably settle our yearnings.  Have a heart, please  ;)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

gfgraphics

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
Not true Hub. Come a hundred miles west to Haywood County and you can get some of the best CFS I've ever eaten (and I've lived in just about every part of this country of ours) AND you can get real Mexican, not Tex-Mex.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
I have not had the pleasures of a REAL CFS that George is talking about - but now I am going to hold him to going to lunch there...SOON.... :D

Otherwise - I concur with Hub - it just ain't right to tease us that are trapped in the East with visions of loveliness like that plate you show Jack....you ought to be ashamed ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
Not true Hub. Come a hundred miles west to Haywood County and you can get some of the best CFS I've ever eaten (and I've lived in just about every part of this country of ours) AND you can get real Mexican, not Tex-Mex.

George, I am a man of honor, conscience, and even some patience, so I will eagerly await T's review of your claim and hope against all hope that you speak with verity.  I will also clarify that "Tex-Mex" IS real Mexican and all other "mexican food" is the result of some Californian's "lite" imagination and lack of proper ingredients, much as "vegetarian" is Apache for "can't hunt"  ;)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 05:25:02 PM »
I'm sorry, Hub, I love your posts and especially your articles, but I just can't support you on this. Us folks up here in Minnesota have to look at fantastic pictures of BBQ from the best places on earth... We don't cry foul (or fowl) - we suck it up and make plans for the back yard or our next vacation...  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:27:53 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
now THAT is a Chicken Fried Steak

There's a steak in that picture?  Guess I better look again.

Ahh, THERE it is (got it on the fourth try).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline rexster314

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »
All great looking steaks, but always order it with gravy on the side. That way the crust doesn't get soggy half way through and stays reasonable crunchy till the end. Just dip the bites in the gravy and you're on your way
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline RickB

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »
now THAT is a Chicken Fried Steak

Thats not CFS...thats fun for the whole family! :D ;)

Offline Pappymn

CFS for lunch
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 07:42:57 PM »
I'm sorry, Hub, I love your posts and especially your articles, but I just can't support you on this. Us folks up here in Minnesota have to look at fantastic pictures of BBQ from the best places on earth... We don't cry foul (or fowl) - we suck it up and make plans for the back yard or our next vacation...  ;) ;D

Amen brother! We have nothing here.....nothing!

But we suck it up and advance the ball down the field. Head held high.....
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109