Author Topic: brine a basted turkey ???  (Read 355 times)

Offline IBCookin

brine a basted turkey ???
« Reply #-1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:46:42 PM »
I've done a couple of whole turkeys on the pellet grill but they were basically fresh ready to cook.

Got a good deal on a frozen bird the other day. It is now thawed and I put together a brine but remembered something about not brining a bird that was basted. Read the package and sure enough this bird is basted. Baste apparently consists of turkey juices, salt and a few odds and ends, that I can't pronounce or spell.

I still put it in my favorite brine for cooking tomorrow but I reduced the salt to a little less than half of what I was using. Does this sound reasonable or should I not have brined at all??

Brine basically has water, brown sugar, honey, apple juice, and little less than 1/4 cup of salt for about 1 1/2 gal of liquid (water and apple juice).

Everyone is good at something....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Cooker

Offline Pappymn

brine a basted turkey ???
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:54:20 PM »
I think you are just fine. You did it right. That is a big piece of protein. 24 hours should be fine.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: brine a basted turkey ???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »
+1 with Pappy.

A brine really holds the moisture in the chicken or turkey. I have been using a brand called Mad Hunky brine for chicken which is really good. Remember after using that brine to get the heat up to 350 or 375 for the last 1 to 2 hours to crisp up that skin or like I did once, I had great chicken meat but skin like rubber. Also keep in mind that you should think about a cooking temperature that should try to get the bird up to 130 to 140 degrees internal temperature to kill any bacteria as quickly as possible.

I usually cook whole chickens at 250 degrees and it usually takes me 5 to 5 1/2 hours. Just thinking out loud on this.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
Brining works better than buying an enhanced bird, that being said I always am given an enhanced bird for thanksgiving.
It's the salt in the brining solution that drives the brining process too little salt no brining effect.
I brine in my normal mix & cut back on the salt in my rub & injection.
I brine for moistness & inject for flavor.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »
Grabbed from the Bogasphere...

A technique used to increase flavor, juiciness and weight in a turkey, poultry and other meats. Also known as enhanced meets, basted turkeys are injected or vacuum treated with water and chemical solutions of approved food additives into the meat. The weight of basted turkeys is usually increased by approximately 15% or more.

So that bird being injected or put under a solution vacuum might not take on too much more of your brining IMHO. When I think basted I think something applied to the outside of the bird not injected ::)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven