Author Topic: Veteran's RollCall  (Read 4397 times)

Offline dawrecknq

Re: Veteran's RollCall
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
Gentlemen... I am not a veteran and have never served....but I stand here (ok sit here) and awe and reverance to you all!! I humbly thank you for your service; for the sacrifices you all made to keep my Family safe and this country the greatest. You are all 10' tall and bullet proof in my eyes! There are no greater Americans than those who have worn the UNIFORM any uniform.

God Speed and my God always shine his love and grace upon you and yours!!!!

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline Pappymn

Veteran's RollCall
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
Gentlemen... I am not a veteran and have never served....but I stand here (ok sit here) and awe and reverance to you all!! I humbly thank you for your service; for the sacrifices you all made to keep my Family safe and this country the greatest. You are all 10' tall and bullet proof in my eyes! There are no greater Americans than those who have worn the UNIFORM any uniform.

Dan

X2

Well said!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »

Dan

X2

Well said!

X3

I could not said it better myself!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sam3

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 06:12:08 AM »
Well said Dan, what a great thread. I'm honored to be associated with great company here.
Thanks to all of you for your service.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 10:42:47 AM »
Look....folks, we really appreciate your fine comments. But, we, as veterans of military service whether it was under fire or not, do not think of ourselves as anyone special. We are proud that we have served this country, especially in this day and age. And, we really consider ourselves as just plain lucky that we are here today. Just plain lucky.

If you really want to honor someone, pay a visit to the US cemetery in Normandy. Or, to a Veterans cemetery in your own State or the one in Hawaii. Those men, whose brief visit with us, are the ones who should be honored.

They could heap all the tin in the world on us, and we would still consider ourselves as just ordinary guys who stood up and did a job just like you do everyday in going to work and taking care of your families. And, we really do not ask for this. Whatever we did was not extraordinary, but it was out of necessity.

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »
Well said, Ed.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
US Navy (1969-1978) ... 1st Class Sonar Technician

1972 - USS Rupertus (DD-851) On the gun line off the coast of Quang Tri, Vietnam in support our ground forces (Army & Marines).  Working in the magazines 12-16+ hours a day handling 5 inch 38 shells and powder casings.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline RAD

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »
Ed, you said it.
Love to cook and eat

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
Look....folks, we really appreciate your fine comments. But, we, as veterans of military service whether it was under fire or not, do not think of ourselves as anyone special. We are proud that we have served this country, especially in this day and age. And, we really consider ourselves as just plain lucky that we are here today. Just plain lucky.

If you really want to honor someone, pay a visit to the US cemetery in Normandy. Or, to a Veterans cemetery in your own State or the one in Hawaii. Those men, whose brief visit with us, are the ones who should be honored.

They could heap all the tin in the world on us, and we would still consider ourselves as just ordinary guys who stood up and did a job just like you do everyday in going to work and taking care of your families. And, we really do not ask for this. Whatever we did was not extraordinary, but it was out of necessity.
Ed

Ed- I expected this reply would come and I fully respect your words. I do honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. There have been times when I have stopped at cemetaries, or after a funeral service for a loved one.... that I try to find at least one or several grave markers of those of which we speak. Or at least, showing that they served during war time. I give thanks to them and honor them as you say. I wish I could get our Kiwanis Club to decorate the resting place of these hero's at least on Memorial Day or Veteran's Day. There are so many that go uncelebrated. I can't help but think that WW1 and many WW2 vet's simply have no family left to honor them. Maybe some day! But, every once in awhile, I relish the chance to honor someone I look up to and admire. To let them know how much their time served means to me. I know that you don't ask for this praise, but you have earned it! I don't feel like I do this enough, taking the time to shake a hand and say "thank you". Especially with the "Greatest Generation" who are leaving us so quickly. Next summer, my Son and I are going to be volunteer chaperones on a Veteran's flight to Washington D.C. where WW2 and Korean Vets get to visit their memorials. I am excited for this opportunity and honored to have been considered.

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 10:25:36 PM »
Looks like the 2LT has mis-placed his compass, and will need to self perform a body cavity search to find it.... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
The Turtle has been all four of those.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
But only one of them recently.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »
I usually stay reasonably sober in NOLA (although "reasonably sober" in NOLA is "seriously drunk" anywhere else).  I tend to get in more trouble within a few miles of home.  Or so I'm told.  I remain convinced, however, that those pictures which purport to prove it were photoshopped.

TMSIAGSAISTI
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 06:07:37 PM »
But only one of them recently.

A visit to the proctologist eh? :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline IBCookin

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
US Air Force, 6950th Security Group. 1969 -- 1975
As the man said .. it was the best of times and it was the worst of times.
Everyone is good at something....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Cooker