Author Topic: 15 months on a $2,500 refrigerator  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: 15 months on a $2,500 refrigerator
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
DANG!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody have any GOOD stories?????????

Deb and I just replaced our fridge, dishwasher, and stove this summer.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline pz

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
DANG!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody have any GOOD stories?????????

Deb and I just replaced our fridge, dishwasher, and stove this summer.

We purchased a Dacor range/oven about 14 years ago and it is still working (mostly)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »
a friend of mine has a refrigerator,  Turtle that's the same as an icebox, and it is over 60 years old and has been working every day for over the 25 years he has had it.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 08:27:51 AM »
My parents still have their old GE fridge from the 70's and I am still using the Kitchenaid dishwasher that came with the house. My stove/oven is from the 60's and is avocado green and has more chrome on it than a old Chevelle.  Oven stopped working last year and I gotta get it fixed pretty soon...
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 09:51:56 AM »
My parents still have their old GE fridge from the 70's and I am still using the Kitchenaid dishwasher that came with the house. My stove/oven is from the 60's and is avocado green and has more chrome on it than a old Chevelle.  Oven stopped working last year and I gotta get it fixed pretty soon...

You might have an issue getting parts. But if you can do it cheaply enough, then it is worth while. You can even have someone come in and paint your appliances if you wish. Then you can say that you have a modern "Retro" look to your appliances.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 10:09:11 AM »

Smoke could be simple as a restricted actuating or standby pilot causing improper impingement on the fluid flame switch capillary bulb. If the bulb is not heated enough by the pilot the gas valve will not open. This is a old school safety system designed to keep the burner gas off if the pilot goes out. Give the Gas Company a call to take a look at it for you. The service is free.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:11:55 AM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Will do  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

15 months on a $2,500 refrigerator
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 11:42:40 AM »
Diagnostic person coming today. No actual work being done.....just diagnostic. :(

They called and said they wanted payment for the diagnostic call before they would come out.  This line of thinking on their part has now been corrected ???

I have a bad feeling this is only the beginning......
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »
Oh my, you have to have Dr. House come in to look at your fridge before you even know if they will fix it? This has gotten out of hand.  ???
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »
Pappy they are so tough to deal with. The fact you have to pay for them just to come out for a diagnostic makes me angry >:(

They know their fridges have a problem with the compressors. The first tech at my house told me so. He was so confident that was the problem that he did not even do a "diagnostic". He told me that they replace them all the time.

Could just be as simple as the condensor fan that was failing causing the griding noise or something(water line) is caught on the fan blades.

They use a really small condensor and fan. It also uses a special refrigerant that costs 3X more than the standard stuff. The compressor is lightweight and cheap. I am surprised they give a 10 year warranty on it. But then again it probably cost them very little and they still charge you to replace the compressor if it fails and that is total BS!

Don't expect it to be fixed today but you make sure that he puts some gauges on the thing to make sure the refrigerant pressures are good also. I wish I had with the first guy :'(
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »
The evaporator fan was completely iced over due to a known issue with how the board was instructing the fan. Which also explains why we have had frosty freezer packaging since day one.

He is ordering me a new Board. He took the evaporator fan panel out (it is located in the rear freezer compartment) ran the panel under water to melt the ice and free up the fan. It was really covered in ice.

Asked him about gauges and refrigerant and he said that wasn't an issue as he showed me how perfectly covered the coils were in coldness. Like I know any better.

Fridge is getting back to temp now. We can use it until the new board comes in. Ordered a fridge and freezer thermometer to keep a better eye on temps......not trusting the electronics.

Hopefully this takes care of my issue......hopefully.

Now we just see who pays for the two visits to my house......so far I have paid nothing. I like that position.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
Pappy my problems started after they updated my computer ::)

Well you should be good for 15 months before it ices up again 8)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »

It's a FRIDGE... a computer?  ??? :o ??? It's a big box that has to stay cold... Sometimes I think we get way too far ahead of ourselves... A box and some ice... come on!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »

Was thinking the same thing. I asked him should this be part of regular maintenance for me. He said it should not happen again ???

On the bright side he told me he got a great deal on an Electrolux fridge. And every month he has to  mess around with the thing to get the ice maker to work. ;)
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »

It's a FRIDGE... a computer?  ??? :o ??? It's a big box that has to stay cold... Sometimes I think we get way too far ahead of ourselves... A box and some ice... come on!

Amen brother
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109