Author Topic: charcoal just taste better to my family  (Read 3806 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: charcoal just taste better to my family
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
sparky
the whole point of the extra 3" is I don't have to do chicken in-direct
I cook it direct over the coals just like the PBC
the direct cook is how we get the crisp skin
you don't get crisp skin on chicken if you cook it in-direct

my aluminum Char-Broil has the same set up as a Weber with the fire grate 5" below the grill
if I cook chicken direct over the coals at 5" I get flair-ups and burnt skin just like a Weber

and I can do a whole lot more with 12" under the lid than the 6" the Weber gives you
I can't do stand-up chicken in a Weber or in my aluminum Char-Broil
not enough clearance under the lid

and I have a lot more room to cook ribs in a rack than you do on a Weber

I don't care what it looks like. I care how good a cooker it is

these are all excellent points capt.  I have to admit the food you produce is top notch in my opinion off the old smokey.  maybe I will get one and check it out.  i'm never to old to learn from ppl who are wiser than me. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
I’m a huge proponent of head to head competition.  I just don’t think you can eat something today and can compare it to something you ate 2 weeks ago.  If you want to know how pellet grilled chicken compares to charcoaled, cook both and serve in a blind test.  This isn’t a big deal and requires only that you use 2 cookers instead of one.  It’s the only way you will get a meaningful comparison in my opinion.  And I’d be the first to say that pellet and charcoal produce a superior product to a gas grill but I still use a gasser; it depends on the food and situation variables.  Personally, I’m glad I’m not limited to one fuel source or cooker.  Think of the monotony!
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »
Now that you guys have peaked my interest, what is out there that is strictly charcoal than can be used as both direct heat steak producer and indirect heat smoker. Or, I can continue using the firebox for direct hea on the Yoder Cheyenne. I have been looking at Weber, some type of Komoda or egg, or what.

What are some the options out there? Can you convert a Weber kettle to indirect heat or a smokey joe?

Let's hear from some of the experts on this because I think that I got the wife where I want here about getting rid of the gas grill.

Thanks,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
I'm not an expert - but I know what I like. I like my Weber Performer - 22 1/2" kettle. This one has the built in gas starter - gotta say it's pretty cool.

I grew up on kettles and when I could afford a Weber, that's what I went with. That original Weber lasted almost 20 years - actually, it's still going in my brother's back yard. It's easy to do direct and indirect cooking - easy to keep a pretty steady temp once you get the vents set. I can add a little smoke flavor with some chips or chunks of wood. There's even a device called the "smokenator" that has had some good reviews. The rotisserie works well and fits perfectly. It's a piece of cake to clean and I have never needed maintenance. It gets plenty hot to make good pizzas, especially if you add some wood to the charcoal.

I do have several other cookers, as many here say - there are devices that work better for different things - mostly, they are just fun. If I had to have just one grill / cooker (and I'd fight that pretty darn hard  ;) ;D) it would be my Weber.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:51:23 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »
Let me add one element that is a major concern for what I select. I am very clumsy and I cannot bend over very well. If I do, I fall. So I need something that will stand on its own and it must be sturdy that I can address while on my feet.

Even the WSM is so low, I could not do it.

Thanks,

Ed
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:42:25 AM by veryolddog »

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 12:41:31 AM »
Just did a search on the internet at my local Lowe's. i get 10 per cent off of anything that I purchase there.

Here are some options.

Char Griller Komado like smoker $299

Weber one touch 22 1/2 inch $149

Weber one touch 27 inch $159

And then my personal favorite weighing in at 255 lbs. the Yoder Abilene (their smallest grill) $599.

Any suggestions?

Ed

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 01:12:28 AM »
I hate trying to give advice about buying a grill. I think the whole thing about cooking and especially doing it outside is so personal, that I can tell you what I've used and liked. I can tell you why. But I would never feel comfortable about saying this is what YOU should use. Just look at the differences between my Weber and Capt Jack's Old Smokey. We can both give the reasons we like our respective cookers, but they are obviously very personal. Although I do have to give Capt Jack points for price (and of course looks  ;) ;D)

I do think you make a good point re: your comfort and that needs to be front and center in your decision. I've never tried the Green Egg type cookers, but there are some on this forum that swear by them and can give better advice. I have to say I really like the simplicity and last foreverness of the Weber. Probably much like the Old Smokey.

Don't know if this is helping at all. I like the Weber for:
  • Easy to use
  • Easy to learn
  • Easy to control
  • Easy to clean
  • Versatile
  • Rugged - lasts forever
  • Lot's of accessories if you want to go that way

Good luck - thinking about a new grill is almost as much fun for me as using it...  ;)

Cheers,

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 02:43:33 AM »
I'm not an expert - but I know what I like.
1) I grew up on kettles and when I could afford a Weber, that's what I went with.  sparky: me too.

2) That original Weber lasted almost 20 years.  sparky: mine last only 18 years.

3) It's easy to do direct and indirect cooking - easy to keep a pretty steady temp once you get the vents set.   sparky: real easy to cook at any temp.  and there is a lots of room for cooking indirect / direct.  steak, chicken I cook indirect then flame on.  perfecto. 

4) I can add a little smoke flavor with some chips or chunks of wood. There's even a device called the "smokenator" that has had some good reviews.  sparky: I just added chucks of wood too.  easy pezy.  I thought the smokenator thing was a joke. 

5) The rotisserie works well and fits perfectly.  sparky:  I have cooked on my rotisserie ribs, chicken, fish, veges, hot dogs.  love the rotisserie.

6) It's a piece of cake to clean and I have never needed maintenance.   sparky:  I don't think cleaning a grill could get any easier that cleaning a weber.  no mess of fuss getting rid of ash.   

7) It gets plenty hot.  sparky:  true tat.  I've burn a lot of different foods. 

If I had to have just one grill / cooker it would be my Weber.  sparky:  me too.

this is so my story also.  for my high school graduation my dad asked me what I wanted.  watch, money or whatever.  told him I wanted a weber kettle like his.  that's what I got.    8)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:55:59 AM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 04:41:41 AM »
Ed,

I don't do a lot of grilling, but I use my offset when I do.  Grate in the fire box for searing and direct or indirect coal in the smoker for longer high heat stuff.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »
Some of my best briskets have come off a 22.5 Weber Kettle. Brisket on one side and one charcoal basket on the other side......that sucker will run at 250 all day long and you wont go though a ton of fuel either.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »
Good post! I like the smoke flavor I get from my Mak and I also love the ease of it, but I have to agree with ya Sparky.. nothing beats the taste of food over charcoal! I have to admit I am starting to like my BGE better than the MAK.. I just dont always have the time to get it going and tend to it.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »
Lest we not forget a very important principle in outdoor cooking folks:

I have had awful food cooked on the most expensive equipment, and fantastic food cooked on the cheapest grill...

It ain't the cooker...it's THE COOK..... ;D

Knowing how each unit works - intimately - and knowing the "personality" of it makes ALL of the difference.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
Lest we not forget a very important principle in outdoor cooking folks:

I have had awful food cooked on the most expensive equipment, and fantastic food cooked on the cheapest grill...

It ain't the cooker...it's THE COOK..... ;D

Knowing how each unit works - intimately - and knowing the "personality" of it makes ALL of the difference.

A good cook can cook good on a rock...  ;) :D
Member #

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:19 AM »
Sparky.  Didn't you do a rib cook off a while back and the fam liked the ribs comming off the mak the best?   

I do love my mak but it is really all I have other than my cheap cheap hotdog gasser.  I would love a webber or Mmaybe go with captain pick.  Would have one but he house is eating up all my money. 

On a side note I feel like sparky painting.  1am, 1am, midnight, 11pm, and called it early at 7 last night.  Still have 3 rooms to go. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 11:39:15 AM »
Best chicken I make is from my PBC (Charcoal)

Best ribs are from my Memphis (Pellets)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven