Author Topic: charcoal just taste better to my family  (Read 3805 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: charcoal just taste better to my family
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
muebe - I agree re: the PBC, in fact I am making a chicken on my PBC for dinner tonight! I mentioned the Weber if I could only have one cooker.

I enjoy ALL of my cookers - each has a unique attribute that I enjoy. And, enjoy is the key word for me when it comes to cooking. It's about having fun creating a meal that I hope my family and friends will enjoy.

I am totally convinced that if I picked up an Old Smokey - I would have a blast cooking with it. To me it has nothing to do with the "cost or value" of the cooker - it's all about having some fun and making something people want to eat.

That's why I say - A good cook can cook good on a rock! I don't claim to be a good cook - but I have cooked some good food on a rock!

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
I have cooked some food that turned out as hard as a rock  :( ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »
Cooking on a rock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCkaPOgm_Qg#at=40

I have a piece of slate I've kept for several years for doing this type of cook. I've also used field rock (typically granite) - just building the fire around the rock. I usually build a good fire and let the rock get hot and blow any moisture it might have stored. Then let the fire / rock cool to the point where cooking makes sense. When camping we usually build the fire early to "season the rock" then re-stoke the fire later to cook. If you want to get really "fancy" you can bank the fire around different rocks to different degrees - let's you cook various parts of the meal at different temps.

It's a blast to cook on a hot rock!

Cheers,

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »
Alright, never being known to be patient which is one of my biggest faults especially with respect to impulsive buying, I visited Lowes today and purchased a Weber Gold one touch for $134.00 after my 10 per cent discount. They only had two left. I also purchased a cover and a set of charcoal baskets to go with it. Looks like all Weber accessories are depleted. I wanted to get a rotisserie but they don't carry that accessory. So, this will be fired up on Sunday for a family dinner where hamburgers and hot dogs will be served.

The older I get, the more impulsive that I get.

Do you guys know of any place on the internet where you can purchase Weber accessories for a discount? I really would like to get that rotisserie. I have visions of a chicken spinning around until it is golden brown with nice crisp skin. Is that direct or indirect heat? Now I have something else to learn about. I haven't even learned enough about the wood smoker. Compared to the wood smoker and now the Weber, the pellet smoker is viewed as quite simplistic. I am going to publish a book about the pellet smoker: smoking for dummies like me using the pellet smoker.

Thanks for all your input. This fits my needs as I will not have to bend down or over or try to kneel. And it is, at least, waist height. My hope is that I would like to be able to cook chicken golden brown like Captain Jack on his Smokey Joe.

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »
I was going to kelp you make / buy a charcoal basket to use the main chamber of your offset a charcoal grill but I was TOO LATE  ???
However for an impulse buy a weber gold is as good as it gets ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 05:25:56 PM »
I suppose I look at the equation differently Ed. What is the value of the human resource in the "which cooker " decision?

Because...I think you could persuade Jack to grab you a scratch and dent special...you supply the meat - and he could likely be coerced into bringing you an Old Smoky - and providing a demonstration cook! :D :D :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:22:25 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 06:25:08 PM »
The old adage is: you can't take it with you. So.......I think I'll have some fun and spend what I want now. And, thank God, my wife is very supportive knowing all the other things I could do and get into trouble.

I am just lucky to be here and for what remaining time that I have, I intend to enjoy it. When I get this dam hip replaced and I can walk again like a normal person, I am going to hit every trout stream in the Rocky Mountains from the Canadian Border to the Southern Rockies in Northern New Mexico.

Ed

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »
Go get em, Ed   :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 10:16:14 PM »
Ed,

If there is ANYTHING I would rather do than cook outdoors - it's fly fishing. If you ever need or want a partner to explore those streams, just give me a call.

David
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 10:37:47 PM »
Sparky.  Didn't you do a rib cook off a while back and the fam liked the ribs comming off the mak the best?   

On a side note I feel like sparky painting.  1am, 1am, midnight, 11pm, and called it early at 7 last night.  Still have 3 rooms to go.

yes I did.  well see it that holes up tonight.  cooking ribs on the WSM and the mak 1 star.  275° and cruising. 

I just spent the last 2 1/2 weeks pressure washing, priming (3 coats of elastomeric), paint (2 coats).  my hands are really sore.   :(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »
Ed,

If there is ANYTHING I would rather do than cook outdoors - it's fly fishing. If you ever need or want a partner to explore those streams, just give me a call.

David

Well, David, I might take you up on that offer and we can start in Montana, perhaps the Bitteroot or the Madison, or something other.

That would be great.

Ed

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
Ed,

David

If there is anything I would rather do than cook outdoors it would involve a certain lady and I would not invite any of you, but fishing is good too.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 11:14:56 PM »

A good cook can cook good on a rock...  ;) :D

a good cook will smoke the rock until it hits 205° and then pull it.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 02:10:24 AM »
Ed,

David

If there is anything I would rather do than cook outdoors it would involve a certain lady and I would not invite any of you, but fishing is good too.

Touche!
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 02:30:55 AM »
Ed,

David

Well, David, I might take you up on that offer and we can start in Montana, perhaps the Bitteroot or the Madison, or something other.

That would be great.

Ed

Ed,

Let me know. I've fished the Bitterroot and several small rivers in Montana - that's a great place to start!

David
Member #