Author Topic: I have a Dream  (Read 2758 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
I have a Dream
« Reply #-1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
It's been 50 years since the "I have a Dream " speech was given.
I was a 9 Y/o living in Mississippi .
America is not perfect but the improvement in the last 50 years has been astounding!
My children & I have black friends, gay friends ,Jewish friends inconceivable when I was born.
People wish for the "good old days" well in my option this time is better & I hope & pray it will continue to improve for my heirs!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: I have a Dream
« on: August 25, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
Great post. I was looking through some "old" pictures of my kids the other day. My oldest daughter (now 15) was in a picture with her best friends in 1st grade. Emma was the only "white" girl. Every other race / color imaginable was represented in the 10 girls in the picture. It never occurred to her that there was any difference.

One day we were shopping for school clothes (again in the early grades) and Emma was playing hide and seek with an African American girl about the same age, between the racks of clothes.  After the other girl left, Emma asked "Where did the chocolate girl go?" Kids don't see a difference, it's what they learn that makes the difference.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »
All babies are born without prejudice, if we could somehow not mess them up we would be in real good shape.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »
All babies are born without prejudice, if we could somehow not mess them up we would be in real good shape.

bravo..... words we should all live by. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pappymn

I have a Dream
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »

x2
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 12:28:25 PM »
Faith has been defined as "Things hoped for yet not seen".
The I Have a Dream speech is the embodiment of faith in humanity and humanity's ability to pause and look up for guidance., thus faith in God.

It is often taken for granted as belonging to one group of people. If you do in fact believe that we are all created equal - and with certain unalienable rights, then Dr. King's speech can be seen as a re-defining moment for all Americans, and people all over the world as a beacon shining on the Constitution and it's amendments - washing away all shadows of mis-just interpretation of equality.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

I have a Dream
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »

Faith has been defined as "Things hoped for yet not seen".
The I Have a Dream speech is the embodiment of faith in humanity and humanity's ability to pause and look up for guidance., thus faith in God.

It is often taken for granted as belonging to one group of people. If you do in fact believe that we are all created equal - and with certain unalienable rights, then Dr. King's speech can be seen as a re-defining moment for all Americans, and people all over the world as a beacon shining on the Constitution and it's amendments - washing away all shadows of mis-just interpretation of equality.

T

Would love to put him in a time machine to the present day. Bet he would very unhappy on many levels
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 02:17:42 PM »
Indeed..Pappy...indeed :-X
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »
my parents went to the Univ.of Texas and were VERY enlightened
70% of my high school class were some of the brightest Jewish kids I could have ever grown up with

as my mother said:
it's not what color your skin is or where you are from
it's your intelligence and perspective of life

Sounds like your folks understood well that "opportunity" - does not mean "artificial advantage" ;). I was taught that equal opportunity meant I had the opportunity to succeed - as well as fail. It is up to ME.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 02:37:44 PM »
I have a feeling that we would have changed the course of our joint histories Jack...We would have likely gotten into a helluva lot of trouble! :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »
Very good post. I'll bet that the members of this forum are as diverse as what one would expect in the population as a whole, and yet, we are all treated with equality and respect.  I've not read a judgmental nor condescending post in the many hundreds of topics I've visited.

Yes, indeed; we have come a long way both on the macroscopic level of the USA population as a while, and even down to the microcosmic level of forums such as this one.

I'm proud to be a member.

Offline Pappymn

I have a Dream
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »

Very good post. I'll bet that the members of this forum are as diverse as what one would expect in the population as a whole, and yet, we are all treated with equality and respect.  I've not read a judgmental nor condescending post in the many hundreds of topics I've visited.

Yes, indeed; we have come a long way both on the macroscopic level of the USA population as a while, and even down to the microcosmic level of forums such as this one.

Clearly you haven't had a run in with the Turtle ;). You see blue font.....run
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »

pz - your observation about the forum, and our lack of "attitude"  - is part of why there is an Let's Talk BBQ.  :) . I believe it is the quality of character possessed by each our members here that makes this forum a little different.

After all- BBQ and Outdoor Cooking should never be divisive. On the contrary, the one commonality for all mankind, no matter what ethnicity or climate they hail from is....cooking outdoors over a live fire.
Whether it is for sustenance - or ceremonial, EVERY group of mankind has a long historical connection with the practice of outdoor cooking.

Just as "There's no crying in baseball!!!  :D( ala Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own - 1992 ) There should be no arguing, grandstanding, arrogance, or politics in outdoor cooking. I will openly admit and profess that I am not an aethist, and as a person of faith, I do have a bias in favor of the belief that there is far more to us than a happy accident between 2 lonely cells floating in an open ocean could ever, possibly have brought about.
But - I respect those that differ, and do not ever want MY belief to interfere with anyone's enjoyment of the site. So - we respect all- regardless of their individual perspectives.
I think that we all know how to not step on toes as well ;D....all we have to do is just listen to what we know is right. Not to "be right"....but to "do right". ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:11:08 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
What a boring world it would be if we were all the same color and our BBQ tasted the same....that is my simple take on things..
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
... Not to "be right"....but to "do right". ;)

You know, that single phrase just about sums it all up perfectly