Author Topic: Pics: first 3 cooks on the PBC. And requesting help for low elevation cook times  (Read 6746 times)

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Thanks for all the responses and recommendations!  Has anyone hung salmon or other fish fillets (skin on)?  I'm wondering if the meat would separate and fall off, but not sure.  I'm shooting for a cooked-through, teriyaki style fillet that would go with crackers and cheeses.   I'd do this on the offset, but I really want to see what the PBC can do.

I would use the grate. Would probably fall into the coals.

Maybe hang them housed in fish baskets...

http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-14794-Chrome-Fish-Basket/dp/B0047ZFGHG/ref=sr_1_18?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377563595&sr=1-18&keywords=fish+basket

I'm with muebe on this one.

Definitely use the grill grate for the fish :)  Have a great week! - Amber PBC Co.

Offline pz

The advice by all regarding hanging filets is sound - they need some kind of support.  Although I've not done salmon, I have done whole trout by hanging in a smoke box, and I suspect the method would apply to most fish - when whole, there is plenty of support to keep the flesh on the the fish - take the support of skin and bone away and I suspect the meat will fall off the hook.

Offline Hub

Thanks for all the responses and recommendations!  Has anyone hung salmon or other fish fillets (skin on)?  I'm wondering if the meat would separate and fall off, but not sure.  I'm shooting for a cooked-through, teriyaki style fillet that would go with crackers and cheeses.   I'd do this on the offset, but I really want to see what the PBC can do.

http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-14794-Chrome-Fish-Basket/dp/B0047ZFGHG/ref=sr_1_18?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377563595&sr=1-18&keywords=fish+basket

Definitely use the grill grate for the fish :)  Have a great week! - Amber PBC Co.

Anything you hang MUST have either sufficient bone structure to support its own weight once fully cooked or be provided with additional support in some way (like hanging a basket from the hooks).  Several of us have had "gravity incidents" wherein our food plunged into the fiery depths.  When this happens you not only will have to order a pizza, you'll have to appologize to the neighbors for the intensely offensive aroma that will be produced.  I once hung six chicken leg/thigh quarter combos.  Four of them dislodged into the coals providing acrid, nasty smoke to the two that remained suspended.  Clean-up was most unpleasant  :(

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca

Anything you hang MUST have either sufficient bone structure to support its own weight once fully cooked or be provided with additional support in some way (like hanging a basket from the hooks).  Several of us have had "gravity incidents" wherein our food plunged into the fiery depths.  When this happens you not only will have to order a pizza, you'll have to appologize to the neighbors for the intensely offensive aroma that will be produced.  I once hung six chicken leg/thigh quarter combos.  Four of them dislodged into the coals providing acrid, nasty smoke to the two that remained suspended.  Clean-up was most unpleasant  :(

Hub

Hub I had one of these gravity incidents but still ate them anyways ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sweetbread

I'm at about 630 ft in elevation.  I had to tinker with the intake at first.  The intake should be at a quarter open, but I had it more like 1/3 open at first and the temps were too high.  I used a maverick temp probe and adjusted the intake until the temp locked into the 280-290 range.  Btw, the foods looks awesome!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:28:30 PM by Sweetbread »
Pit Barrel Cooker, CharGriller Akorn, and Weber Jumbo Joe.

PoppyBill

First few tries and the food still looks delicious! Good cooker, great cook.

Offline 4cornersmoker

All of your 3 meals look super. I would eat at your house any day. Keep up the smokin'!
18.8 Weber one touch, 22.5 Weber Performer,18.5 WSM, Weber go anywhere, smoky joe Bronc smoker, med green egg, & PBC. Hasty Bake 414, The Good One Open Range.

Offline pavlaugh

• Houston, TX
Checking back in... I tried hanging the salmon and it worked OK.  Cut the fillets vertically into strips and hooked through the thick (top) ends.  I did have a "gravity incident," but it was due to my own fumble when removing the hook from the rebar -- just slipped out of my hands.  Woops!  I'm going to buy a fish basket regardless.  Thanks for the recs!

Before:

After:

I'm a big fan of the PBC, so I built this grill table for it.  I wanted it to be a little more mobile for the backyard, and I wanted a place to put accessories, plates, etc.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:27:11 PM by pavlaugh »
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline JGARCIA

Nice Table.  I think I just found my next project.
22.5" Weber Kettle
New Braunfels Bandera
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Weber Smokey Joe