Author Topic: Had a pretty good cook today..sort of...  (Read 922 times)

Offline dawrecknq

Had a pretty good cook today..sort of...
« Reply #-1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »
I competed at a comp this weekend. I think my Yoder 1320 has a board malfunction and will be taking it back to the factory for a retrofit. The temps were all over the place. I am talking 40-60 degree swings. I am not a happy camper right now! Despite what I thought was an absolute HORRIBLE cook. I was very close to just chucking it or dropping back to punt. My good friend and one my mentors has always told me: "You always turn in, no matter what, because you never know!". I kept repeating that to myself. My ribs ended up slightly overcooked, all right, overcooked period. Hearing Steve's voice in my head, I walked to the turn in and hoped for the best. That best turned out to be a 3rd place and $40.00 pay back. One judge willing to talk to me told that they felt the comments were they were the best tasting.. but slightly over cooked. If I had turned them in cooked as good as last weekend, I very well may have seen 1st place. They loved my flavor profile. The other meats... brisket: appearance 1-9's and 6-8's. Taste: 1-9 and 5-8's. Tenderness: 2- 9's, 1-8 and 3- 7's. Pork: Appear. 4- 7's, 1-8 and 1-6. Taste: 2-7's, 3-8's and 1-9. Tenderness: 3- 8's, 2-7's, -1-9. The fun part....Steve took a listen from Pitmasters and threw in a "mystery" meat. He did not give out that meat until all teams were there. Turned out to be a package of Hot Dogs. What to do with a pack of hot dogs? I smoked the dogs then made some hot dog gumbo. Dog, noodles, peas, carrots, onions, garlic, milk and viola.... hot dog gumbo! The public that tried it loved it. My appear. scores 4-7's. 1-6 and 1-8. Taste: 2-9's, 3-7's and 1-8. Tender: 4-7's, 1-9, 1-8. How you tell tenderness on a hot dog gumbo??? It was a fun twist to the event. The winners: brined hot dog in brown sugar syrup, wrapped in bacon and smoked. It was interesting to see what some teams did. It was a great comp.

Oh, did I mention that there were 12 teams and 10 of those were cooking a the American Royal last weekend. I feel very humbled, very blessed and most of all very surprised!!! I gotta find me some BBQ team members to help though. These cooks by yourself are just way too much work!!
 ;) :D
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Had a pretty good cook today..sort of...
« on: October 12, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
Congratulations on a solid finish  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Had a pretty good cook today..sort of...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »
Way to hang in there. You always have buddies here at LTBBQ.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Sam3

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »
Good for you on a solid finish. I feel you walked away with some confidence too, a win win in my book.
Keep up the good work brother. 
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
that's great.  sorry to hear about your yoder.  nice 3rd in ribs.  I like the hot dog gumbo.  i'm thinking you need to post the recipe.  some of us around here are hot dog connoisseurs.  and hot dog gumbo is right up my ally.  i'm thinking a package of nathans and were good to go.   :P :P :P  sounds good. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:43:47 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
Hope you get your Yoder issues corrected.

Sounds like a great turn in regardless of the issues ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 08:22:48 PM »
Way to muscle through.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
that's great.  sorry to hear about your yoder.  nice 3rd in ribs.  I like the hot dog gumbo.  i'm thinking you need to post the recipe.  some of us around here are hot dog connoisseurs.  and hot dog gumbo is right up my all.  i'm thinking a package of nathans and were good to go.   :P :P :P  sounds good.

You got it....but it will probably be tomorrow....think the 2 hrs of sleep last night are catching up to me!!! Hard to tell what I would type!
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
Hope you get your Yoder issues corrected.

Sounds like a great turn in regardless of the issues ;)

It will get remedied one way or another.... I will give Yoder a chance to fix but, then this winter, My buddy and mentor Steve is going to hook me up with...... a certain sponsor on this site....Savannah Stoker Pellet Grill Control System. He has great experience with them and has close ties to them. He desperately wants to put one on a 1320 and dial it in to show what the SSII can do. Especially video taping the differences and You tubing it to some buddies. I see this as a great opportunity for me to upgrade the 1320, learn from Steve and get this rig absolutely DIALED in!!

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »
To everyone else...thank you for the kind words, congrats and encouragement!!! I truly appreciate the friends that I have made on here!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
I have a SSII on my Traeger PTG. You won't be disappointed with the SSII ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:18:12 PM »
Proud to have you posting your results on the forum!! it is so awesome you went to this function and did so well by yourself. Nice job Mister!!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 09:28:59 PM »
Congrats on your 3rd place ribs! I am sure Yoder will get your problems fixed soon!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 10:02:57 PM »
Hey, way to pull through equipment issues and, still come in with a solid finish. Congratulations and go get 'em next time out!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
Talk about making lemonade from lemons.... or good food from a tough situation. Congratulations!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #