Author Topic: Not my Favorite Holiday Meal: Turkey  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Not my Favorite Holiday Meal: Turkey
« Reply #-1 on: November 20, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »
Nov 20 2013

Most people will have turkey on Thanksgiving. It is not my favorite meat to have and I don’t like the leftovers. Besides it interrupts my one hobby, combing through cooking sites on the web and watching cooking shows on TV. From about the first of November until the New Year all you will see are shows and articles about preparing Turkey. There are 59 other days I need to eat in Nov. and Dec.!

I can honestly say the only turkey I really enjoyed was a deboned turkey roll from a fellow worker. He had them all made up in a cooking bag, seasoned, with a pop up. Done in the oven and all you had to do was slice and serve; no carving around bones and you could get it served while still hot. It was the juiciest and tender turkey I have ever eaten.

I would rather have some good ham but if I do have turkey besides having mashed potatoes and gravy my favorite sides are some candied sweet potatoes and oyster dressing. My Mother in law fixed the best oyster dressing I ever ate; unfortunately I never got her recipe.

Never knowing for sure what day our son and family will go to her parents or come here I will take the easy way out this year. It will be dinner for four prepared by Bob Evens! Turkey breast and all the trimmings all cooked up and I will pay extra for some ham too! Our daughter will not make it home this year and my 92 year old Mother doesn’t go out anymore; I will have left overs to take to her.

I know I will be seeing you post a lot of turkey cooks and some even do a practice cook. Please forgive me if I don’t pop in and comment on your turkey cooks! Just remember there are 39 other days left we must eat before the New Year! I hope all have a Happy and safe Holiday time and some good food; even if it is turkey!  ;D
Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Not my Favorite Holiday Meal: Turkey
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:02:41 PM »
Don,  Wouldn't it be great if we had to put up with the turkeys in DC only one day a year?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »
I have no doubt you will amaze us with whatever you cook in place on turkey Don.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »
my favorite meal is the next day.  I love open faced hot turkey sandwiches w/ all the fixins.   :P :P :P
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »
my favorite meal is the next day.  I love open faced hot turkey sandwiches w/ all the fixins.   :P :P :P

X2 - we like to make pot pie too  - looking forward to seeing your non-turkey cooks throughout the holiday season, Don!

Offline Pappymn

Not my Favorite Holiday Meal: Turkey
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
We love ya SD, but how can you not like left over turkey day goodies ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:31:29 PM by Pappymn »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »
SD - you and my youngest brother. He'd prefer a ham over turkey any day. But he makes a mean turkey in TBE. Me, I like ham for dinner and turkey for leftovers. Nothing better than a cold turkey sandwich on thick cut home made bread, real mayo, plenty of salt, stuffing, and cranberries. Especially when eating them in the duck blind. Dang, now I am hungry!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 02:44:18 PM »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »
I would rather have a prime rib roast instead of Turkey, but the family says nope...............heck, I would rather do a couple of chickens.......but nope..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 04:26:42 AM »
I would rather have a prime rib roast instead of Turkey, but the family says nope...............heck, I would rather do a couple of chickens.......but nope..............

+1 on this smoke! But hey I'm just the cook and what SWMBO wants, well you know... 8)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 08:11:16 AM »
I'm with you Don.. not a big fan of Turkey.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 08:20:38 AM »

Sparky, I couldn't agree with you more!  Football, grazing, and of course FT's!   I'm ready!   8)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
Jack, What's your recipe for those breasts?  They really look great. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »
Jack, Thanks.  Phil's Instant Gourmet Original is really good. Sort of gets lost in the shuffle with all the others available.  Sure wish Phil was still around.  Dee

Offline BurntENZ

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »
I love PROTEIN!!!

I think Turkey needs a lot of help, and why so many don't like it.  last year I deboned a 23 lb turkey, and brine it.  First time doing this.  I seasoned the inside, and rolled it, then roasted.  It was the best bird I ever cooked, that was not deep friend.  It was the brine they kept Tom juicy, as well as the bird being rolled, so it could cook evenly.

I'm planning on throwing Tom on the Rec Tec whole, after a nice brine bath.  Then make a lemon garlic compound butter to stick under the skin.

I hope everyone has a wonderful happy holiday.
Cheers,
Scott

Rec Tec Smoker
WSM
sticks and fire

"BBQ is slow, have patience.  Do you have a bottle opener handy? If so use it, if not go get one..."