Author Topic: Collard Greens Question  (Read 3021 times)

Offline RAD

Collard Greens Question
« Reply #-1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »
I have a bunch of collard greens that I just cleaned and stemmed. I put them in a couple of gallon bags and plan on doing them tomorrow, the day before.

The question I have is how long do you cook your greens for? I’ve seen anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours. Also, has anyone tried leftover pulled pork? I was going to add the pulled pork instead of the ham along with some onions and garlic.
Love to cook and eat

Offline hikerman

Re: Collard Greens Question
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:45:43 AM »
RAD, I braise mine for 'bout 30 min. then turn heat up to med. high and cook until most liquid evaporates.
You know that pulled pork idea sounds great!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »
I like to braise mine in chicken stock, and maybe a piece of bacon. I do not like my greens completely limp. I like a little "al dente" texture. Not sure about cook time, just watch and taste as you go.

I had a fantastic pull pork sandwich in Athens GA recently.
It was topped with both Georgie Red and Alabama White sauce……But placed directly on top of the pork were collards. MAN! What a treat!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:33:07 PM »
I like to fry up some diced bacon, remove from the skillet then cook the greens down in the bacon grease with lid on, take the lid off and add the bacon back in and stir awhile, and maybe add a drizzle of cider vinegar, salt and pepper. If you like it more crispy make it like wilted lettuce. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »
I have used pulled pork before , almost makes the greens a meal especially if you add new potatoes.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »
I like to fry up some diced bacon, remove from the skillet then cook the greens down in the bacon grease with lid on, take the lid off and add the bacon back in and stir awhile, and maybe add a drizzle of cider vinegar, salt and pepper. If you like it more crispy make it like wilted lettuce. Don

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
This all sounds good. How long do you cook them for? I like the idea of adding some taters too.
Love to cook and eat

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »
Those ideas sound quite tasty.  We do collards, kale, and chard all pretty much the same - enough water to ensure proper steaming (glass lid) until tender.  We start checking for tenderness once they turn a bright green, and continue until they have the right "bite" (not too mushy, not too tough).  Then salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »
Would like to help RAD but my southern chef i sleeping, sorry.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 11:11:45 PM »
Don't forget fat back or ham hock.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline RAD

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:20:43 PM »
Don't forget fat back or ham hock.  Dee
I was going to use leftover pulled pork
Love to cook and eat

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:39:47 AM »
This all sounds good. How long do you cook them for?

Collards & turnip greens have similar cook times and will usually take from about 45 minutes to an hour or so.

Quote from: teesquare
I do not like my greens completely limp. I like a little "al dente" texture. Not sure about cook time, just watch and taste as you go.

That right there is the key for cook time; it depends on how you like them. If you like them a little al dente, then 45 minutes or so is about the longest you want to steam them.

The pulled pork should be really good in the greens. You'll just want to adjust the salt accordingly.

I really like collards, but I'll be doing some turnip greens tomorrow (I absolutely love 'em).  Some tender diced turnips & taters in them only makes it better!  Give me a bowlful of turnip greens cooked with a little ham or bacon, and a plate of corn bread, and brother I am good to go!

Cliff

P.S. Can you believe that; an Ohio boy who loves turnip greens? But I do!  8)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »
Rad:  Here is a recipe that I have used for years.  A black friend of mine said that I was the only white boy that she knew that could cook collards.  Cut recipe in half if you want less, I usually use only 2 pounds of collards.  Most supermarkets have the collards already cleaned and cut up in bags like salad lettuce.

Full Recipe:

4 pound of collards
3 tbl of olive oil
1 onion julienned
2 garlic cloves smashed
I small bag of smoked pork neck bones or hocks (I always use neck bones and pick out the meat after cooking to add the flavor)
2 bay leaves
2 quarts of chicken broth
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
red pepper flakes to taste
seasoned salt

Coat a 6 quart or large pot with olive oil and place over medium heat.  Add the onions, garlic, stir to coat, then add the neck bones and bay leaves.  Cook about 8 minutes.  Pack in the greens, pushing them down in the pot.  Add the broth, vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes.  Bring to a hard boil for about 10 minutes until the greens start to wilt.  Turn the greens over with a wooden spoon, do not stir.  Lower heat to a gentle boil, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.  Taste the pot broth and check the seasoning, and add seasoning salt to taste.  Cover and cook for another 15 minutes.  Pick the meat out from the bones and add the meat back to the pot.  The collards taste the best after a day or so in the refrigerator.

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »
So you want to cook the best pot of collards ever?
It can only be achieved this time of the year, here's why!

First you got-to-get a corned ham if you can find one.
It is a fresh ham that has been packed with salt for about a week and a half or so. Mostly found in various parts of the south with limited availability in November and December while supplies last of course.  I made my purchase on Monday from the locally owned Piggly-Wiggly, 6+ pound picnic half. On a ham this is the top half, the lowed half is called the shank which is different than what everything is called on the shoulder.

As for the collard greens, I usually get them from a local farmer selling from his Ford pickup truck tailgate. I scoured the area on the way to the Pig, but couldn't locate him. So while at the Pig, I made a trip down the produce isle to check out their selection. They had some good looking, freshly picked, crisp stem collards which are locally grown. This is one of the things I like about this store, they support the local farmers. Anyways I picked up a few bundles.  Now this variety of collards is locally referred to as a "cabbage-collard". It displays a lighter green color with a slight yellow tint that can be found on some leaves. It taste different (better) from regular collards, being a heirloom variety native to Pitt County, NC. Sorry, but you won't find them elsewhere outside of Pitt County except at "The Pit" in Raleigh, NC. It is because of this special collard that Ayden, NC started a Collard Festival about 40 years ago which has been designated as the official North Carolina "Collard Festival". One more thing that makes collards such a special dish this time of the year is the growing season. A collard can be grown all year in most places in the south, but the fall crop is the most flavorful. If mother nature has cooperated, the collards have been through a few hard frost. There is something about frostbitten collards green that makes them naturally sweeter and more tender. This year mother nature cooperated.

Time to cook.

I prefer to bake a smoked ham, and the same can be done with a corned ham, but for today it has to be boiled, NO exception!  In a pot of water it goes, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. After an hour, drain the water, refill the pot and start again, else the pot lick'r will be tooooooo salty. After the ham is done, remove to a platter and cover to hold warm until ready to slice and serve. Now in goes the cleaned and partially steamed collards into this delisous, well seasoned pot lick'r.  (By now your mouth should be watering). The collards are done in about 45 minutes or so; the stems will be tender. Drain 'em in a collander, then a quick two knife by-pass slice. Serve in the old bowl you got from grandma.

One word of warning; if you take this dish to a family gathering don't be surprised if the collards get more compliments than anything else on the table. This has been know to upset the hostess something terrible. 

As for the ham; eatting it with the Thanksgiving meal is completely optional; but it does make for some fine sandwiches for football game watching this weekend. Do not discard the bone. Freeze the bone along with some of the meat to season your black-eyed peas for New Years. My grandma was known for freezing some of the pot lick'r as well for the same reason.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:58:04 AM by Savannah Stoker Controller »

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »
Collards were some of the best I’ve had.

Everyone getting ready

Onions getting soft

Added the garlic and pulled pork

Everyone in the pot for a steam

After a bit of time this was the sample bowl. Outstanding.

We should have enough for tomorrow. I hope, we all have had a few bowls.
Love to cook and eat