Author Topic: Football Bowl season...  (Read 679 times)

Offline dawrecknq

Football Bowl season...
« Reply #-1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:02:48 PM »
Our local community college hosts a post season NJCAA bowl game. One of my best friends is the Sports Information Director at the college and I regularly work the games as a spotter for him with stats. We hosted a team from North Dakota (located just 10 miles from Canada border). The temperature at kick off was around 10 and it warmed all the way to 16. The ND team was at home in the cold. One player said that back in Bottineau, this would have been considered a pretty warm day. That was about the only thing positive for them.

How many times have any of you watched a game where a team had 61 offensive plays for a total of 4 yrds? They had 2 snaps sail over the punters head, one for a safety and one for a turn over on the 1 yrd line. Their punter wiffed completely on one and it went about 2 yrds. After 3 quarters, they had one first down, only by penalty on our team. They did end up with one actual 1st down. It was on a blocked punt that their center caught and rumbled 38 yrds. Their longest play from scrimmage. They had one fumble that we returned for a 42 yrd touchdown.

To their credit the defense played an extremely good game, considering their avg. starting position was from their own 18 and our starting position was from their 46. The game ended 57-0 but their defense held our offense to 0 points in the 2nd quarter and about 1/2 way through the 3rd. This may sound like a very boring game; but like I said their defense managed to make the game entertaining and their special teams made it unpredictable.

Oh yeah, My Sooners on the Bedlam Series again....it was a sweet hearing that announced several times!!!
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: Football Bowl season...
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »
Unfortunately, the football season will be coming to a close in a month or so. At least there is college basketball. When March madness ends, there is a big lull for me until September. Although, I played college baseball, I find major league baseball boring and foolish for what they pay these guys as entertainers.  :)

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:49:08 AM »
Ed- I seriously don't like basketball (hate seemed to strong but much more honest) and I haven't watched baseball in many years. If they would speed up the game and make it more exciting. Watch a girls fastpitch game to see the difference. You are dead on about the over pay for athletes in either sport. Football is about the only sport still watch. I used to be a rabid NASCAR fan, but now it is nothing more than HendricksCar and I find it worthless. I do like watching the truck races still, where young guns are still hungry and drive every lap on the edge of sanity.
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »
There is baseball season and baseball off season to me.  Nothing else as far as I am concerned.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS