Author Topic: Wimp Governor cancels school for the whole state on Monday  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Pappymn

Wimp Governor cancels school for the whole state on Monday
« Reply #-1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
In my day, this never happened.  School districts here and there would cancel or delay starts, but nothing state wide.

And this is for cold.....not snow.  Snow keeps people from getting from A to B, but not cold.

Though I shouldn't be surprised as our Governor is a nationally known Grade A certified woose.  ??? :o ;)

Yes my buddies to the North, let the mocking begin    :'(

We earned it!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Wimp Governor cancels school for the whole state on Monday
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:33:55 PM »
They do that stuff in TX when bad weather hits, but they have plenty of extra days to play with.  Not so much up your way Pappy.  Even snow days were far and few between when I was growing up in PA (anything under 10 inches, don't count on it).  Every once in a while you'd get the 2 hour delay.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »
In my day, this never happened.  School districts here and there would cancel or delay starts, but nothing state wide.

And this is for cold.....not snow.  Snow keeps people from getting from A to B, but not cold.

Though I shouldn't be surprised as our Governor is a nationally known Grade A certified woose.  ??? :o ;)

We earned it!
HA HA, we close schools if they say there will be up to 1 inch of snow here!  The stores sell out of bread and milk, the whole city goes to crap over nothing!

But they put the entire road crew on stand by just in case there is 1 inch of snow but wont let the trucks roll out till it's clear and roads can be driven on,    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Go figure,     OH the sunny south!   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
I agree 100% Pappy. We wore long johns, an extra pair of socks, boots and enough outerwear that nobody recognized us.
On another note, we have no school on Monday either. It's Teachers Institute Day!  Kids and teachers just had at least 2 weeks off and on the day they should ALL be back school is postponed so teachers can talk about how schools can be improved!  ???

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:13:08 PM »
I agree 100% Pappy. We wore long johns, an extra pair of socks, boots and enough outerwear that nobody recognized us.
On another note, we have no school on Monday either. It's Teachers Institute Day!  Kids and teachers just had at least 2 weeks off and on the day they should ALL be back school is postponed so teachers can talk about how schools can be improved???
They could start by getting them back to teaching the kids instead of just throwing information at them and not teaching like there use to be. 

Heck, they don't even tech hand writing here anymore  ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »

We earned it!

No mocking from us Pappy ;D The kids get off more easier today than we had it. Not sure why it is ???
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
On another note, we have no school on Monday either. It's Teachers Institute Day!  Kids and teachers just had at least 2 weeks off and on the day they should ALL be back school is postponed so teachers can talk about how schools can be improved???
They could start by getting them back to teaching the kids instead of just throwing information at them and not teaching like there use to be. 

This is why my children are (always have been and will be until college) home-schooled.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »

This is why my children are (always have been and will be until college) home-schooled.

Good for you SB!
I don't mean this as an attack on any teacher, but ....the school systems are in my opinion not geared for the children but rather for the benefit of the teachers!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »
Here in Southern California the kids go to school in all kinds of weather  ;) :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »
Here in Southern California the kids go to school in all kinds of weather  ;) :D

up here too.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »
Them cute kids of yours will be safe at home instead of on a bus sliding across the freeway, Thank your governor!!

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »
Up north, we have very few closure days, but that is because we have the equipment to properly do snow removal.  However, we do not in my memory ever close for simple cold.

On an aside, as a parent, I was horrified when I realized that our kids could take the same test as many times as they wanted until they achieved the grade they wanted.  In my day we got one chance to do a test, and that was it.  However, in recent years, I have come to realize that it is not always the teacher, but the failure of the administration to support academic rigor in the classroom.  Teachers are sometimes threatened with their jobs if they do not push students through.  Unfortunately elected administrators will listen more to the complaining parents, than they will do what is right for the student for their future.

Unfortunately the "No child left behind" initiative sounded good, but the end result is that K-12 education was then teaching to the lowest common denominator, and now the colleges are suffering the consequences.  Colleges are now being told to reduce the number of credits for a degree, and to do away with remediation, both of which further degrades the quality of the American educational experience.  Typical government though, treat the symptoms rather than fix the root problem.  Education will not improve until K-12 is fixed

I read an article not too long ago in which students worldwide were assessed in mathematical skills.  Of all students worldwide, American kids had among the lowest test scores, yet had the highest opinion of themselves.

All I can say is that I am fearful for the quality of my health care as I age (the latest bright idea in American education is to reduce medical school from 4 years to 3 years to push more graduates through)

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 11:27:05 PM »
Here in Southern California the kids go to school in all kinds of weather

Here, too (like that's a big deal) but we allow DSDs (discretionary surfing days) for when the waves are just too good to miss.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion