Author Topic: Beef prices  (Read 499 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Beef prices
« Reply #-1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
 Just saw on the local news that the prices for cheaper cuts of meat are going up . Have already started in fact. The local meat market owner said they have already reached the premium meat prices now from some suppliers.  Meaning hamburger will cost as much as ribeye etc. I'm heading out today to stock up on what I can find, if I'm not to late.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Beef prices
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »
If I remember this is weather related.  Was there not a drought and the cost of feeding cattle with hay and grain made it uneconomical to continue to raise them so they slaughter their herds and flooded the market?  I think that is the main cause.  Did not some cows freeze up in the midwest this winter as a result of an early blizzard?  I assume that's going to impact.  Hopefully, this is just cyclical and the law of supply of demand will once again take over.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
Yes, because so many cows were slaughtered early there is now a shortage for the near future market.  On that order anyway.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
Just like gas prices, it's always something.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:05:35 AM »
In Canada our dollar is back down to 2009 levels :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »
Just went to the butcher earlier today and even he was talking about how beef prices are soaring. His prices on some things are up a bit too, but not like I'm seeing at some of the grocery stores.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
The EPA raised the ethanol standard this summer meaning even more corn is going to taxpayer subsidized ethanol plants instead of the feed mills so the cost of anything with corn in it, beef included is going to continue to go up, along with to a lesser extent the drought and freeze off out west earlier in the winter.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
Even at the commissary the prices have gone crazy! It use to be the cheapest around and actually
still is, but now we are paying what use to be the "downtown" prices. Crazy cycle!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »
We used to see Tri-Tips on sale out here in California on a regular basis but last year they were few and far between.

Everything is going up but my paycheck. And when I do get a raise it is offset by higher food costs. Enough to make you pull your hair out :'(
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:47:11 AM »
Just like gas prices, it's always something.

Indeed - they always go up due to supply and demand, but never go back down again

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »
The EPA raised the ethanol standard this summer meaning even more corn is going to taxpayer subsidized ethanol plants instead of the feed mills so the cost of anything with corn in it, beef included is going to continue to go up, along with to a lesser extent the drought and freeze off out west earlier in the winter.

This ethanol gas thing confuses me. I am paying more money for gas that is 10% ethanol, but my gas mileage on my two vehicles dropped at least 20-25%. Sod I am buying gas that is 10% ethanol but having to buy 20-25% more gas. Exactly how is this keeping us from buying more foreign oil?

I can understand farmers doing whatever they have to do to stay afloat and how that impacts beef prices. That is pure supply and demand economics.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 02:13:57 PM »
Well, from the other side of this we got half the price for a bushel of corn then we normally would get.  Last year I believe we made $8+ per bushel this year it was right at $4 a bushel  >:( >:( >:(

Corn drops and meat goes up?    Only in America 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
Well, from the other side of this we got half the price for a bushel of corn then we normally would get.  Last year I believe we made $8+ per bushel this year it was right at $4 a bushel  >:( >:( >:(

Corn drops and meat goes up?    Only in America

How much per bushel are the ethanol suppliers paying this year?