Author Topic: Irish Soda Bread Dinner  (Read 910 times)

Offline Saber 4

Irish Soda Bread Dinner
« Reply #-1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »
The wife brought home some Irish Soda Bread from Trader Joe's, never had it before and I don't know how authentic it was. It was a fairly dense moist bread with raisins and fennel or caraway seeds. She thought it would make a good dinner French toast so you know what we had for dinner tonight, I fried up some 10.5 recipe bacon and of course I had to fry the eggs in the hot bacon grease. Over all it was a good meal, more savory than sweet even when served with some real maple syrup. And not a Pea in site :D

Offline Pappymn

Irish Soda Bread Dinner
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:56:39 PM »
It is one of the easiest breads to make. And it is awesome!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Irish Soda Bread Dinner
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
Yea breakfast for dinner is good too!!! Looks good!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:14:51 AM »
Tasty looking plate.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:13 AM »
We have breakfast for dinner quite a bit. Yours looks delicious. Will have to try that bread.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:02:30 AM »
I really like everything on that plate Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »
Nice looking plate Don..will have to make French toast with the loaf I made yesterday. Looks like I'm not the only one who made soda bread yesterday. I made mine with corned beef, cabbage, onion, carrots and potatoes..the bread was better the corned beefs even. This is the easiest recipe to make. I made mine in an 8" cast iron pot in the oven.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

click on pics to enlarge them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
Oh yea...breakfast at supper time in cold weather. We usually have grits and biscuits, but I sure mind trying some of that soda bread.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »
Great looking plate.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
Nice looking plate Don..will have to make French toast with the loaf I made yesterday. Looks like I'm not the only one who made soda bread yesterday. I made mine with corned beef, cabbage, onion, carrots and potatoes..the bread was better the corned beefs even. This is the easiest recipe to make. I made mine in an 8" cast iron pot in the oven.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

click on pics to enlarge them.

Hey Pam, mine was store bought, can you post or send recipe for yours please????

Thanks,
Robert

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:50:01 AM »
Marilyn O'Reilly Irish Soda Bread
Marilyn is the one credited with making up this recipe, don't know how true it is, but here it is. And very easy to make.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons caraway seeds, optional
1 cup raisins
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 400º.  In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt and stir well to mix. Add the butter and rub in until the butter disappears into the dry ingredients. Stir in the caraway seeds if used and the raisins. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together and mix into the dough mixture with a rubber spatula. Turn the dough out on a floured work surface and fold it over on itself several times, shaping it into a round loaf. Transfer the loaf to one cookie sheet or jelly roll pan covered with parchment or foil and cut a cross in the top. Bake for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350º and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes more, until well colored and a toothpick plunged into the center emerges clean.
Cool the soda bread on a rack and serve with plenty of sweet butter and bitter orange marmalade.

Don't omit the caraway seeds. I roast and crush some of mine, but the favor is fantastic.
You might have to cook it a lil longer, I did to a temp of 210º to get it done. Enjoy.

If you have no buttermilk add 1 tbs vinegar or lemon juice to make up a cup of  milk.
Mix dry stuff together then add raisins & caraway seed and then add wet stuff ( egg and buttermilk). mix together and bake.

The Slashes
Soda bread is typically shaped into a flat, round loaf for baking. Like many European yeast breads, the top crust is usually slashed before the loaf goes into the oven. The soda-based dough will rise vigorously in the oven's heat, and slashing the top crust allows it to expand without creating large and unattractive cracks. The slashes can be made in any pattern, from rings to a cross-hatch design, but traditionally the loaf receives two simple slashes that form a cross.

The Symbolism
Like the crosses on the hot-cross buns served at Easter, the cross slashed into the top of a loaf of soda bread has symbolic importance. It was said to ward off the devil, providing a measure of ritual protection for the household. Similar traditions are observed in many parts of the Western world, especially in Catholic or Orthodox regions. Greek holiday breads often have a cross slashed into the loaf or molded on top with strips of extra dough, while in the Canadian province of Newfoundland -- which has a strong Irish tradition -- yeast breads are baked with three buns in each pan, to symbolize the Trinity.

Variations
The most traditional recipes make a very plain soda bread, which usually accompanies the rest of a meal. Elaborate Americanized versions add spices and raisins or currants, and some also include eggs or butter for a softer and more scone-like texture. The loaf can be cut into wedge-shaped quarters for faster baking, which is also traditional in some parts of Ireland. For a more polished appearance, brush the top of the loaf with milk or a beaten egg before slashing it. The crust develops a rich golden color and the slashed areas remain pale, providing a visually striking contrast.

Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:59:03 AM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
Thanks Pam, I'm sure the wife will be wanting me to start making this along with the other breads. :)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »
Thanks Pam,saved the recipe.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
Had my first Irish Soda Bread Sunday with our corned beef and cabbage feast.  Love it!  Thanks for the recipe, Pam  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa