Author Topic: Corned Beef Question  (Read 1168 times)

Offline RAD

Corned Beef Question
« Reply #-1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »
For years I’ve cooked corned beef in my crock pot. How do you cook your corned beef? I would really like to try something different.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Corned Beef Question
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
I've done mine in a pressure cooker many times, not too bad but I'm looking for something new too. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »
Tomorrow I'm going to smoke mine on the Traeger. We found whole brisket corned beef at Costco. We'll then do homemade bread and then make Reuben sandwiches. Certainly not traditional, but my wife loves the plan.

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
We did not bake home made bread, but used the small Costco loaves (in the 6-pack) for the sandwiches, which turned out well.

Set the Traeger at 275F, and the brisket was taken to an internal temperature of 200F (took a few hours)

Sliced up a small pile - enough for two sandwiches

Warmed the bread @ 350F, then halved, and hollowed each leaving only the crispy crust.  Piled the beef high, topped with horseradish/mayonnaise/mustard in one half.  Smoked Gouda in the other half, then back into the oven to melt the cheese.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:27:15 AM »
Nice.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:32:19 AM »
That CB sandwich looks great.   ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 02:17:52 AM »
Glad to see you are still cookin pz!!! CB and sandwich looks good!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:21 AM »
Now that is what I'm talking about.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:18:49 AM »
I have used the crock pot, the oven, on the ceramic grill in a cast iron Dutch Oven and also in the Sous-Vide. They all came out great!

The grill cooked corned beef

Trimmed most of the fat off a nice Mosey's Corned Beef Flat and seasoned with garlic and black pepper. Seared both side on the Oval and then into the Dutch Oven with water, beer, the seasoning packet from the CB and some more garlic.

After about 4 hours the veggies went in.....just new taters, onions and baby carrots, a little more liquid, covered and cooked for another couple hours.

PDG, if I say so meself.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline spuds

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
Very nice plate Rummm
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
I like all the ways that have been posted. For years, I did the same as you by using the crock pot and this method has always proved successful. Just recently, about 2 weeks ago, I purchased a "flat" corned beef and prepared a rub of coriander and black pepper plus a couple of other spices and smoked it in the Yoder in order to see if I could make pastrami. I placed the flat into the Yoder at 225 degrees and slow cooked it as I would to any brisket that I had prepared except that I did not pre-marinate since the corned beef has a solution of 35 per cent already in it. I removed this corned beef/brisket at 205 degrees as I usually do. I placed this into the fridge after it cooled down and stored it over night. The next day I removed it from the fridge and sliced it when it was cold and then warmed it up in the microwave after I put a couple of tablespoons of water on the plate to create steam and covered with glad press n seal. Then the pastrami was served.

That's homemade rye bread that I made for the first time with caraway seeds. Good Stuff. Had that last night with the traditional corn beef which we had for dinner.

Got another flat in the freezer for another pastrami down the road since the price was very reasonable.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »
Nice Ed

You folks are the corn beef / pastrami Kings of the World here.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »
I do smoked and cooked corn beef .
i love both .

The smoked one is great for sammis

The cooked one is great for sammis and hash brown

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
OMG This thread is making me hungry every time I read it.  Great looking CB and Pastrami.   ;)
----------------------

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
Today I made one of the most goodest corned beef and cabbage dinners we have had using a recipe from Cook's Country.
Take and trim corned beef.
Put 4 cups of chicken broth and 4 cups of water in a dutch oven.
Add one roughly chopped in quartered onion, some sliced carrots, and a few ribs of sliced celery.
Add spice packet.
Add corned beef.
Cover and cook in 300*oven for 4 1/2- 5 hours until tender.
Take beef and set in a dish and keep warm.
Drain vegetables and liquid through fine mess strainer and retain the liquid.  Disgard solids. Or if you're like my wife save them for something to eat later.
Return liquid to Dutch Oven on stove top.
Put in a half stick of butter.
Add some chopped potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, and chopped cabbage.  Season with salt and pepper and  bring to boil and simmer  until vegetables are tender about 20 minutes.
I added the beef back in for the last four or five minutes to reheat.
Place beef in serving dish and surround with vegetables.

That's about it. I had a four pound piece of corned beef and did not have any left overs with only three of us.  Carole wants me to go get another one tomorrow and cook it because she like this so much.

Dee

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers