Author Topic: Yoder YS480 or Blazin' Grill?  (Read 11911 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Yoder YS480 or Blazin' Grill?
« Reply #-1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:15:54 AM »
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the site and new to pellet smokers. I am on the verge of purchasing my first pellet smoker. There are limited dealers with limited assortments in Washington and all I have really been able to look at is the Traeger line and GMG. I am looking for a heavier grill and want to support our good ole' USA manufacturers. From the research I have done on the web I think I have narrowed it down to either the Yoder YS480 or the Blazin Grill. I have limited space so I need to stay with a smaller smoker.  I have not seen much info on the YS480 other than the Yoder web site. From what I can tell the only difference I can see to the YS640 is the adjustable baffle.

My goals are to make AWESOME ribs, brisket, salmon, steelhead, and pulled pork.

I have a Weber Summit to grill and sear steak so I am really looking for a solid pellet smoker.

Any information is appreciated

THANKS!!!!!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Yoder YS480 or Blazin' Grill?
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »
While they will both serve you well -have you also looked at the MAK 1 Star ? It is made in Oregon - and MAK will not even buy screws made in China!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:14:41 AM »
While the Yoder YS480 is solid and the Blazin Grill is awesome, if you threw all the pellet grill manufacturers in a room and let them slug it out, Mak would come out on top. Mak is at the top of the food chain in the pellet grill world.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »
I do not know much about the MAK except that it is American made and the company and the product have a fine indisputable reputation. But, I do know about Yoder as I currently own three of their products. Yoder is American Made. Yoder builds strong sturdy products that will live a lifetime and then have to be willed to your survivor. I have cooked just about everything on the Yoders with great success and on the big one, a half of a cow in a variety of cuts.

Do not be diluted by the mine is better syndrome. This means that there are really several great solutions that folks will present that will meet your needs. Do your research; accumulate your data; formulate your information; and make your own decision.

Remember: opinions are like aholes; everyone has one.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:27:01 AM »
Well first off your two choices are mighty fine. Can't go wrong with either of those choices. The MAK is a great choice also. I am partial to Memphis because I own one and IMHO it lives up to the "Grill" in pellet grill due to it's insulated design and high temp range.

The first suggestion I can make is that if you get a chance try and visit a dealer to check one out in person. And even better get a chance to cook on one.

You are going to get many different opinions on which grill is best and the final decision will be your's alone.

Consider how much pellets cost in your area. If your grill is a pellet hog then those costs should be considered. Hands down the Memphis has the lowest pellet consumption of any grill out there. I have personally had winter time overnight cooks that used less than 1lb an hour at 225F. Some grills cannot get under 1lb an hour at any temp anytime of the year. If you have access to an abundant amount of pellets for cheap than that will be less of an issue for you.

Also heavy gauge steel is great for durability but not so great for pellet consumption. There is a lot of heat loss trying to get all that steel warm and then when the cold wind travels across that metal the heat loss can be tremendous. So you might want to add the cost of a insulated cover for winter cooks when buying a non insulated grill.

Size can be important. Getting a grill that is too small to suit your needs might not be a good idea. There are times the larger capacity will come in handy. The MAK is really nice because of the large domed lid allowing more room for butts and whole birds. Higher capacity will save you money because you can get more food cooked using slightly more pellets.

The controller is important to keep consistent temps and create smoke. Both the Memphis and MAK have high tech controllers. The MAK surpasses in this category with the Pellet Boss.

And materials can be an issue. Powder coating will peel and bubble if over heated and will degrade over time. The Memphis is all stainless. I mean ALL stainless. I have no worries about rusting issues and mine when cleaned looks almost as good as the day it was delivered to my home.

So do your research and if you have more questions just ask and we will all be able to confuse you more on what to buy ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
Some excellent advice here already.  Take you time and study the various units via the websites of the manufacturers.  I love my Memphis (American made, super accurate controller, well insulated, great space utilization, top notch customer service).  I also love my new old stock American made Traeger Texas.  It isn't state of the art like the Memphis, but it does what it was designed to do very well.  If you can find one (look for hardware store close-outs or on Craigs List for gently used ones) consider it because they are often a bargain.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »
While they will both serve you well -have you also looked at the MAK 1 Star ? It is made in Oregon - and MAK will not even buy screws made in China!

Thanks for the info.  I have looked at the MAK but it is just North of what I want to spend
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 03:35:56 PM »
Some excellent advice here already.  Take you time and study the various units via the websites of the manufacturers.  I love my Memphis (American made, super accurate controller, well insulated, great space utilization, top notch customer service).  I also love my new old stock American made Traeger Texas.  It isn't state of the art like the Memphis, but it does what it was designed to do very well.  If you can find one (look for hardware store close-outs or on Craigs List for gently used ones) consider it because they are often a bargain.

Hub

Hi Hub - Thanks!  I searched high and low for an old stock American made Texas - I even called traeger about a year ago to see if they could find one in stock and nothing was available.  I am new to this site and still working on navigating - how can I get to your posts about the pellet cookers?  Thanks
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »
Checkout the "Burn It in the Backyard" forum section, near the top of the Index page. That is Hub's.  He has a lot of great threads in there, including the pellet grill threads.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Yoder YS480 or Blazin' Grill?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »
How about Rec Tec? Looks like a great pooper.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »
The Rec Tec - while not built here...*IS* an American company. And - several here can attest to their performance. Warranty is great. Customer support is great. And the price is really great - considering the build quality and features for the dollar!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 01:21:27 AM »
mak.   ;)  but if I were to pick between the two I would get the yoder.  I just like them.  I have heard they like to eat pellets but don't know that for a fact.  i myself like the Memphis advantage if i were to get another pellet grill.  would be great for the cabin w/ the double  walled top and bottom and overlapping edges. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »
The Rec Tec - while not built here...*IS* an American company. And - several here can attest to their performance. Warranty is great. Customer support is great. And the price is really great - considering the build quality and features for the dollar!

I can attest to the quality and performance of the Rec Tec. I don't own one but did several cooks
on them this past year at the Gathering. I own the Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron which I really love. It is
a good quality cooking machine and also made in the USA.  If I had to do it all over again, I would buy
the same one again. I looked at all the major players in the pellet game and though they are excellent I
bought what fit my needs and budget.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »
- how can I get to your posts about the pellet cookers?  Thanks

Here's the first one:  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2641.0

There are two "pellet basics" posts in my "Burn It In The Back Yard" section on the Letstalkbbq.com home page.  You're welcome to PM me if I may be of assistance, too.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 08:51:37 PM »
Well thanks for the great info everyone. I pulled the trigger today (but not the Traeger) and ordered up a Blazin' Grand Slam with the pro series controller and an insulated hood. After all of the research I decided I liked the design of the Grand Slam better than the YS480 and the upper shelf was included. I also liked the idea of the burn pot being in the center of the grill and liked the EZ cleanout feature on the Grand Slam. I can't wait to try it out. I will post back and let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks again everybody I appreciate the insights!!!!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit