Author Topic: Buying Tires  (Read 625 times)

Offline Pappymn

Buying Tires
« Reply #-1 on: April 03, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »
Wife's minivan has 68,000 miles on its original tires. Felt nervous having her drive my precious cargo (kids) around everywhere.

So I went to Costco because I trust them and the tires are fairly priced.

So the technician does an inspection and says all my tire sensors (TPMS) are shot. Explains why the low on air light is always on ???    So our exchange goes like this.

Costco: You need new tire pressure sensors.

Me: How much are they?

Costco: $45 a wheel, or $180 plus tax. Way cheaper then at a dealership.

Me: Ouch.  What exactly does this sensor do?

Costco: Alerts you when your tire pressure is low.

Me: I have a $2 tire gauge that does the same thing.....think I will pass.

Costco: Technically since 2008 these are mandatory on all cars. But I guess I can't make you buy them.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Buying Tires
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
Hang on.  Health care insurance started this way, I think.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
No kidding.  Just spent $1100 on tires for my f-150. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »
Yep, spent 900 for new tires for my Nitro, plus $10.00 each tire to rebuild the stupid TPMS. Of course
I have 20 inch tires on my Dodge which could explain the 900 bucks.  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 11:27:46 PM »
The TPMS all started due to the government mandating it. I can tell you those things are not accurate.

Your better off with a $2 pressure gauge. How did we all get along on the road before there were these sensors? ::)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:45:22 PM »
When it comes to replacing tires on my F-350 Super Duty (Dually) it takes a second mortgage.   ???
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 03:22:45 AM »
I ran my summer rubber (19") all winter on my coupe to avoid having to buy tires.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »
I work in the automotive industry and luckily I get great deals on anything I ever need for my F150 and my wifes Caravan. All these new gadgets on cars are just more things that can and will break.. big money maker for the car companies. I have divisions of my comapny all over the States, so next time any of you need something for one of your cars shoot me a PM and I will see what kind of deal I can hook you up with!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »
Y'all don't know half of the story,  I work for a Honda/Acura dealer and we deal with these everyday.   

Folks that use instant tire sealant ruin them because the sealer enters the sensors causing it to become useless

Folks that don't understand that cold weather effects tire pressures.  For every 10 degrees drop in temp there is a one pound drop in PSI   so if your tire was set to 32 psi on a 60 degree day and the temp drops to 19 at night then your looking at a possible loss of 4 degrees and that dang tire light being on cause they come on at 28 psi   

Reason tires need to be set when cold or do like we do and set them 2 psi higher then the cold setting.   When a car is driven the tires can climb as much as 4 psi due to the heat. 

A cold tire is one that has not been driven more that one to two miles
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »
Honda/Acura service note to tech's  November 2012

Why using NITROGEN in tires ain't all that great

Just search the internet, and you’ll find plenty of info on filling tires with nitrogen. But when it comes to
filling automobile tires, we recommend only one thing: dry, compressed air.
Filling tires with nitrogen really isn’t anything new; it’s been around a long time. It’s commonly used in
commercial and government aircraft and vehicles, and even motorsport vehicles. To meet rigid safety and
performance specs, the required tire inflation pressures are often very high, especially in the aerospace
industry. The space shuttle’s tires, for instance, were filled to 315 psi!
Here’s what makes nitrogen ideal for these applications:
• Nitrogen is an inert gas; it doesn’t burn or oxidize.
• The compression process for nitrogen removes moisture, so it’s a dry gas. Since it’s dry, it has no
moisture to contribute extra pressure changes with temperature. Water vapor can expand if the
temperature climbs above 212° F.
• Tires filled with nitrogen leak more slowly over time than those filled with compressed air.
But automobile tires are subjected to an entirely different set of conditions. Here’s why we say no to
nitrogen:
• Nitrogen generators produce nitrogen gas from ambient air, but it’s at something less than 100 percent
purity. To get just that same level of purity into a tire, you’d have to deflate and fill it several times to
purge the remaining air. And if you don’t do that, the purity level drops even more. Compressed air is
already about 78 percent nitrogen.
• Although tires filled with nitrogen leak more slowly over time than those with compressed air, they still
leak. If you can’t find a place that offers nitrogen, your only option is to fill with compressed air, which,
as we’ve said, drops the nitrogen purity.
• Nitrogen doesn’t offer any better protection than compressed air against cuts and punctures from road
hazards. So no matter what you fill the tires with, you’ve still got to check their condition and pressures
at least once a month, as we clearly state in the owner’s manual. And on vehicles with TPMS, filling
the tires with nitrogen won’t reduce the frequency of the low tire pressure indicator coming on in cold
weather.
• Tires filled with compressed air and properly maintained offer the same fuel efficiency and
performance as those filled with nitrogen.
So here’s the bottom line: Although nitrogen offers certain advantages for commercial, government, and
motorsport applications, for automobile tires you’re better off with dry, compressed air.

Just thought y'all might ask about nitrogen
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »
Costco fills all their tires with Nitrogen. Bright neon green caps are installed per DOT regulations.

Thanks for the info Tommy.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven