Author Topic: Forum design topic for discussion  (Read 945 times)

Offline Sailor1

Forum design topic for discussion
« Reply #-1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
Perhaps I am being a bit selfish and only thinking of myself and if so I do want to beg for forgiveness.  I would venture to say that the majority of the members are not sausage makers and the Charcuterie & Cold-Smoking section on the forum is something that they never open to read. Here is the selfish and self centered part...... ;D When I log on the first thing I do is to scroll way way way down to is the Charcuterie & Cold-Smoking section, then I scroll way way way back up to the General topics section.  Then I meander down the board and read the other sections that have new postings. It is not such a big problem when I am on my iMac and I can wind up my hand and give the touch pad a good swipe and the screen blasts down to the bottom of the board so I can read about who is making what sausage and how they are doing it.  Then I can do a reverse wind up and hit the touch pad and zoom back up to the top of the board.  However, when using my iPhone my fingers get phone cramps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling to get to the bottom and then back up.  Yes, I know I am only thinking of myself  ;D

Now to a technical point.  I am just a poor old country boy that don't know how to act in a big city.  Yes that is a original quote from Sailor  ;D  At any rate I was brought up that things in hog casings was "sausage".  Patties that were ground up from hogs was also called "sausage".  If is looks like sausage and feels like sausage and taste like sausage ..... Hog Dang .....It's just got to be sausage.  What the heck is this Charcuterie stuff anyway?  Up till a few years ago I never heard of the word let alone knowing what it means.  Then I get to reading forums and folks tossing out the term Charcuterie this and Charcuterie that and I figure they were talking about some sort of fancy smancy French sausage.  I shrug my shoulders and figure that I have been living a pretty sheltered life and I need to find some Charcuterie to taste it to see what the heck all the fuss is about.  I go digging thru the computer dictionary today to find out what Charcuterie really is.  char·cu·ter·ie (noun) noun, plural char·cu·te·ries  [shahr-koo-tuh-reez, shahr-koo-tuh-reez; French shar-kytuh-ree] Show IPA (in France)
1. a store where pork products, as hams, sausages, and pâtés are sold.
2. the items sold in such a store.

Well paint me red and call me a barn!  Charcuterie is a place where they sell them sausages.  Hog Dang how bout that?  So then I go to that there wikipedia site and they say this about that:

Charcuterie (/ʃɑrˌkuːtəˈriː/ or /ʃɑrˈkuːtəri/; northern French: [ʃaʁkytˈʁi] or southern French: [ʃaʁkytəˈʁi], from chair 'flesh' and cuit 'cooked') is the branch of cooking devoted to prepared meat products, such as bacon, ham, sausage, terrines, galantines, pâtés, and confit, primarily from pork.[1] Charcuterie is part of the garde manger chef's repertoire. Originally intended as a way to preserve meat before the advent of refrigeration, they are prepared today for their flavors derived from the preservation processes.[2]

I don't think I can pronounce Charcuterie correctly even with all that dictionary stuff.  And what in good green earth is terrines, galantines, pâtés, and confit?  Recon that is some fancy summer sausage stuff?

Don't ya all think that is a pretty fancy smanchy talk for "sausage"?  How many folks out there ever heard that fancy talk about sausage and want to even open up the topic to read about it let alone even find the topic way way way down at the bottom like we are even afraid to bring up sausage making and stick it in the basement hoping the neighbors don't find out what we are a doin.  ;D

At any rate I am wondering if the powers that be would consider moving the Charcuterie & Cold-Smoking section up toward the top?  Maybe even considering dropping that fancy smancy word and just talk plain old country and call it Sausage Making and Meat Curing.  Maybe this would get some more members interested in sausage making as they would be able to find the section.

As Forest Gump would say.  "That's all I got to say about that"

What do ya all think?

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Forum design topic for discussion
« on: April 26, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
Sailor, this is a great topic for a weekend discussion.

I have to admit I am at fault as I always scroll down to the bottom and read the new posts. I only go into the other sections when I am looking for a idea for when I am wanting to try something new. I will try to spend more time in the different areas of this site as they have a lot of great ideas and cooking techniques to offer.

Sausage is on my bucket list just not at this time. Hopefully sometime this summer.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:51:19 AM »
Good topic Sailor! The first thing I do when I log in is go to: "Show unread posts since last visit". This brings up all the
topics that either I haven't seen or someone posted something new.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

Forum design topic for discussion
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »
Tee knows a lot of fancy words. My guess is that is where the word came from ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »
Good topic Sailor! The first thing I do when I log in is go to: "Show unread posts since last visit". This brings up all the
Not sure the benefit of moving things. As HoS says, all you have to do is click on the unread post link and all the ones you haven't read show up. So unless you want to post or look up an old thread, there is no need to scroll.
As far as changing the name, I would vote for that if I was asked.

Just my humble view.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »

X2....

Honestly, the only time I look at the sections is when I am creating a new topic, such as the pulled beef post. And then it was the question: Pellet cookers, beef, MAK, general....

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 02:11:30 PM »
Good post Jim, I don't like that charcuterie word personally. I thought Charcuteries were mini charcoal briquettes invented by the government to make us feel like we were getting more for our buck :)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »
I think Tee has it all laid out pretty good now, all you have to do is learn how to navigate. If you read the few words after Charcuterie I think it sums up that category pretty well!  :D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »
I have a Niece who should have been born in the 60's and lived in a commune.  She now lives with her husband and family on Beaver Island in Lake Michigan.  She raises all her animals to provide her with fresh eggs, meat, and goats milk.  I asked her about making sausage and she recommended that I buy a book on Charcuterie.  I got it and did not get much information that helped me with sausage making.  I learned more about sausage making on this forum and the Brining 101 post provided the best details ever.  I think you should keep it simple and keep the French out of it.  Sausage making in its simplest terms sound good to me.  She also sells heirloom seeds through the internet.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 03:14:20 PM »

X2....

Honestly, the only time I look at the sections is when I am creating a new topic, such as the pulled beef post. And then it was the question: Pellet cookers, beef, MAK, general....

Same here.  I view everything new regardless of sub section and only option a section to create a post in it.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 04:59:18 PM »
No opinion,either works for me.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
No opinion,either works for me.

X2  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline CANNON-MAN

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »
Jim
Well said. I look at it this way. When I first took a look at this forum I went looking for the sausage making part. Sausage making is my greatest interest. I was disappointed to find it at almost the very bottom and labeled in such a way that it was rather hard to understand. Now I know that all here are not just interested in sausage making. But I feel that people that happen to look this forum over and are like myself and looking for information on sausage will just leave and not look again. It doesn't have be moved to the top but give it equal billing, and name it in a simple to understand form. Like [sausage making and cured meats]
KC

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »
As for me, I always just go straight to where it  says "show unread posts since last visit" and read all of them. That way I get to read about all the subject lines, even the ones that I that don't  use myself. I learn all sorts of neat stuff.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »
As for me, I always just go straight to where it  says "show unread posts since last visit" and read all of them. That way I get to read about all the subject lines, even the ones that I that don't  use myself. I learn all sorts of neat stuff.

I am with you, Ken!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #