Author Topic: 2014 Stanley Cup Ticket Prices  (Read 1986 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
2014 Stanley Cup Ticket Prices
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »
I haven't been to a Stanley Cup final series since 1991 when the Penguins rather thoroughly thumped the Minnesota Stars.  Free agency has caused so much player movement that players often moved to my favorite team from teams I disliked.  So I feel as though now I'm simply rooting for the sweater (the hockey uniform shirt is not a jersey, it's a sweater).

But this year my favorite team, the New York Rangers, have made the finals.  Games 3, 4 and 6 will be Rangers home games.  I thought, "Gee, I think I'll go."

Then I found out that individual tickets will average $2,500 for each game.  "Gee, I think I'll watch it on TV."
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: 2014 Stanley Cup Ticket Prices
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »
$2500 will buy a lot of BBQ equipment!

You made the right decision Paul ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »
That is the Minnesota North Stars :(

My favorite team of my youth. Hockey used to be a very affordable night.......

TV is the right call.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:01:50 PM »

Yeah, you're right.  It was later that Norm Green dropped the word North from the name. 

One night I had a conversation with him about his trying to pay the high salaries quality players were commanding (he needed them in order to get back to Stanley Cup contention) and balancing that against the ticket prices he had to maintain. 

He had a good grasp of the fans' willingness to pay levels and felt that he couldn't afford the necessary talent because he couldn't raise ticket prices adequately.  He told me that he didn't own the team so he could lose millions of dollars a year and that he thought that it would be impossible for his future teams to make the final round.

Later, I couldn't figure out why he dropped the North from the name.  It was a great name and one of the NHL's best logos (Blackhawks is best).  He soon moved to Dallas.  Oh, that's why they weren't the North Stars.  So he could move them.  Dumb me!
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
Paul,the owners of professional sports teams have steadily (for years) been disenfranchising the fanbase from the team. It has all been for the corporate bucks.
But I will say this, pro hockey was the last of the big pro sports to do this. It is sad. We grew up rooting for "our" team(s), win or lose. With free agency, you are correct, we now root for the jersey/sweater. It was ALL regional, now the majority flip-flop to be fans of whoever wins!  I am still a fan of my regional teams, I just am not as avid as I once was.

By the way, I'd love to see your Rangers face my Blackhawks!  We'll see what tomorrow night brings.  8)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »

Yeah, you're right.  It was later that Norm Green dropped the word North from the name. 

One night I had a conversation with him about his trying to pay the high salaries quality players were commanding (he needed them in order to get back to Stanley Cup contention) and balancing that against the ticket prices he had to maintain. 

He had a good grasp of the fans' willingness to pay levels and felt that he couldn't afford the necessary talent because he couldn't raise ticket prices adequately.  He told me that he didn't own the team so he could lose millions of dollars a year and that he thought that it would be impossible for his future teams to make the final round.

Later, I couldn't figure out why he dropped the North from the name.  It was a great name and one of the NHL's best logos (Blackhawks is best).  He soon moved to Dallas.  Oh, that's why they weren't the North Stars.  So he could move them.  Dumb me!

He got caught diddling at the office and moved the team in a temper tantrum. Still hated in these parts.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
Then I found out that individual tickets will average $2,500 for each game.  "Gee, I think I'll watch it on TV."

I don't have any tickets, but I do have a reserved seat at all the Stanley Cup games (from my perspective, hopefully only 4 games) and they actually pay me to sit in it......And I get to watch it on TV. Yippee. I'm on my way to Chicago for tomorrow evening's last conference final. Yippee.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »

I don't have any tickets, but I do have a reserved seat at all the Stanley Cup games (from my perspective, hopefully only 4 games) and they actually pay me to sit in it......And I get to watch it on TV. Yippee. I'm on my way to Chicago for tomorrow evening's last conference final. Yippee.
Have fun Don!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »
Is hockey a sport  ::)
( grew up in Mississippi )
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »
Is hockey a sport  ::)
( grew up in Mississippi )

Grew up in Lousiana, never heard of hockey, went to my first ever hockey game in Las Vegas, Yeah in the desert.  ::)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:24:35 PM »
Go maple leafs.  My buddy aren loves that team so I cheer them on.  My wife likes the sharks (they are from our home town).   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 11:33:50 PM »
Gosh, I'm glad I am not a major hockey fan... Super Bowl tickets are SOOOOO much cheaper...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:53 PM »
Ticket prices don't matter much while at home watching with cold brew, ABT's, and who knows what else from the grill!  8) :P

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 12:00:24 AM »
Ticket prices don't matter much while at home watching with cold brew, ABT's, and who knows what else from the grill!  8) :P
Perfect - you are so right, Gene....
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 02:54:38 AM »

Not to mention that a hot dog and a cold beer is about 10 times cheaper at home....and you get to see more of the game.