Author Topic: Sous Vide Alaskan Salmon & Yellow Fin Tuna  (Read 2250 times)

Offline pz

Re: Sous Vide Alaskan Salmon & Yellow Fin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 12:10:58 AM »
The tuna looks great, but the salmon is to die for!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 12:13:39 AM »
The tuna looks great, but the salmon is to die for!

X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline KyNola

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »
I have never cooked anything Sous Vide so I am 90% ignorant of the application.  The fish in this thread was cooked in water with a temperature that was stable at 109 degrees.  Wouldn't that mean the internal temperature of the fish could not exceed 109 degrees?  Is there no danger of bacteria forming in that environment?  Am I incorrect that the internal temperature cannot exceed 109?

I'm not being critical of anything or anyone nor am I a member of the " Safe Food Temperature" Police by any stretch but an internal temperature of 109 for fish seems too low even for me.  I like medium rare salmon just as I like medium rare beef but I'm not going to eat 109 degree beef either. 

Someone help me to understand please.  Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »
I have never cooked anything Sous Vide so I am 90% ignorant of the application.  The fish in this thread was cooked in water with a temperature that was stable at 109 degrees.  Wouldn't that mean the internal temperature of the fish could not exceed 109 degrees?  Is there no danger of bacteria forming in that environment?  Am I incorrect that the internal temperature cannot exceed 109?

I'm not being critical of anything or anyone nor am I a member of the " Safe Food Temperature" Police by any stretch but an internal temperature of 109 for fish seems too low even for me.  I like medium rare salmon just as I like medium rare beef but I'm not going to eat 109 degree beef either. 

He stated in an earlier post in this thread that it was sushi grade fish which can safely be eaten raw.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
Staying tuned... this might be the one that gets me to pull the trigger...
Its time Doc.

Spuds,
I think you are right my friend...
Now just gotta choose the "right" way to go.

The "right" way to go is the one that fits your budget and you are comfortable with.  I like my Anova others are pleased with the Dorkfood, both have proven to put out some fantastic meals.   Like what was stated in another thread, the food doesn't know which device is being used.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
----------------------

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »

Kynola the fish was sushi grade so it is safe to be eaten raw. That is why I went with 109F

Otherwise I would have went between 118F to 125F.

Fish does not need to be cooked at as high of temps of beef.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline KyNola

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »

He stated in an earlier post in this thread that it was sushi grade fish which can safely be eaten raw.  ;)
I eat raw sushi and raw beef and tuna tartare and have no problem doing so because it has been kept under proper refrigeration until service.  The question I have is the low cooking temperature and the environment for potential bacterial growth.

Sorry to have intruded.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »

I eat raw sushi and raw beef and tuna tartare and have no problem doing so because it has been kept under proper refrigeration until service.  The question I have is the low cooking temperature and the environment for potential bacterial growth.

Sorry to have intruded.

It's NO intrusion. It is an interesting question. As we learn this technique there will be many questions - I know I have a lot.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:43:14 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »
Fish meant for raw consumption is hard frozen to kill parasites.
Sous vide seafood is usually cooked for a short time ( less than an hour) no different than letting a steak sit at room temp for a short while before grilling.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 03:44:51 PM »

Sorry to have intruded.

No intrusion here. The difference that I had besides the fish being sushi grade is that they were placed in the cold water frozen. Then they came up to temperature with the water. They were actually only being cooked for a short time. The rest of the time was defrosting. Just quicker than leaving the fish out on the counter to thaw.

If they were already thawed it would be only a 30 minute bath. And non sushi grade would be a higher temperature bath.

They also got a quick sear at the end and that cooked them a little more. Gave then a really nice crust ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline KyNola

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »
I'll yield to you guys because as I said earlier I don't have the knowledge that you folks have about the topic of Sous Vide.  I'll try to learn by reading your experiences and won't question further.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 12:40:01 AM »
I'll yield to you guys because as I said earlier I don't have the knowledge that you folks have about the topic of Sous Vide.  I'll try to learn by reading your experiences and won't question further.

Please question us, we find that when we answer questions we teach others and learn more ourselves.   ;)
----------------------