Author Topic: Fire Pit cooking  (Read 1046 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Fire Pit cooking
« Reply #-1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:53:31 AM »
I'm doing an article on fire pit cooking... anyone have advice?

Thanks!

Mike
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Fire Pit cooking
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »
HHmmmm..fire pit cooking..is that like cooking over an open fire? I have done it for 35 years.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »
I use a deep cast iron frying pan, and a dutch oven.   Also put a grate on some rocks over some hot coals to grill.  I like you use some oak twigs, when I do that.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »
I used to cook on a grill over a rock pit with finger sized sticks found in the desert,cooked in roaring flaming fire.Only took a few minutes to do a steak.Beautiful bark and juiciness.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:04:42 AM »
A good old buddy of mine back in Arizona was famous for his steaks over a fire pit in his yard.  He would spend at least 2-3 hours getting the fire in the pit just right while telling war stories and consuming adult beverages.  Then the grate was placed over the pit and the steaks were grilled to perfection, some of the best steak dinners we have ever had was at his house out in the middle of the Arizona desert.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »
A good old buddy of mine back in Arizona was famous for his steaks over a fire pit in his yard.  He would spend at least 2-3 hours getting the fire in the pit just right while telling war stories and consuming adult beverages.  Then the grate was placed over the pit and the steaks were grilled to perfection, some of the best steak dinners we have ever had was at his house out in the middle of the Arizona desert.

Wish you could get him on the forum. Like to see some pics of his set-up........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:44:10 AM »
When camping over an open fire..the grate was a bread rack..they are hard to come  by now..they are all plastic..still use it today.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 11:58:47 AM »

Wish you could get him on the forum. Like to see some pics of his set-up........

I wish I could too, but we would have to resurrect him from his final resting place.  He went to BBQ Heaven many years ago but the memories of his steak cookouts at his house still live on.   ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 04:04:55 PM »
Years ago I used to frequent a steakhouse in the Arizona desert where they grilled steaks over a mesquite fire.  The grates spun on a pivot in the center so they could adjust the placement for "zones" of relative heat.  I watched the chef for about an hour.  He was cooking about twenty at a time, all of varying thicknesses, types, and to customer chosen degrees of doneness.  I ordered a 24 oz. Porterhouse, medium.  It came out perfectly cooked!  In addition to that pivoting grill, I decided that the greatest factor was the acquired skill of the chef in using it.

Too many years have passed for me to remember the name of the name of the place, but a little research might turn it up -- as I recall it was about 35 miles from Phoenix.

hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
Years ago I used to frequent a steakhouse in the Arizona desert where they grilled steaks over a mesquite fire.  The grates spun on a pivot in the center so they could adjust the placement for "zones" of relative heat.  I watched the chef for about an hour.  He was cooking about twenty at a time, all of varying thicknesses, types, and to customer chosen degrees of doneness.  I ordered a 24 oz. Porterhouse, medium.  It came out perfectly cooked!  In addition to that pivoting grill, I decided that the greatest factor was the acquired skill of the chef in using it.

Too many years have passed for me to remember the name of the name of the place, but a little research might turn it up -- as I recall it was about 35 miles from Phoenix.

hub

If it was North of Phoenix that sounds like Crazy Ed's or else it could have been Pinnacle Peak.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:03:02 PM by Las Vegan Cajun »
----------------------

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »
I guess I was unclear. I'm not cooking on an open fire... been there, done that! I recently obtained a Camp Chef Del Rio fire pit that is propane fueled. And I got a tripod to suspend a cooking grate.

My question was how high above the pit to get a good cooking temperatures for burgers, steaks, veggies, etc. I know the height of the grill will dictate the temperature but was wondering if anyone had any more accurate suggestions. I'm also thinking using cast iron to do some cooking (skillets and Dutch ovens).

Thanks guys (and girls)!
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)