Author Topic: CharBroil forum closing  (Read 9985 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: CharBroil forum closing
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 06:56:03 PM »
What is Facebook?  Can I post my pictures there?  Dee
This is the best post of the day ::)

Gotta love the humor around this place.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »
Cut my teeth on that forum a few years back.   Got a LOT out of it--in fact, was persuaded to buy my SRG.  It bothers me even more that CharBroil doesn't think it's worth the effort to keep it going and figure out what to do about the spam.   That's what drove me here, but I still check it quite often.     :(

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »
Really a sad day  :(  but by the same token you knew deep down it was going to happen. 

I was one of the first members to join and loved the site as much as anyone but I had to draw a line somewhere when it fell apart the way it did.   I will say I have met some of the best folks out there on that site and that in itself was worth the $$$$ of admission.   I mean where in the world can you meet someone like Pam?  Her sausage and gravy is worth the 6 hour drive to Augusta and Dee, those photos of all the great cooks just leaves one speechless.

There are so many people that made a big difference over there and now we are HERE!  The info may or may not be lost but the friendships will last a lifetime! 

Be thankful to Tim for starting this forum so we would have a place to go and share.

The CharBroil site may be going but the people are still going strong!         

To CB, thanks for bringing all of us together
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 07:40:51 PM »
I think I will raise a glass of Washington State wine in The forums memory on the tenth!

Great idea!  I think I'll sit on the deck and do just that, too.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline hikerman

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »
 It is a sad day. I gained a lot of info on infra-red cooking that I may not have elsewhere. I also met quite a few wonderful folks there that I probably wouldn't have elsewhere. There was a lot of sharing and caring, until Barry was let go. He was/is a true gentleman! Lastly I want to thank Tommy for inviting me to this site, where the sharing and caring goes on as-a-matter-of-fact! Tim has made a great yard for ALL of us to play in, and just so you know, I'm not leaving! I like it too much!  8)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »
It is a sad day. I gained a lot of info on infra-red cooking that I may not have elsewhere. I also met quite a few wonderful folks there that I probably wouldn't have elsewhere. There was a lot of sharing and caring, until Barry was let go. He was/is a true gentleman! Lastly I want to thank Tommy for inviting me to this site, where the sharing and caring goes on as-a-matter-of-fact! Tim has made a great yard for ALL of us to play in, and just so you know, I'm not leaving! I like it too much!  8)
I'm just thankful I had a place to invite you and the others that came over!  ;) ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »
I will always be grateful and thankful for Sizzle on the  Grill forum no matter how sadly its demise.  Without it I would never have met any of y'all here and some on there who did not come over to join us here.

My wife is the one who's responsible for getting me in IR cooking and ending up here.  It was my birthday, Father's Day or something like that and she had asked me what I wanted for a present and I told her I wanted an electric smoker by MasterBuilt.  As with most of things, she failed to follow my instructions and thankfully she did. When she was in the store one of the salesmen show her the infared cooker known as The Big Easy and she bought it instead.  That was the start and shortly afterward I joined Sizzle on the Grill and of course the rest is history.

I thank SOTG for bringing me together with you and I'll continue to cherish that. 

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline hikerman

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Nice story Dee!

Sadly, this is kinda like a funeral of sorts. Lets all just remember the good over at SOTG!  And there was a lot of good friendships made there and continuing on here!

Offline grossie

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 08:31:15 PM »
well, i don't think it has all of the site archived, but I was able to find quite a bit by using web.archive.org

I'm going to miss it. I got to know most of you over on the Charbroil forums, and I learned almost everything I know over there. It will be a sad day.
PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »
There's plenty of chairs to fill here :)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
I am an "n" of 1 - but if I had to interact with LTBBQ on Facebook or Twitter - I would not be doing it nearly as often, and eventually probably not at all... It is important to understand who  your customers and prospects are - for Char Broil's sake I hope theirs are Gen Y.

I suspect that their Product Managers have determined that their target population demographic is made up of facebook and twitter users and not necessarily forum frequenters.

Demographers have labeled—
          1900-1924 - G.I. Generation
          1925-1945 - Silent Generation
          1946-1964 - Baby Boom Generation
          1965-1979 - Generation X
          1980-2000 - Generation Y also Millennials
          2000/2001-Present - Generation Z also New Silent Generation

In some peoples' minds the dates move slightly, but there are definite trends within each grouping.  If you were trying to sell a product to new users and develop brand loyalty you would probably support the social media that your primary prospects use, especially if you can't spend an appreciable amount on another medium.

Think about your habits and those of your friends.  If they're Silent Generation they may use forums  (it's much like email) but facebook and twitter use is uncommon.  If  they're Baby Boomers they're probably email and forum users but there are still only a smattering of facebook and twitter users.  Generation X quickly adopted facebook and began to migrate away from forums. 

Generation Ys are getting married and buying their first grills.  Advertise to them and build brand loyalty.  Communicate with them via the media they use most—facebook and twitter.

I think D.R. was right, "[F]or Char Broil's sake I hope theirs are Gen Y."
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 03:15:19 PM »
Good analysis Paul. My work shows tha that are vastly more Baby Boomers  than any other generation buying - and using outdoor cooking equipment/grills. Why? They have more time ( most are at least partially retired) and they have worked long enough that they have more discretionary income. The kids are grown, and...well - a grill or smoker - combined with a good adult beverage is often much better than a therapist... ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »
Good analysis Paul. My work shows tha that are vastly more Baby Boomers  than any other generation buying - and using outdoor cooking equipment/grills. Why? They have more time ( most are at least partially retired) and they have worked long enough that they have more discretionary income. The kids are grown, and...well - a grill or smoker - combined with a good adult beverage is often much better than a therapist... ;) ;D

Very true, you'll never see a grill or smoker and a keg setup outside a therapist office.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 04:42:16 PM »
Sad to see that forum go away, but it is only a shell of its former self. Many thanks to Barry & those who participated there, and for migrating over here too. If it weren't for the Char-Broil forum, many of us wouldn't be here.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »
Facebook, You Tube, and Twitter have their uses and their places. However, in a niche a forum creates a sense of community that other media does not. Unfortunately, it looks like Char Broil, like many companies, is being swayed by the "new" social media and not looking at the communities they had and can build.

I am an "n" of 1 - but if I had to interact with LTBBQ on Facebook or Twitter - I would not be doing it nearly as often, and eventually probably not at all... It is important to understand who  your customers and prospects are - for Char Broil's sake I hope theirs are Gen Y.
You got it. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"