Author Topic: CharBroil forum closing  (Read 9982 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: CharBroil forum closing
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »
My work shows tha that are vastly more Baby Boomers  than any other generation buying - and using outdoor cooking equipment/grills. Why? They have more time ( most are at least partially retired) and they have worked long enough that they have more discretionary income.

I didn't think about that.  I suspect that you're right.  A forum is their home.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »
My story is so similar to Dee's story.
My wife bought me The Big Easy for Christmas in 2007 and in their manual, they offered their forum.  I joined so i could get some tips on how to use TBE.  In 2008, I got a CharBroil 4 burner Tru-Infrared grill and launched my "career" in backyard cookin'.
I became friends with many of the notorious people on that forum (you know who you are).  One afternoon I got a call from CB.  He was gonna be passin' through and wanted to stop by and take Deb & me to supper.  HECK NO!!!  We're gonna cook out.  I had not met Dee at the time, but knew he was about 3 hours away.  I invited him to come over to meet CB and we had a great time together for about 8 hours.  It was like long lost friends getting together again though our only connection was the forum.

I didn't know much about cookin' back in those days, but CharBroil's forum and LTBBQ have brought me along with a lot of patience. 

We've also had Don Bremer from Houston stop in several times as well as Tommy, Lost Arrow, High on Smoke (Michael) and Foodie Albert Rivera and his wife.  Don usually comes over about twice a year and when we put the word out, the others like to join us for the cookout.  We're just blessed to have made so many friends here.

So, yeah, I'll be kinda sad to see that chapter close, but I am "happy as a pig in slop" to be HERE with even MORE notorious people who really know how to cook and HAVE FUN DOIN' IT!!!! 

Pics???  you wanna see pics?  I have one of CB and me (there was a joke goin' around about my white coat)
I have one of CB & Dee at our kitchen table and there is one of the 2 inch thick rib eyes that CB bought and had me cook.
Lemme see if I can dig 'em up...

[attachment deleted by admin]
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Pappymn

CharBroil forum closing
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 10:25:04 PM »
Tomahawk Chops?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 10:37:16 PM »
If I remember correctly that "non-goal directed conversation" lasted until around one in the morning.  If I had not been a participant it would have been known as a BS session.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2014, 11:56:55 PM »
Great pic of Barry and Dee, but I am just looking at those steaks in the shot.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 08:38:31 AM »
If I remember correctly that "non-goal directed conversation" lasted until around one in the morning.  If I had not been a participant it would have been known as a BS session.  Dee

During that meal we started talking about having a gathering.  You picked it up and ran with the idea and that's why we have The Fall Gathering every year.

<><

Offline hikerman

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 08:47:38 AM »
Whoever said,"Nothing good happens after midnight" didn't know this bunch!  ;)

Offline RAD

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
It is a shame. :( I cut my teeth with SOTG, first with TBE(early 2009) looking for ways to use it, man did I find ways to use it. Because of the site I went on to buy more CB products:
RED (12/2009)
Fatboy (01/2010)
Electric smoker (1/2006) that CB posted a discounted price on.
BEESR (10/2011).

My first TBE died because I used it so much and I bought a second one. I still have all of the above, except the BEESR that I did not like. I use these products daily and now I am in the market for a new gasser, charcoal grill or smoker. Too many toys on my list but not enough $$ in the bank. >:(

I seriously doubt if I will be going back to CB. I am really starting to lean towards Weber for the charcoal grill. Not sure about the gasser (still un-decided) because I love the way the RED cooks a steak and not sure what other grill that can cook a steak like that. My problem with the RED is I had to replace the emitters twice and close to having to replace them again. The lettering wore off and after replacing it, it wore off again. The controls do not line up correctly. There are other issues but not here to slam that cooker.  I’ve had it for years and not sure how many years I am supposed to expect to get out of a $600 grill.

As for the smoker I have smoking-it #3 http://www.smokin-it.com/category_s/5.htm on my short list.

Point to all this rambling is, doesn’t CB understand the marketing gain with a site like SOTG brings? I now own the following and use the following spices because of LTBBQ:
Tatonka Dust
6” A-MAZE-N-Tube
40LB of CookinPellets 40H Hickory Smoking Pellets
Set of GrillGrates
Savor Spices
Etc… It called marketing….
Love to cook and eat

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »
RAD,

but with this SousVide thing we are all getting into I'm going to start using my SRG for a quick reverse sear,
infrared crust on my pieces coming out of the SV bath ;)

PLEASE don't tell me we are all going to SV now...I just got into the AKORN. 

B T W, do REAL men use that thing or do they use FIRE AND SMOKE?

just askin'...
<><

Offline hikerman

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;)
I'm starting to get a bit dizzy with all these directional changes. Let's hope the George Foreman grills don't come back in vogue!  :D

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
RAD,

but with this SousVide thing we are all getting into I'm going to start using my SRG for a quick reverse sear,

just askin'...

I always defer to the position that if I haven't tried it - that does not mean it is not a valid method - it only means I do not know enough about it.  But - now that I have tried it - I can tell you with complete confidence that, just like adding an A-Maze-N smoker tube, or using a remote digital thermometer...most of us were skeptical before using those too. ;)

I believe that using Sous Vide as an additional skill set - NOT as a replacement for grilling or smoking will only add to your abilities. Like improving one's knife skills...or learning how to flip the contents of a pan without losing them to the kitchen floor - this skill set just adds to what you already do well...and might make it better ;D ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
RAD,

just askin'...
Jack,we do.Im looking at getting cold smoked mixed into the SV,should be an incredible combo.And the economy of using really cheap cuts just allows me to do more. Loving it.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »

RAD,

just askin'...

I MEANT to add " ;) and  :P" as well as "J K"

I've been following Sunday for quite a while on other sites... I'm just not ready to go there right now.  I'm still in the backyard stage of my development.
<><

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 01:51:59 PM »
It's o.k. Jack...we are going to drag you into it ...kicking  and screaming if we must..... :D :D :D :D

You will love the results. I am thinking of bringing a SV rig to the FG just so that everyone there can see it work - and taste the reason it is getting so much play right now. It will not replace anything I do...but - when time allows, it will be used to make good food better ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Northshore

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »
I purchased a SRG last winter and enjoy it a lot.. Only char broil unit I have. Learned how to use it here on this forum. 
T another reason for keeping membership application as it is. Theirs was too open.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi