Author Topic: Greetings from the Boundary Waters, Minnesota!  (Read 1039 times)

Offline GrillinBWCA

• Boundary Waters, Minnesota
Greetings from the Boundary Waters, Minnesota!
« Reply #-1 on: June 21, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »
Hi,

My husband and I live in lake country near the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness) in northern Minnesota, and enjoy camping and cooking and traveling around the US from time to time.  We're trying to improve our outdoor cooking skills and like to cook with our Cobb cookers, outdoor Dutch ovens, and other assorted cooking toys.

We're terrible gardeners but we keep trying.  Since we live in the woods, there is a lot of competition between us and the local critters regarding who will get to the garden stuff first.

I have many hobbies including cooking, beading, counted cross stitch, knitting, crochet, tatting, etc.  I've sewed professionally and still love that, too.  I love to read murder mysteries, especially those set in the outdoors and/or in Minnesota.

We've owned a Brinkmann electric smoker for years but haven't learned how to use it yet.  Bad us, I know.  We're missing out on some good eats.

We currently have a five-burner CharBroil grill that we really want to love, but we don't.  I plan to start another thread to see if anyone has any suggestions about that.   :(

I'm looking forward to getting to know the people here and hopefully learn a thing or two, and maybe share a few tips of my own. 

Offline hikerman

Re: Greetings from the Boundary Waters, Minnesota!
« on: June 21, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
A warm Illinois greeting to you Grillin!  The lake country you live in is one of my favorite places to be. It's been 10 years since I've last canoed there but, we used to go twice/yr for about 15 years straight. I miss it, gotta get back! I'm envious of you!  ;D

Does your Brinkman have lava rock in bottom? If so that was the first smoker that I owned. I loved it.....many a Thanksgiving turkeys were smoked on it!

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
Welcome from Maine.  We live in the woods too so I know what you mean about those critters and your crops.  There are LOTS of knowledgeable people here with regard to cooker choices and the types of cooking you want to do so, yes, get that other thread done.  You will like it here.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
welcome from northern cali.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »
Greetings from Las Vegas.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

Greetings from the Boundary Waters, Minnesota!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »
Warm welcome from Woodbury, Minnesota. I think you are our fifth Minnesotan. Pretty soon Tee will give us a break on the monthly fee. ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
Welcome from Manitoba, Canada ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
Welcome from SE Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »
Welcome from NC.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
A warm and hearty welcome from Boulder, Colorado !!!
GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
Hi,

My husband and I live in lake country near the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness) in northern Minnesota, and enjoy camping and cooking and traveling around the US from time to time.  We're trying to improve our outdoor cooking skills and like to cook with our Cobb cookers, outdoor Dutch ovens, and other assorted cooking toys.

We're terrible gardeners but we keep trying.  Since we live in the woods, there is a lot of competition between us and the local critters regarding who will get to the garden stuff first.

I have many hobbies including cooking, beading, counted cross stitch, knitting, crochet, tatting, etc.  I've sewed professionally and still love that, too.  I love to read murder mysteries, especially those set in the outdoors and/or in Minnesota.

We've owned a Brinkmann electric smoker for years but haven't learned how to use it yet.  Bad us, I know.  We're missing out on some good eats.

We currently have a five-burner CharBroil grill that we really want to love, but we don't.  I plan to start another thread to see if anyone has any suggestions about that.   :(

I'm looking forward to getting to know the people here and hopefully learn a thing or two, and maybe share a few tips of my own.
You will love it here,all kinds of cooking for anyones taste.

Use the amazen smoker in your Brinkman,make great smoked meats and cheeses,and simple foolproof with the amazen.

Mrs a big crafter too,be sure to post in Hobbies.

Also in mtns,isnt mtn gardening a challenge,wow!!!! Keep at it,I have some suggestions on crops that work for us,and its taken YEARS to find them.

Dutch ovens? Oh yeah,my kind of cooking,though I have a LOT to learn on that,makes great bread in your oven using it for artisan bread,another easy peasy thing to do.

WELCOME from SoCal!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 12:16:50 AM »
Welcome from Southern California
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 12:18:50 AM »
Welcome from Brooklyn Park, MN - pretty soon we have to get all the MN folks together.

Ummmm... Pappy, are you STILL paying that fee? It's been a couple years now... just sayin'...  ;) :D

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 12:32:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum, from NE Ohio!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68