Author Topic: Western Digital personal cloud storage  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Sailor1

Re: Western Digital personal cloud storage
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »
PZ, just got a thought about your project.  I am very concerned about having my backup files stored off site because if something happens to the home the computer and backup "cloud" could be damaged.  I do use an off site back up service now plus we have 2 iMac,

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Pappymn

Western Digital personal cloud storage
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »
PZ, just got a thought about your project.  I am very concerned about having my backup files stored off site because if something happens to the home the computer and backup "cloud" could be damaged.  I do use an off site back up service now plus we have 2 iMac,

I have used crashplan for a couple of years and highly recommend it. Great product and pricing.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pz

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 08:27:58 PM »

I completely agree Sailor1 - I use offsite storage in the form of OwnCloud (free open source software), which I installed just yesterday after a thunderstorm caused our lights to brown-out.  Now my WDCloud backs up to OwnCloud on my hosting service

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 10:53:45 PM »
Not sure what happened when I posted this as it did not post the entire post so I will try to expand on what I was asking.

As I said, I do use an off site back up which is iDrive.  I have used carbonite and sugarsync in the past.  Also each of our desktop iMac's have and external drive so we can use Time Machine which auto backs up every 10 mins.  The time machine has image of every 10 mins every since we started using time machine about 3 years ago.  So here is my Question about WD Cloud.

If I would have my daughter that lives in Atlanta install WD cloud could I sync to her computer and back up my files on her WD Cloud and could she back up to WD cloud on my computer here in Florida?  My thinking is if something happens to my house say a fire, smoke damage or water damage and my external hard drive was fried and the local WD cloud was fried I would still have a mirror of my data stored on my daughters computer and she would have a mirror of her stuff on my WD cloud.  I am just thinking outside the box on what PZ posted about WD cloud and I am not sure if that would even work. 

As it is now my Time Machine auto backs everything up every 10 mins and iDrive backs up every night and backs up everything.  I have iDrive set to back up all program files, email files as well as data files.  I love learning about new tech and very interested in the WD cloud if I can store off site automatic backup. 

Sorry for being long winded.   ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline pz

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »
Now I understand - I'm not sure as I have not tried it yet, but your post sparks my interest in trying it from my office (remote location).  WDCloud has a feature called "Safe points" which essentially is an automated backup that is scheduled or manually activated.  Unfortunately it searches only your local network or USB for storage devices.  However, there is a desktop client that you can install which gives you access to the cloud from anywhere.  I know you can map the cloud drive.  With this being the case, I'm wondering if you can use a backup utility on a remote computer to use the mapped cloud drive as destination for the backup.

I'll try it and report back, because your idea is a good one, especially because then you have the offsite redundancy that is essential for bulletproof data storage.