Author Topic: Just returned home from a 3-week RV road trip (warning: pic intensive)  (Read 595 times)

Offline pz

Just returned home from a 3-week RV road trip (warning: pic intensive)
« Reply #-1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:03:56 PM »
Last winter we planned our trip, which this year was to Carlsbad cavern because neither of us had been there.  Our plan was only to have that as a destination, and whatever happened along the way would be taken day by day.  We experienced many things we never expected such as Custer's battlefield, a Coors brewery tour, and a New Belgium tour among many others.  Unfortunately most of the time it was so windy that we were not able to enjoy sitting outside the rig, but here in Fort Collins, we had a great day

Flags are out for our boy deployed overseas

Shrimp on the barbie

Have to enjoy a chilled white on a day like this

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Looks like a great time.  Prayers for your boy.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Love getting out with the wife and go camping.   Looks like a good time had by all

Prayers for your boy
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Sounds like a great time!!! Looks like the wife is doing shrimp, my favorite on the grill!!! Hope the son makes it home safe!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Sounds like a great trip pz!  Beautiful looking 5th wheel.  We visited Carlsbad Caverns this Spring - what an awe inspiring tour.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline pz

Thanks for the concern, gents - we hope this is his last deployment, but he enjoys being in the thick of things

These are images from the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument.  We did not know this, but the Native Americans were instrumental in changing the name because of the focus on Custer and not on the bigger picture.  The Ranger told is an interesting story that I also was not aware of.  He told us that Custer had a few hundred soldiers under his command, and that his charge was to return the Native Americans to the reservations.  Custer sent out scouts to gather intel, and they reported that there was a large village in the valley.  Turns out that the "large village" was actually 3 miles in diameter, and consisted of approximately 7000 teepees.  The scouts further reported that there were only women and children present.  Custer relied on this information and sent Reno to the head of the valley with half the men with the charge that they herd the women and children toward Custer, who would be at the other end of the valley.

What Custer didn't know was that the "village" had partied the night before and the men were actually not gone hunting - they were sleeping and as such were not visible to the scouts.  To compound the disaster, Reno had his men dismount and form a skirmish line, firing shots into the air - the Indian men then came boiling out of the teepees, weapons in hand and furious for a fight.  The end result is that there were a few hundred 7th soldiers against thousands of sleep-deprived angry Indians - the outcome was inevitable

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Sounds like a great trip, pictures are great, nice looking rig to spend time in on the road.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Nice trip.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
What a great opportunity it is to travel this great country.

You say your son likes to be in the thick of things.  That's something many people can't understand about soldiers who are true warriors. Warriors don't want war but when the bugle is blown they want to be there because that is what they have trained for.  It also has something to do with the loyalty to their fellow warriors.  Sort of a "If my fellow warriors are going to be in battle, I want to be there to help them" attitude and code. It's kind of beyond my writing ability to really explain it well, but maybe you can get the jest of my thought.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN

You say your son likes to be in the thick of things.  That's something many people can't understand about soldiers who are true warriors. Warriors don't want war but when the bugle is blown they want to be there because that is what they have trained for.  It also has something to do with the loyalty to their fellow warriors.  Sort of a "If my fellow warriors are going to be in battle, I want to be there to help them" attitude and code. It's kind of beyond my writing ability to really explain it well, but maybe you can get the jest of my thought.

Dee
Well said Dee!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Pz thanks for sharing the pictures and thanks for your son's valuable service to our country!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Great pics - thanks pz!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$

Dee
Well said Dee!

X2 ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Looks like a real fun trip PZ! Fantastic looking photos! Prayers are for your son to return safely from his
deployment.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline pz

Beer tour - New Belgium
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 02:47:58 AM »

Dee

Thank you, Dee, your comments are most eloquent and perfectly reflect what our son has expressed to us.

We managed to get a last minute tour of New Belgium, the people that brew Fat Tire - an old Airstream

Check in for the tours - typically they need a 2 week reservation, but we got lucky and were the last two on on the waiting list

Me...

... and my sweetie