Author Topic: SRG FROZEN GAS VALVE  (Read 6839 times)

Offline GG-STL

SRG FROZEN GAS VALVE
« Reply #-1 on: January 29, 2021, 09:22:07 AM »
The temperature got down in the teens 4 days ago, has been in the 20's at night and 30's during the day. Tried to start a cook on the SRG last night and the gas valve was FROZEN closed. Has anyone had this problem. I had no problem with the propane tank valve, it was just the SRG valve. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, can't wait until spring to cook again.

THANKS
GnG
GG-STL

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: SRG FROZEN GAS VALVE
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:53:13 AM »
Does not get that cold down here in Bama (ROLL TIDE) ! 

Have you tried to warm the valve by placing it in the garage or use a hair drier/ heat gun to thaw it out?   Even a heat lamp would be good if you had one
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Lines

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 01:34:40 PM »
Living up north most of my life I've experienced lots of things freezing overnight. Not a propane valve, but many fuel lines on various pieces of equipment. It must have warmed up enough through the daytime temps to cause condensation to form on the cold valve. Enough condensation may have formed to freeze the valve inside when the temps dropped back under freezing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:02:03 PM by Lines »

Offline GG-STL

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 05:11:17 PM »
The valve was not FROZEN it just failed. I removed the hose-valve-regulator assembly from the SRG and brought it in the house, after 4 hours the valve would depress but would not turn.
Lucky for me this is SRG #3 and I keep all parts that still work. So I replaced the hose-valve-regulator assembly and it is working fine.
I purchased SRG #3 and #4 in Sept 2018 from HSN for $139.95 each. But I just put #3 in service 6 months ago. SRG #2 was purchased and started cooking April 2014 and cooked GREAT for 6 years, it actually went to a friend that need a grill and is still cooking.
GG-STL

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 05:26:08 PM »
I love my SRG and bought mine just after they came out and do not remember when.  The only problem that I have had is with the heat chamber separating on the bottom edges and I had to replace.  It is my still "go to" grill when I want to do things quick especially chicken wings, parts, or whole using my Weber Poultry Roaster.  Charbroil made a big mistake by stopping selling it.