Author Topic: World Series Pork Chops  (Read 6355 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
World Series Pork Chops
« Reply #-1 on: October 27, 2021, 10:31:21 PM »
Grilled some chops on the Memphis Elite tonight. Marinaded for a few hours in the fridge with soy sauce, Worcestershire, mustard and a little bit of Kosmos Killer Bee rub. Seared on the flat side of the Grillgrates for a few minutes per side, then finished on the regular grates. Mashed potatoes are seasoned with Kosmos Texas Beef rub. My wife says I should write Kosmo and tell him that rub has no business on beef, that it is made for potatoes. Soy sauce is my new secret weapon when marinading or brining stuff!

Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline Ka Honu

Re: World Series Pork Chops
« on: October 27, 2021, 11:41:09 PM »
... Soy sauce is my new secret weapon ...

Soy sauce, Worcestershire, and fish sauce are all great add-ins to get that umami flavor (and a little coffee never hurt a beef dish).

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline ronman451

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 12:10:36 AM »
Fish Sauce! Brilliant. Great tip, thanks!

Soy sauce, Worcestershire, and fish sauce are all great add-ins to get that umami flavor (and a little coffee never hurt a beef dish).

Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 03:22:03 AM »
ronman, that looks really delicious. The soy sauce, fish sauce, and Worcestershire are great add-ins. I've heard about coffee rubs but have never tried them. Guess I'll try to up my game on the next steak I grill. Good job on the chops.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 07:58:51 AM »
Looks beautiful
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 09:03:35 AM »

I use fish sauce...SPARINGLY. It is a very powerful ingredient. Kinda like marinated toe jam and kerosene.... :o 8) :D
( If you ever see how it is made....you may not use it again...jus'sayin'..... ;))
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 05:40:48 PM »

Jus' sayin'...

I am never far away from a big bottle of Lea & Perrins . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline 1MoreFord

• Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 09:10:47 PM »

I use fish sauce...SPARINGLY. It is a very powerful ingredient. Kinda like marinated toe jam and kerosene.... :o 8) :D
( If you ever see how it is made....you may not use it again...jus'sayin'..... ;))

Then you are using a crappy brand of fish sauce.  Try some Red Boat fish sauce, it's sometimes too delicate for cooking.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 07:32:19 AM »

Then you are using a crappy brand of fish sauce.  Try some Red Boat fish sauce, it's sometimes too delicate for cooking.
I am going call your statement..."presumptive". Because that is a mixed -company approved word. :D Those that know me, know I am a tested "super-taster". Which is not to say better...just different. And - regardless of whether I purchased my fish sauce in Thailand - or Williams-Sonoma...or Sur la Table...( and I have...) they are ALL powerful. You may find it beneficial to ask others for their input as you season. I do. If you have been in an otherwise expensive, highly rated resturant - yet found that the food is over-salted...then you have evidence of a chef that does not ask others for input on the "intensity" of a given seasoning - in this case...salt. ( Of which there is a great deal of in fish sauce as well BTW. ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ronman451

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 12:08:56 PM »
... Those that know me, know I am a tested "super-taster"...

I am fascinated by super-tasters! I saw a documentary once with Alan Alda who is also a supertaster. He was actually here in New Mexico at the Fiery Foods Fiesta during the interview. Seems like it could be a curse/blessing.

p.s. How was your recent trip to NM? I assume it was a hunting trip?
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 02:37:06 PM »
It is as much a pain the buttocks as a blessing :). I can't drink  bitter beers or strong IPAs - they make me puke. Seriously. But I can usually pick out most of the ingredients in a sauce, or casserole, etc...it is not universal for all super tasters. Each may have certain things that are very hightened - or detented. Salt is very "up-front" for me as are acids.

This year's hunt was a real treat for me. I was only interested in ONE big scoring set of antlers. I have always only hunted for meat...but - time for a rack on the wall. So - I have a friend who knew I hunted - but had never expressed any interest in it approach me and ask if "anybody" could go hunt Elk. Mind you, he had never even owned a centerfire rifle...let alone hunt game. This was a weeklong horseback hunt at 10,000+ feet in the San Juans above Cuba NM....Long story short...I spent about 10 months teaching and training. Fundamentals of shooting, ballistics, accuracy, how survive in the woods if lost, selection of the right gear - boots and layers....buying a rifle, scope and rangefinder....and how to accurate/consistency with them....years of hunting experience crammed into about the time it takes to make a baby ( full term..not 15 minutes...) - and how to ride a horse.....
So - when I got to camp - I had a private conversation with the guides and explained this was his first ever hunt.  And I wanted him to have the first shot opportunity. And - he remembered his training.....downed a HUGE bodied , mature 5x5 that probably weighed 900 lbs. I have to tell you Ron, I was more proud of HIS success as someone that I had the privilege to mentor - than if I had shot the Elk myself...

You can see a lot of pictures from this trip at:   teesquare.smugmug.com
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 01:59:57 PM »
Who knew tee had a super power (even if it's not the one I would have guessed)?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 09:01:00 PM »
Who knew tee had a super power (even if it's not the one I would have guessed)?

You mean the one that keeps my eyebrows well groomed? :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401