Author Topic: Snack sticks - round 2  (Read 67946 times)

Offline DWard51

Snack sticks - round 2
« Reply #-1 on: September 21, 2014, 11:28:09 PM »
Ok, after apparently screwing up the measurements on the spices for my first batch of snack sticks, I figured I would go with a pre-packaged mix for round 2.  Went to the local Gander Mountain retail store and picked up a 20lb kit of Hi-Mountain's original flavor snack sticks.  Then went across the road to Sam's Club and picked up about 9 pounds of 80% lean ground beef that was ground just minutes before I walked in (I mean minutes.  They were taking it out of the lug and packaging it up as I watched).  I needed 5 pounds and the packages were all 4.5 pounds or less, so I had to get two.

Measured the meat to within .2 ounces precision for exactly 5 pounds.

Mixed the spice and cure using some Bud Black Crown instead of water.  The spice & cure both came in 4 sealed packages. Two packages of each, the cure and the spice, so if the kit makes 20 pounds of snack sticks, 1 package of each makes 10 pounds. I needed to use 1/2 of a sealed packet of both of them for 5 pounds. Instructions said to use "up to 1/4 cup of ice cold water per pound" so I used 1 cup of the ice cold beer to mix the cure and spice before adding it to the meat.

To avoid any measurement issues, I went metric grams instead of the teaspoon/tablespoon volumes.   Dumped one of the cure packets into a small bowl that I had zeroed out on my digital scale (.01 gm precision model).  Total in the packet was 121 grams so I measured out 60.5 grams and put the other 60.5 grams back into the zip lock bag it came from.  Did the same for the spice mix.  Total in the packet was 99.5 grams so I used 49.75 grams and kept the other half for the next batch.

Mixed by hand until nice and tacky and no evidence of pink unmixed meat could be seen.  Then into the Kitchener 5lb stuffer.  Odd  think was my precisely measured 5 pounds of ground beef did not exactly fit in the 5 pounds stuffer.  Had about a small hand full that had to be added after I made some room.  Go figure.

Used one of the four tubes of 22mm casings that came in the kit (or is it 20mm?  I forget).  The 22mm worked much better than the 17mm casings I used on my first batch (it was what I had).  Used the LEM 3/8" stainless tube for the stuffing and one entire tube just did fit that stuffer tube. Ended up with two sets of "rounds" that are now resting in the fridge.

Fried up the dregs from the cleanup of the stuffer.  Has a pretty good flavor, but is a little salty.  Not sure if this will mellow as it rests or not, but I measured about as precisely as was possible and it's a prepackaged mix.

I'm going to let them sit overnight in the fridge to let the flavors blend.   Will take them out and let the come up to room temp for about a hour tomorrow.  I plan on using my AMZNPS pellet tray to smoke them using some of Todd's pitmaster blend for a couple of hours tomorrow.  Since I have two rounds, I'll probably just set them on the two racks of the 18.5" WSM and use it for the cold smoke chamber.

Then plan "A" is to toss a 1,500 watt element into the bottom of the WSM after smoking to bring the temp up and cook them to 152*.  I tried to use that element and small cast pot as a heating element & smoke generator in the WSM a while back.  The element still has the thermal limiter inside and with the small pot on the element inside the WSM it kept shutting down and not really making smoke.  My recollection is it did heat the interior of the WSM and the jerky I was doing at the time just fine.  So I'm going to try that element with nothing on top of it. 

Plan "B" (which was originally plan "A") is use the LEM 10 tray dehydrator.  But I wanted some smoke first.  I may still finish them in the dehydrator.  Guess I will flip a coin tomorrow and see how it goes.  So this is sort of a maybe "dehydrator" post.

Stuffed them pretty tight, but no blowouts. Each is approximately 2.5 pounds.  Only photo was of the stuffed sticks/rounds.  I'll post more tomorrow.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:35:14 PM by DWard51 »

Offline txpops

Re: Snack sticks - round 2
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »
Lookin good. I have always found Hi-Mountain and Lem mixes to be too salty for my taste. I really like the Hi-Country and Con Yeager mixes I have tried.

Mike
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:30:52 AM »
Looking mighty fine so far, excellent job on the stuffing.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:49 AM »
Very nice work.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:46:36 AM »
They look like they are ready for some smoke now ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:33 AM »
WSM is prepped for the smoke phase, and the sticks are laying out to air dry and come up to room temp for an hour.

The more I think about this, it may be a hybrid smoke.  While the sticks are air drying and warming, I'm running a test in the WSM with the heating element.  It's a 1,100 watt element and as long as I can manage the thermal limiter issue, I think it should provide adequate heat for this project.  The plan (for now) is assuming the element provides sufficient heat, I will set the pellet tray on top of the clay pot base for the smoke phase.  I can run low heat from the element that way.  If I'm not getting sufficient air for the tray, I can move it to another grate set on top of the fire ring in the WSM with a small piece of foil under the tray to catch any ashes.

Sticks will stay in rounds and lay on two grates at the top grate level.  I will cut three small blocks of wood to space the 2nd grate over the first.

So I guess this may not end up being a dehydrator post after all...    Unless plan "A" fails then it's back to the dehydrator for the final heating and drying of the sticks.

Five minutes into running the heating element the WSM is already at 155* on the WSM's dome Tel Tru thermometer.  Looks like this is going to work. I just have to dial in the correct temp range on the analog heating element control (until I can make a PID controller for this, but that is another story and I'm just starting to think about that).  I'm going to let it run on full power to see how high I can go while the stick are drying in the house.

More to come....

Here is the setup for Plan "A"

Offline DWard51

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »
Oh yeah...... we got heat.  I'm pulling the clay pot base as I don't see needing that much mass for an electric smoke.  It will take too long to heat up with that in there anyway.  Running the old style WSM shallow water pan only as a drip pan to protect the element.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:55:35 AM by DWard51 »

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 12:14:05 PM »
This is going to be interesting, will be watching until the end.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline DWard51

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »
Without the clay pot base, the WSM ran at a steady 175* on the heating element.  Fired up a partial tray of Pitmaster Blend pellets from both ends for smoke.  Then loaded the sticks onto the two WSM grates at the top level. No heat to start, just smoke. And we are off......   

Yeah, I know.... the outside of the WSM looks dirty.  It lives outside, and the flash makes it look worse than it is, so whatever.....

Offline DWard51

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »
Trying to dial the heating element using the analog knob is hit or miss.  I have a Omega PID I bought a while back for a cabinet build.  Cabinet is still siting with the blown in poly foam in it for a "one of these days" project.

I'm thinking if this works, I may buy one of the Brinkmann 1,500 watt elements and make a PID plug in controller box just for snack sticks in the WSM.  Or I could be el-cheapo and gut the 1,100 watt element I have to take out the analog control and the thermal limiter and let the PID run the show.

For now I'm fiddling with the analog dial to find the right place to hold around 120* degrees for a few hours.  I put the BBQ Guru probe on the grate as it gives me a grate level temp and is easier to read from inside the house.  No fan, just the pit probe alone.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
This is getting real interesting, thanks for the updates.  ;)
----------------------

Offline DWard51

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
Ran 4 hours of smoke at the 125-130 range.  They have taken on a nice color compared to the start (see above).  Time to start bumping up the heat towards the final temps.

Offline txpops

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »
Lookin good so far. Nice color
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »
Looking good.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 07:20:35 PM »
----------------------